Long/Short practice sessions?

• Thread starter KillingStrings
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there.
I haven't played guitar for THAT long, but I really love it though. Sometimes when I get home from school, I'll have 6 hours of spare time.
I use the book called "Riff Training" by Maniacal, which is a really great book, I would recommend it. Anyways; There is a daily practice schedule which takes 2 hours to complete, and I tend to play a bit extra, maybe work more on some legato etc. (a 3-4 hour practice session). Should this be avoided in the beginning, or just basically in general?

My question is:
Is it recommended to play for that long in just one session, or should I take a short/long break after 2 hours of playing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
It really depends how long you can focus for. If you are losing focus, chances are your practice isn't going too well.

Reaction score
Oh ok, I was thinking like it'd be better for your arms etc. if you would rest once in a while.. Let's say after 2 hours.

No problems there then, I see

Thank you

mindwalker

Reaction score
I always have to stop for a bit after 1 hour or so before my back starts to complain! But then again I'm an ancient guy

Quikblade

Reaction score
As long as you warm up properly and arnt feeling any discomfort you should be alright. If you feel discomfort playing something dont practice it for to long at one time. Move onto something else, which can be quite a good way to get better anyway rather then being stuck on the same thing for ages.

Diversity is the key. For example focus on some theory if your physically worn out.

Edit: Considered and improved my response.

sear

Reaction score
20 minutes of good practice is better than 60 minutes of unfocused, absent-minded practice. Focus on practicing the right things and working on the problem areas in your playing.

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
Anything short of 12-16 hours a day and you'll never be the next Loomis.

All kidding aside, I think it depends on the person. As long as you're having fun and not hurting you might as well keep playing. If you're hurting then you don't want to risk more serious injury by continuing to push yourself. If you're not having fun then what's the point.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
I recommend a short break at least once per hour to avoid the possibility of long-term injury. Playing guitar can be very demanding on your hands and a break is good for your mind as well.

')