Load box, need advice

• Thread starter fcv
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fcv

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been looking to buy a reactive load box, and am having trouble deciding what I want. Intended usage is silent record tube amps.

Originally I was kinda assuming I was going to buy a two notes captor. I then started looking into more options due to the captor x being fairly new. Looking at that seemed to mainly just be a bunch of random features mashed on, some possibly useful, although not really in my case(ir loading), some seemly like they don't belong at all(reverb), and some I'd worry about being a bad thing(I'd worry about interferance from the wireless). I have seen a few posts suggesting the load may have improved, but without anything credible I don't think I'm going near that for that kind of price increase.

Next up was I've seen quite a few recommendations on the suhr reachtive load. Overall in comparisons I've seen it really doesn't seem a whole lot different than the captor. In solo comparisons I've noticed a few things I can generally pick them apart by, but I don't really have much of an opinion which is better, and I can't pick them apart in a mix anyway.

Lastly I also got looking at the Flyette Power Load. Definatly costs a bit more, but seemed really nice is comparisons, and seems to be well regarded. Also has the 4/8/16 ohm selection, which sounds nice, but realistically I'd probably only ever use 8 anyway.

So at this point I'm actually leaning towards the Fryette, but I recognize the diference between all of these is pretty small, and I question whether I'd even be able to tell the distance in a mix. If I wasn't going to notice the difference, I'd rather save some money and just get the captor. Any advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
If you don't need any of the features of these other than the reactive load and a line out then the Original Suhr load might work for you and it's $400 compared to the Ir version for $600.
- I know I keep praising it to death but I'm a huge fan of my Sequis Motherload Pro. It's no longer made but really awesome. There's one on Reverb right now for about $400. There's also their Elemental version that can be bought new for about that much too. They both have attenuators and speaker sims and other stuff built inside also, but they will act also as a straight load box without using the other stuff too if wanted. Sequis is the way to go without getting into higher dollar stuff. The Pro version on Reverb right now use to cost $1200 new btw, fwiw.

- The Fryette stuff is basically top notch.
Apparently there's a PowerLoad IR and Valvulator GPDI/IR too also I can't find any info on!?

- The current Power Load looks great though and has useful stuff like headphone and built in power amp too. It's hard to go wrong with the Fryette. I'd go Fryette over the Suhr personally.

DaZoner

Reaction score
I have an original captor(8 ohm) and it's been working great so far. I'm not too big on the WOS cab IR's, but there's plenty of 3rd party stuff out there.

That newish Boss reactive load/IR loader box is really good but is also far from cheap.

I think it really depends how much you want to spend. All the options are pretty decent nowadays.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Allegedly the Suhr works better with Mesa amps, at least the Rectifiers. Allegedly the Two Notes stuff doesn't play well with some of the Mesa gear.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
I took SSO's advice and got the Suhr, as I already had access to the Two Notes stuff.

fcv

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
- I know I keep praising it to death but I'm a huge fan of my Sequis Motherload Pro. It's no longer made but really awesome. There's one on Reverb right now for about $400. There's also their Elemental version that can be bought new for about that much too. They both have attenuators and speaker sims and other stuff built inside also, but they will act also as a straight load box without using the other stuff too if wanted. Sequis is the way to go without getting into higher dollar stuff. The Pro version on Reverb right now use to cost $1200 new btw, fwiw.

I've seen you recommend these before when searching through older threads, but considering the age / price combo, found it a bit hard to consider a good option. I kind of get the impression that this stuff has improved enough in recent times, that a modern mid tier might be better than an old high tier, so especially with the lack of comparisons I see around for the mother, the used mother old enough to be discontinued doesn't sound too appealing versus the new current fryette when it's only $400 vs $500. Maybe if I was trying to scrape out something good at the lowest cost and was confident I'd like it, but that seems like too little of a price difference for me to want to do something I consider a much higher risk.

I have an original captor(8 ohm) and it's been working great so far. I'm not too big on the WOS cab IR's, but there's plenty of 3rd party stuff out there.

That newish Boss reactive load/IR loader box is really good but is also far from cheap.

I think it really depends how much you want to spend. All the options are pretty decent nowadays.

Did not know about the boss, but considering the price, not going to be considering that an option, as it's more expensive than the Freyette and I don't know of why I would want the boss over that.

