Local band rudeness?

• Thread starter PyramidSmasher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Encephalon5

Six String Bass Fish
Reaction score
Dude, I'm in a band from Raleigh called Beyond The Pillars. We deal with this shit all the fucking time and I haven't the slightest idea why. We've been told we're huge assholes and all that good stuff, which is rather odd since we all happen to be quite personable and will gladly chat with you if the opportunity presents itself. Most people seem to be cool with us, but you've a few dissident voices that just want to cause shit and ruin the experience for everyone. It's frustrating and quite sad. I think a lot of people just forget why they started making music in the first place.

This being said, there are a lot of really great people locally that we have hung out/played with. Not everyone is a dick-just certain people, which I'm sure the same could be said for your situation.

Tl;DR: Not everyone is an asshole. Just some people. Relax and make some music. Fuck it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
Isn't Cleveland (as well as some other parts of the midwest) poseurcore central? That might be part of it. :lol: PDX metal bands are all super friendly and chill. :yesway:

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's all about coming to peace with your own abilities really. I've found that the better reputation you have on the scene (for whatever reason, be it your live act, your playing or your tone etc.) the more friendly and helpful you get. But people who have a good amount of skill that they feel isn't acknowledged enough, they tend to be really hard to deal with. Same thing with people who aren't that good at playing as other bands and feel they have to one-up the other bands some other way, they also tend to be douches. The more insecure you are, the more you try to over-compensate and cover it up trying to fool people into thinking you're hot shit. It's really all about feeling threatened by other bands and not wanting anyone to "realize" they're better than you.

In the case of my band, we're not the "biggest" local band by any means, even if we're doing well. But we're known to be above average players, have good songs and good gear/tone and other musicians tend to respect that. So when we also make an effort to stick around and see the other bands on the bill and hang out with them backstage and always go out and mingle with the audience, we make a great impression and have made tons of friends both in and out of bands by doing so. We get invited to gig with bigger bands not because they want us to draw a bigger crowd, but because they like us :shrug:And most importantly, we are comfortable enough with our music, playing and uniqueness not to feel threatened by other bands.

The greatest duches in a local scene..... Was those that I was in a band with, seriously, more arrogant pricks you'd have to look for, especially the drummer. They were so full of themselves, since they played BRuuuuTaLzzzz, and coveniantly forgetting that none of them were contributing material to the band.

They were also rude enough to complain about my song-writing (not brutalz enougn), I love constructive critizism, but you can stick unjustified critique were the sun shineth not

That sucks... I'm the only songwriter in my band, and although I'm fine with that and love to get input from the other members anyway, I would never tolerate the guys bashing MY songs if they can't write any of their own. Without songs they wouldn't have a band to be in at all, so they should either contribute or shut up.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
Oh man I completely agree with you there. What my situation was, was that I didnt even have a few minutes to myself. Normally if someone wants to talk to me or chill, im real good at making time to hang out. I dont smoke, but I will go out and goof off with people that do. Asthma be damned.
That show just kept me running around so much that i became bit tunnel visioned trying keep the show running. Id like to think we made it up to everybody because we all went back to the garage, got drunk (beer was on us) and finished the set for them.

thats way different. being busy is different than ignoring. what i was understanding is there are some people out there that are totally ignoring people.:noway:

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
That sucks... I'm the only songwriter in my band, and although I'm fine with that and love to get input from the other members anyway, I would never tolerate the guys bashing MY songs if they can't write any of their own. Without songs they wouldn't have a band to be in at all, so they should either contribute or shut up.

Yeah, it got pretty ugly by the end... Mainly because I believe the drummer had such a strong vision of the band that he felt threatened, hur I don't know...

Well, the whole band went overboard when I moved, the new guitar player weren't a songwriter, or a lead player for that matter... Poetic justice i guess, but it wasn't the least bit satisfying to see the band I had worked for disintegrate. We still met up and play occasionally, but it isn't a band anymore. Well, I hope for my two new projects instead:yesway:

I saw Rhinestone at the Seaside festival one or two years ago, and I think you're a killer band! I was really impressed then:yesway:

PyramidSmasher

Chess Dragon
Reaction score
Isn't Cleveland (as well as some other parts of the midwest) poseurcore central? That might be part of it. :lol: PDX metal bands are all super friendly and chill. :yesway:

Not Posers really, just big on the working class white guy metal thing. Chimaira/Mushroomhead sounding. The "Progressive Death Metal" bands (well, the 3 Ive heard) are just generic sweep picking over evil sounding riffs, but (despite their protests) still keep some of the white trash metalcore sound going. Chimaira are actually great guys. Jim cuts my hair, Matt used to go to my church, and Andy used to give me drum lessons as a child. This one band from here is getting really big in the technical metal/"djent" scene, in fact Im sure their new EP will be a big hit on here, but the band is made up of creepy assholes, one who which is pedophile :lol:

DevinShidaker

"AN IDIOT"
Reaction score
Don't even worry about it, those people won't have much of a career for themselves after a while. Everybody who is out actually doing this for a living started off at a local level, and they couldn't have achieved the success they have by being assholes, I know I didn't. The most important thing you can do as a musician trying to "make it" is make as many friends as you can. For one, it's much easier to be nice, and two, you never know if the little annoying kid bugging you at your show is going to grow up to play in the biggest band ever. It's not hard to not be a douche bag. So just ignore those clowns (I think I have an idea of who you're talking about since I'm from ohio myself).

