Local Metal Scene

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
That's a really tough question. I rarely leave the Chicago/Milwaukee/Minneapolis region and there is a ridiculous number of amazing bands. In fact there's one amazing band for every fan willing to pay a cover charge for a show, lol.

sleewell

Reaction score
i dont have enough experience to answer that one having not really lived in many other states.

Chicago is really good. like really really good.

Detroit is good too.

I'd probably have a blast in Austin. was only there for a couple days for work but i dug the vibe.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I've only lived in four areas, but I've visited a lot.

Just about every area has its own quirks, which are usually really cool. So, the answer to the question might have a number of subjective elements.

In terms of size, maybe Detroit. There are hundreds of metal musicians there who are very active, but it seems that only a few bands ever endure more than a few shows. Venues are shitty, but audiences are great.

Chicagoland is great, too, but maybe more variety and less overall engagement.

Then you have St. Johnsbury, VT, with a population of 7k, yet still the most populated town in the area, with a healthy number of metal bands nearby. That's pretty amazing to me.

Dallas Shumski

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's a really tough question. I rarely leave the Chicago/Milwaukee/Minneapolis region and there is a ridiculous number of amazing bands. In fact there's one amazing band for every fan willing to pay a cover charge for a show, lol.

It definitely seems that way quite often. Lol

Dallas Shumski

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i dont have enough experience to answer that one having not really lived in many other states.

Chicago is really good. like really really good.

Detroit is good too.

I'd probably have a blast in Austin. was only there for a couple days for work but i dug the vibe.

How is concert attendance in Chicago and Detroit? I've never been to Detroit and it's been a long time since I've been to Chicago.

Boofchuck

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Denver area? I'm moving there soon largely to start or join a band, I'm curious what you all think.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Denver area? I'm moving there soon largely to start or join a band, I'm curious what you all think.
Never lived there, but Denver is one of my favourite towns to play. There was/is a brewery there called TRVE, and there's the Seventh Circle. I'm sure things are slower now because of the pandemic, but it's one of the best towns out west to start a band, probably.

broj15

Reaction score
Just from looking at the distribution of bands that i personally enjoy I'd have to say the north east as a whole. hard to narrow down to one city, but Philly, NYC, Boston, DC, etc. are all just a handful of hours away from each other by train. I'd also throw the Pacific Northwest in the mix too for the number of doom & sludge bands coming from the region. That being said there's solid, although much smaller scenes in almost every "major" city in the country, especially in the midwest. It's just more spread out so it doesn't look as highly concentrated. Obviously Chicago makes the list but I'd also throw Denver, Kansas City, St. Louis, Louisville, Springfield (IL. This also encompasses champaign-urbana since they're pretty close to each other), and even as far south as Atlanta as well.

With all that being said it's been hard to gauge the local scene in my city since live music has basically been cancelled. No shows, big or small, and it feels like bands that are usually pretty active have become less so, or they've moved onto stuff that's easier to live stream like electronic or experimental music. At this point it all seems kinda stupid to me considering the ppl are I used to see at shows are the ppl posting on social media about going out to the bar or having parties with many social groups interacting.

Last edited:

slan

Reaction score
Just from looking at the distribution of bands that i personally enjoy I'd have to say the north east as a whole. hard to narrow down to one city, but Philly, NYC, Boston, DC, etc. are all just a handful of hours away from each other by train. I'd also throw the Pacific Northwest in the mix too for the number of doom & sludge bands coming from the region. That being said there's solid, although much smaller scenes in almost every "major" city in the country, especially in the midwest. It's just more spread out so it doesn't look as highly concentrated. Obviously Chicago makes the list but I'd also throw Denver, Kansas City, St. Louis, Louisville, Springfield (IL. This also encompasses champaign-urbana since they're pretty close to each other), and even as far south as Atlanta as well.

With all that being said it's been hard to gauge the local scene in my city since live music has basically been cancelled. No shows, big or small, and it feels like bands that are usually pretty active have become less so, or they've moved onto stuff that's easier to live stream like electronic or experimental music. At this point it all seems kinda stupid to me considering the ppl are I used to see at shows are the ppl posting on social media about going out to the bar or having parties with many social groups interacting.

I'd add Richmond, VA to the Boston, NYC, Philly & DC list (but I'm biased). Richmond's hardcore scene is probably stronger than its metal scene these days, though.

broj15

Reaction score
I'd add Richmond, VA to the Boston, NYC, Philly & DC list (but I'm biased). Richmond's hardcore scene is probably stronger than its metal scene these days, though.
Richmond scene is definitely on point. Ostraca fka Kilgore trout, Truman, .gif from God etc.. I actually know a fair few of those ppl from booking shows over the years.

Dallas Shumski

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've only lived in four areas, but I've visited a lot.

Just about every area has its own quirks, which are usually really cool. So, the answer to the question might have a number of subjective elements.

In terms of size, maybe Detroit. There are hundreds of metal musicians there who are very active, but it seems that only a few bands ever endure more than a few shows. Venues are shitty, but audiences are great.

Chicagoland is great, too, but maybe more variety and less overall engagement.

Then you have St. Johnsbury, VT, with a population of 7k, yet still the most populated town in the area, with a healthy number of metal bands nearby. That's pretty amazing to me.

That is pretty impressive about St. Johnsbury. I didn't know that. So Chicago has a lot of great bands but concert attendance is not the best is what you're saying?

Dallas Shumski

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I'm looking to move in a couple years myself. Just trying to decide on the best location. Definitely thinking about Denver and Chicago.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
That is pretty impressive about St. Johnsbury. I didn't know that. So Chicago has a lot of great bands but concert attendance is not the best is what you're saying?

Just my own experience. People in Chicago seemed to wander in late or leave right after the show. When I played a lot in Detroit, people seemed to hang out after the show pretty much all of the time, and just seemed to me to be warmer toward the performers and toward each other. I haven't been to a show in Chicago in years, though, so it could all change.

')