But that's basically the thing, I'm willing to spend more if I'm thinking it will sound better, but I'm not entirely sure if the Freyette is actually going to sound better or if the captor just needs a nob or 2 tweaked and then result end up being something I wouldn't be able to tell apart at the end.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I've seen you recommend these before when searching through older threads, but considering the age / price combo, found it a bit hard to consider a good option. I kind of get the impression that this stuff has improved enough in recent times, that a modern mid tier might be better than an old high tier, so especially with the lack of comparisons I see around for the mother, the used mother old enough to be discontinued doesn't sound too appealing versus the new current fryette when it's only $400 vs $500. Maybe if I was trying to scrape out something good at the lowest cost and was confident I'd like it, but that seems like too little of a price difference for me to want to do something I consider a much higher risk.

Did not know about the boss, but considering the price, not going to be considering that an option, as it's more expensive than the Freyette and I don't know of why I would want the boss over that.

But that's basically the thing, I'm willing to spend more if I'm thinking it will sound better, but I'm not entirely sure if the Freyette is actually going to sound better or if the captor just needs a nob or 2 tweaked and then result end up being something I wouldn't be able to tell apart at the end.

I get it. I'd probably be the same way. For the information of it the Pro version was discontinued because one of the stepped pot parts for the selectable filters was no longer available. In order to make another batch of them there would be a large cost.

- Here's a clip I put in another thread today of a quick test using my Motherload Pro loading down my VHT (Fryette) 2-50-2 being fed by my Mesa VTwin rack preamp.
- I'll copy paste from that thread and put it here for convenience.

- So I finally unpacked my 2-50-2 and a single MotherLoad and did some quick tests. I used the V-Twin rack in the VHT in class-A mode and only used channel B (so half the amp). I loaded it down without a speaker using the Sequis Motherload and just went direct into the recorder. All VHT knobs are around 1pm and the voicing switch is out.

- Absolutely nothing was done to mix anything, not even levels were normallized or anything. All unity gain settings.
This is all just 2 of the million combinations of speaker sim sounds I can get from the Motherload's onboard speaker simulator. I chose one that sounds more like a normal IR sound for the Tool/Sabbath riff and another that sounds more like my rig for the other/original riff. It sounds really a lot tighter than it is though but that's just the playing. It's supposed to sound looser. It was just a sloppy quicky, but sloppy quickys are good sometimes : )
- I like how it sounds a lot more than the straight preamp signal using power amps sims and IR's for sure.
-

https://soundcloud.com/user-460395900/sets/motherload-test-examples

Diocide

Reaction score
I have an original Captor and it sounds like it’ll do what you need.

if you’re not loading IRS in the unit, it’s a super solid and inexpensive way to go.

Chebax

Reaction score
I bought the Two Notes Captor and ended up returning it and getting a Suhr Reactive Load. Couldn’t be happier with the change.

It was night and day in terms of build quality, the Suhr is built like a tank and it makes the Captor feel cheap in comparison. Also the Captor made some weird low freq distortion with my Rectifier (maybe I got a lemon, maybe it’s true that they don’t work well with Mesas).

The Suhr Reactive Load is a good example of a piece of gear that only does one thing but it’s great at it.

fcv

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I bought the Two Notes Captor and ended up returning it and getting a Suhr Reactive Load. Couldn’t be happier with the change.

It was night and day in terms of build quality, the Suhr is built like a tank and it makes the Captor feel cheap in comparison. Also the Captor made some weird low freq distortion with my Rectifier (maybe I got a lemon, maybe it’s true that they don’t work well with Mesas).

The Suhr Reactive Load is a good example of a piece of gear that only does one thing but it’s great at it.
I'm actually finding this really interesting, because I also noticed something in low frequencies going on that I didn't like in some comparison on a two notes load box. I was kinda half chaulking it up to the comparer not setting something right, or doing something wrong, as I wasn't hearing it in most others, but it was memorable, so it's real nice to hear it might be more than an isolated case.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
The Suhr is the best, without a doubt.

fcv

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, I ordered a Suhr Reactive Load. With so many of you being happy with it, I figured I didn't really need the Freyette and would save a few bucks.

teof

Reaction score
Hi guys, sorry for hijacking this thread. I have a Peavey 6505 MH coming my way. I would love to try it with a cabinet some time down the future if i have enough space in my bedroom but at current, I would to have the mini head set up with a loadbox and soft/hardware IR loader. I'm looking at Two Notes Torpedo Captor given it seems to be one of the cheaper option. Noticed that it comes with the 8ohm and 16ohm models. Im totally new into this loadbox concept. Would like to seek your advice which one I should be getting for the 6505 MH which comes with Impedance switch for 16 or 8ohm cabinets.

Matt08642

Reaction score
Another recommendation for the Suhr RL here. Absolutely kicking myself for not buying mine sooner!

