Look out! Noob question about monitors!

• Thread starter lukeshallperish
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lukeshallperish

Total Gear Slut
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post in the recording section. So Im looking to get some monitors since for the last 2 years Ive just been using my logitech computer speakers. I don't want to spend a fortune but I want something decent. I know nothing about using monitors? Is there anything else I'd need?

Currently my recording setup is this (don't laugh at me):

guitar > pod hd pro > macbook w/ garageband. And my logitech speakers plugged into the pod.

The pod is its own interface so thats what Ive been using but for ease's sake i recently got Jamup and Bias so I could leave my pod at my practice space. I understand Id need an interface to run that into my computer though.

Any suggestions for monitors in the sub $300 range? new or used suggestions are welcome. Any advice on other necessary gear is welcome too.

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
I use event tr6s, but event tr8s show up on ebay for under 300 all the time. Dont be afraid to google gearslutz.com and other sites. You can't go wrong buying nice nearfield monitors. The more revealing the better.

inflames1919

Hellraiser
Reaction score
Hey man, nothing wrong with a pod hd pro and macbook. Thats definitely more than I had when I first started getting into recording. You can get definitely get some great results with what you have, its all a matter of learning what works and what doesn't. In regards to monitors at that price, ive heard good things about Yamaha HS5's. Yamaha are known to give you a flat response and a good balance of frequencies which is something you definitely want in monitors. Other popular ones at that price would Krk Rokit 5's. Like the dude above said, gearslutz is your bible when it comes to recording.

lukeshallperish

Total Gear Slut
Reaction score
the pod into macbook thing is fine, its my shitty speakers im concerned with. They are actually nice logitech laptop speakers (8 inch sub!) but for recording they just change the sound too much. I guess i meant my price range is like sub $300 for a pair.

lukeshallperish

Total Gear Slut
Reaction score
I've been looking at either the m audio av40 set or the m audio bx5 dt set. Anyone have any experience with these? I don't need anything fancy. I don't have a home studio but I do some basic guitar tracking and stuff and these would be what I'd play guitar through and I just need something better than my computer speakers

areyna21

Reaction score
I use event tr6s, but event tr8s show up on ebay for under 300 all the time. Dont be afraid to google gearslutz.com and other sites. You can't go wrong buying nice nearfield monitors. The more revealing the better.

I'm interested in this subject as well does anyone have experience with event 20/20bas monitors? I'm basically going podhd500>PC laptop>reaper>Ath-m30 headphones right now. Was looking at rokit monitors but read a lot about the hyped bass response.

Lach Rae Dawn

Reaction score
I'm interested in this subject as well does anyone have experience with event 20/20bas monitors? I'm basically going podhd500>PC laptop>reaper>Ath-m30 headphones right now. Was looking at rokit monitors but read a lot about the hyped bass response.

I have the 20/20s, Just got them in, so I am very much still in the honeymoon period. They are my first monitors, so take that in mind, but I wanted some for my first monitors that I wouldn't have to upgrade from, only replace when they fail.

I have played some TitanFall on them, and I have watched a few shows on them, I haven't really done much music on them.

I will say that these babies are gonna be much louder than you think! I mean these things can get super loud.

They seem to be pretty flat too, the bass is nice and present, but not hyped. The highs are pretty crystal clear. The Mids are the only thing I can't really comment on as I havent done much music through them yet, and that is how I can really tell about the mids. But have not noticed any thing bad yet.

I opened FL Studio (my DAW) just to take a peak at what some of my current projects sound like on them, and immediately I heard many things I need to work on, they are quite revealing. They revealed quite a bit of things I didn't really notice before.

One thing I immediately noticed about these monitors, is I could hear everything quite clearly even at pretty low volumes. (something previous speakers kind of had trouble doing)

I would sit at least 3 feet away from them the active monitor hiss is reduced quite a bit by that point. Plus they are quite heavy for their size, so setting them may be a hassel, but once you have them set, they are nice. Be sure to get some really sturdy monitor stands, not some cheap crap.

The only thing about Event is these 20/20s are usually always on backorder. Event does not make them near as fast as people need them, be them new orders, or replacements.

My first speaker I got in had a cracked tweater, I emailed Sweetwater (who I ordered from) and my sales engineer, and a tech support team, had me a replacement 2 weeks later. (which was pretty fast considering I had to wait well over 2 months for the initial order to ship because of a backorder)

I am pretty happy with them so far, even my girlfriend noticed that they are very clear sounding speakers! But I do have quite a bit more "testing" to do with them, as well as I still have to get use to them, which takes time.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I would save another $100 and buy a pair of Equator D5's. They are not a "bandwagon" piece of gear, the midrange is extremely clear, but you have to hear them to understand (at least I did). Plus, if you don't like them, you can send them back with a provided prepaid shipping label. :yesway: Excellent customer service!

DavePiatek

Reaction score
found a pair of KRK Rokit 5s locally for $150. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

While the Rokit 5s are not the BEST monitor, I find them to be quite a good value for the price. Eventually you'll probably want to treat your room and add a sub. I'd spring for some Auralex MoPads as well.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Was looking at rokit monitors but read a lot about the hyped bass response.

I don't like the 5" krks for that reason, but I got a good deal on the 8" ones, and it doesn't sound hyped to me at all, in fact I'd still almost consider adding a sub if I didn't have neighbors that would shoot me.

Personal opinion: If you're not going to get a sub, 5" monitors on their own probably aren't going to give you enough of the whole picture to be a benefit over comparable headphones- although maybe you could get away with using 5s and headphones together. Every set of 5" I tried, while some sounded really good, I always felt like I was only hearing a "slice" of the audio.

')