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
I would say this is fairly common. The whole of Maine's rock/metal scene, what little of it there is, is exactly like what the OP described. I would say the fact that we are light years beyond the bands here is a major factor why we get shunned. We play with other bands and make them look like the amateurs that they really are in this bumfuck state. I am not trying to brag, we have just been playing together and progressing together for 12 years and not many bands have that experience here. I will also point out that we suck royally compared to most the other SSO member bands that i have heard here... Besides us there are few bands that truly have their shit together musically and they get my respect and I usually make an effort to get out and see them. But the rest of the scene is back biting and glory whores, it truly disgusts me that a tiny music scene like ours is full of such shitheads.

Ricky_Gallows

lyketotallybrashdude
Reaction score
ha Come to New Jersey. the "BRO" capitol. no fitted hat and stretched ears? instant Outcast until you need tix. This isnt always the case but too many times it has happened.

Its not just your area, bud. Kids put a two song demo up play at a local venue with a newly signed band and kids become "big dog in a little yard".

Just call the kid out. Be and adult about it and watch him get butthurt. Kids hate the truth but need to be knocked down a few pegs :2c:

Ckackley

Reaction score
Much like Explorer said- If you go in being the 'good guys' promoters, fans, and other bands will remember. My band can generally set up, sound check, and tear down in less than 20 minutes. We go out of our way to help other bands out with gear, carrying stuff, whatever.. It really does pay off. After a few years of putting up with some of the biggest a$$holes you could find anywhere we finally have a pretty good group of bands to run with.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Don't even worry about it, those people won't have much of a career for themselves after a while. Everybody who is out actually doing this for a living started off at a local level, and they couldn't have achieved the success they have by being assholes, I know I didn't. The most important thing you can do as a musician trying to "make it" is make as many friends as you can. For one, it's much easier to be nice, and two, you never know if the little annoying kid bugging you at your show is going to grow up to play in the biggest band ever. It's not hard to not be a douche bag. So just ignore those clowns (I think I have an idea of who you're talking about since I'm from ohio myself).

:agreed: You won't last long being a prick. Being generally friendly will get you places. Some of the friends you make may help you a lot down the road.

There was an old band from a decade ago in Australia. They were doing quite well. Then I found out what one member of the band was really like. Not only was he making empty promises to other bands, but he was actually stealing members from other bands for his own. Basically a general douch bag. Oddly enough...

Not entirely related, but speaking of Aussie bands that tried to make it, remember Superheist?
They broke up when Sharon Osbourne used their CD to scrape dog shit off the footpath in an episode of The Osbournes:lol: Sucks to be them.

:rofl:

But in terms of the human side of the musician, yes it is hard to maintain a nice attitude and positive, especially on the road. It's the ultimate test for a musician. You get tired, sick, general bad health. You start seeing the worst in your company and vice versa. And you're guaranteed to have a bad night or so. And yes there are other like minded bands (even on the same bill) that can and will screw with you.

But still, you gotta be nice, especially at your worst moment. It's a lot more rewarding in the long run. And to think that even my most successful band may have not been where we are if we didn't resolve a little missunderstanding...

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
There's the occasional band member around here that is a jerk, but I've seen it less and less now a days.

Most of the hard working bands I know/do shows together with are appreciative and real nice to me when I go to their shows repeatedly, and I try to go out and support the local scene as much as I can, always meeting new bands that are amazingly good (Fury Never Fades most recently)

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw Rhinestone at the Seaside festival one or two years ago, and I think you're a killer band! I was really impressed then:yesway:

Åfan! :) Nice, we were booked for this year aswell until the whole thing got cancelled... which sucks, cause I now live about a 10 minute walk away from the area :idea:

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
Åfan! :) Nice, we were booked for this year aswell until the whole thing got cancelled... which sucks, cause I now live about a 10 minute walk away from the area :idea:

Sadly I wouldn't have been able to see you live this year:(, I now live in Uppsala, and that's just a bit too far away...

Regardless, I can still enjoy the music on your myspace:)

Tack för att du accepterade mig på FB förresten:yesway:

PyramidSmasher

Chess Dragon
Reaction score
you aint smack talkin mushroomhead are ya:scratch:

No Im saying all these other bands try to resell what we've already heard from them. Im so tempted to just list them, but it would be ignorant :shred:

@envenomedcky, It's possible you've heard them, I don't think too many of them go down to Colombus, do you know alot of Cleveland bands? and if so, do you see what I mean?

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
No Im saying all these other bands try to resell what we've already heard from them. Im so tempted to just list them, but it would be ignorant :shred:
?

i was kinda jokin, kinda not lol. they are one of my all time faves and im kinda friends with a couple members ;) you heard their other band (216)?:shred:

')