Reaction score
Ok, I'm a bit late to the OP's party, but I'll leave my experience.

I'm using 2 Captor 8 load boxes to have my stereo rig going into the audio interface. My rig is a Mesa Boogie Triaxis + GForce + Mesa Boogie 2:Fifty. This way I'll record wet directly into the DAW. (I prefer to use the G-Force FXs than to mess with VSTs besides compressor, EQs and limiters). Although not perfect, I monitor my sounds with the Captors' internal analogue Cab/speaker simulation (Guitar/off/Bass + phase switch = 6 options). I found that the simulations sound different with the phase switch when isolated, and I prefer the phase at 180º...

I'm recording the Triaxis record outs (stereo) and both dry and speaker simulated outs from the Captors. This totals 6 tracks in the DAW that I'll mix to taste with the WoS applied to the DRY tracks from the Captors. I've found no problems with bass frequencies as some of you reported, but that may well be with the rectifier series, the Triaxis is mostly a Mark tones collection. My Triaxis is a phat mod one, and I've never been able to dial an interesting tone out of the LD1 RED, either before and after having the Captors.

I've also tested the Captor's analogue speaker sim at a friends studio against the a Fender amp own speaker. The captor was then routed to a mix console and directed to FRFR power. It sounded pretty damn good, like a different flavor speaker, but with all attack nuances as the Fender's.

So, if the point is to load IRs in the DAW exclusively and there's no live use in mind, the regular/older Captors are, in my opinion a no brainer due to its price tag/versus delivered quality (built and sound), but I must also state that I have no experience with any other load-box.

laxu

Reaction score
- The Fryette stuff is basically top notch.
Apparently there's a PowerLoad IR and Valvulator GPDI/IR too also I can't find any info on!?

They haven't been able to release them due to difficulties getting the parts for them. But they are coming.

For OPs usage I would just buy the Suhr Reactive Load. If you are in Europe, the Bluetone Loadbox is also a good option. Then you run that to your audio interface and use VST plugins for cab sims.

I own the Fryette PS-100 and the Bluetone and for silent recording uses there is no difference between them. I use the Bluetone more for this purpose because it has a big line level knob right on the front panel. The analog cab sim on the Bluetone is a pile of rubbish and so is the headphone out but otherwise it's a good unit. They can build a "lite" version without any of that stuff and can also customize the attenuator settings which by default are more suitable for home use.

The Fryette is obvious way, way better when used with a real guitar cab because it has a full tube poweramp, an fx loop, continuous volume control etc goodies packed into it. Not having a built in cab sim is a plus in my book because you can just pair it with your favorite plugins or hardware IR loader and thus that part can be upgraded in the future as new tech comes to market.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Hi guys, sorry for hijacking this thread. I have a Peavey 6505 MH coming my way. I would love to try it with a cabinet some time down the future if i have enough space in my bedroom but at current, I would to have the mini head set up with a loadbox and soft/hardware IR loader. I'm looking at Two Notes Torpedo Captor given it seems to be one of the cheaper option. Noticed that it comes with the 8ohm and 16ohm models. Im totally new into this loadbox concept. Would like to seek your advice which one I should be getting for the 6505 MH which comes with Impedance switch for 16 or 8ohm cabinets.

For that head (and for most heads) it doesn’t really matter. Either will work. Take a look at some other heads you might be interested in in the future and see if they have both 8 and 16 ohm outputs.

VESmedic

Reaction score
I'm actually finding this really interesting, because I also noticed something in low frequencies going on that I didn't like in some comparison on a two notes load box. I was kinda half chaulking it up to the comparer not setting something right, or doing something wrong, as I wasn't hearing it in most others, but it was memorable, so it's real nice to hear it might be more than an isolated case.

your ears aren’t wrong… not all load boxes are created equally. Do a search on suhr and two notes impedence curves: you’ll see exactly why the two notes sounds terrible in the low end. Cliff from fractal has talked about this before, do a search on google and you will find it. But basically he states that the reason the two notes compared to others doesn’t perform right below 100 hz( as the graphs clearly show) is because it uses cheap transducers. You need bigger, better stuff to get the impedence curve right down low where all the energy in the tone is. Now granted, different makes use different impedence curves on their reactive loads, but the two notes has a weird low end roll off below 100 hz, almost like a high pass filter, while the others ( suhr specifically) has a nice resonant hump around 125, much the same as the inside of a 4x12 gives.

on that note, I’m probably selling my two notes and getting driftwoods loadbox. I’ve heard from many it is simply the best period, and many of my friends have sold their suhr RL and st rock reactive IR’s ( which are very similar to each other tone wise)

')