Looking at a 7 or 8, in need of a little help though...

pmichteinz

Reaction score
I'm looking to take the leap into the extended range guitars and I'm kind of caught between a few problems. One, which should I get? I have the hand size and love the sound of the lower strings to play either of them and I know theory and whatnot so I don't really need training in that respect but what seems more practical? Also, what should i get? I'm looking for anything in the $1000-1500 price range and I've been looking at the RG2228's for a little while... I would appreciate any and all input, thanks!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pmichteinz

Reaction score
also Looking at Carvin Custom 7 with a fixed bridge but I hear there is something weird about their pickup sizes???

Matti_Ice

TR Guitarist
Reaction score
I'm looking to take the leap into the extended range guitars and I'm kind of caught between a few problems. One, which should I get? I have the hand size and love the sound of the lower strings to play either of them and I know theory and whatnot so I don't really need training in that respect but what seems more practical? Also, what should i get? I'm looking for anything in the $1000-1500 price range and I've been looking at the RG2228's for a little while... I would appreciate any and all input, thanks!!!

Never personally owned a Carvin but I know plenty of people that do and love them. Can't answer your question about pickup sizing, don't know.:scratch: When it comes to 7s its all about Ibanez to me. My fiance' bought me the RGA7 7 string for my birthday. I slapped an Axis 7 pickup in the neck, an Evo in the bridge, put a new 250k volume pot in, took out all the active pickup electronics and it sounds great. For about $550 you get a beautiful mahogany body guitar. Awesome, inexpensive 7 after tweaking if you ask me (not a fan of the 25.5 scale but owell)
If you feel you really want an 8 and you can grab up a RG2228 in your price range, go for it. If you like it, you will have a great solid guitar, if you don't it will be no trouble to sell. Personally, I always suggest going the Agile route (even though I love Ibanez). You get a few more styles and features as far as 8 strings go plus you spend less money while still getting a quality product. I always played 7 string Ibanezs and intended on buying the RG2228 myself, but first I picked up an Agile Intrepid Pro to see if I would like the 8 stringer, and if I did I could resell the Agile and go the RG route. Turns out I didn't like the 8 string enough to invest in the RG. I still use the Agile for recording and I keep it because it is a very nice guitar, but the point is it kept me from investing in something I wouldn't really use enough. I know I suggest this across a bunch of threads, but it just seems logical to me.

pmichteinz

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch Matti! As for the 8 string/7 string situation, I think i'll just have to play them before I buy haha!

Steve-Om

Reaction score
Ill tell you what the guys here told me:

if you are torn between getting a 7 or 8 string, get the 8, simply because if you get the 7 I promise you will want one more string!

besides, with your budget you could a custom built 8

Matti_Ice

TR Guitarist
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch Matti! As for the 8 string/7 string situation, I think i'll just have to play them before I buy haha!
No prob at all, if you're lucky enough to have a dealer (A guitar center maybe?) around you that stocks 7/8 stringers you're a fortunate man. Sadly here in Shreveport there is little to no interest in them, so most of my guitars have been impulse buys. The only one I have been unhappy with to date was a Schecter 7 string Avenger.

')