Locking Tuners

• Thread starter Jason
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jason

Forum MVP
Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I got the Planet Waves ones on my fretless, they work really well, i dig them. but i do think the Sperzel ones look a bit nicer. If i remember, the difference between 16:1 an 18:1 is 2 ;p Its saying it takes 16 turns on the knob to turn the peg once, and 18 turns to turn the peg once. Can anyone verify that?

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
you're exactly right there Ken, 16 turns of the button turn the post once.
IMO Schaller make the best rear locking heads. Haven't trialed the Planet Waves ones thoroughly enough to comment on them

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The higher the ratio, the more accurate they are. The EBMM JP7 had Schaller locking tuners, and i was quite impressed with how direct and "tight" they were. I have a set of Gotoh Magnum Lock tuners to go on a project guitar, and they seem very nice. I have no complaints about the Sperzels on my Parker, either. I'm not a huge fan of Grovers... there just seems to be a bit of extra 'play' in the motion, which makes it really hard to zero in on exactly the right pitch.

Probably the best thing to do is to buy the tuners that are the best direct fit for the ones you currently have installed, so you don't have to ream out the post holes to make them bigger and so you don't need to drill any more holes in your headstock for the anchor screws.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Of all the locking tuners, I dug the Schallers the best.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Sperzels are 12:1. They're nice, very solid, but I'd go with the equally well-made Schallers for the better ratio. I've heard some bad things about the Planet Waves locking/cutting mechanism breaking...

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
+1 for the Schallers. I have guitars with both Schaller and Spertzel, and I prefer the larger ratio and and smaller housing of the Schaller. The Spertzels are still excellent tuners, though.

I shy away from the Planet waves tuners. Self-cutting seems like adding an unecessary function to an already cramped area. I definately don't want something goign wrong with my tuners. Adding a locking mechanism = functional. Adding a cutting mechanism = gimick.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
The Sperzels are 12:1. They're nice, very solid, but I'd go with the equally well-made Schallers for the better ratio. I've heard some bad things about the Planet Waves locking/cutting mechanism breaking...

They can cut a .052 flatwound without a problem.. never tried them on anything bigger.

dav2321

Reaction score
No problems with my Planet waves tuners, and the cutting feature is nice-no more poking yourself with the end of the wire, certainly not a "gimmick" -but a good idea.

Jason

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Only problem with schallers is i don't think they make them in black :wallbash:

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
.jason. said:

Noodles has black ones on his Stars Soloist... :scratch:

Metal Ken said:
They can cut a .052 flatwound without a problem.. never tried them on anything bigger.

I've got a couple of friends that had them fail on them, and jam the works up. PW replaced the tuners, but I thought I should put it out there as a FYI.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
.jason. said:

guitar_6.jpg

Warmoth carries them in all three "standard" colors.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
.jason. said:
^^ i was looking at those steinberger's how are they??

They better be very nice, at that price.

')