Looking at a PRS SE 277 Baritone, but question...

• Thread starter PunkBillCarson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
So this guitar comes strung with 68-14 strings in B standard. Now, this string gauge would be too tight for me in just 24.75, so my question is, how much lower in string gauge can I go without needing to replace the nut? Because ideally for this length, I MIGHT need a 59 for the B and that would be it. I'm just worried about getting a guitar and needing a new nut right away.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Typically, sizing down isn't much of a problem, as long as the nut isn't cut too deep/uneven.

You might get some noise with bends, but it's hard to say without having the instrument on hand.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
A few sizes down should be fine. But check the guitar first. At longer scale length and thicker things you need more tension get the same feels.

GuitarBizarre

Listen to physics.
Reaction score
Give them a chance. And I mean a *real* chance. Don't expect a baritone to feel or respond the same way as an LP scale. Sometimes the longer scale really only works properly with slightly thicker strings, it ends up just sounding wrong if you work on tension alone.

Also bear in mind that the difference really isn't that big. You lose a lot more tension going down to B, than you gain from 2.25" of scale length.

Consider this - if you tuned that guitar to standard your low E would be 34.87lbs. as it comes, it's only 19.57lbs.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
I have a baritone Telecaster that came strung in B. I needed it in D for a gig, so I put a .010 on the top end and just moved all the other strings over one slot. :lol: Not an ideal solution but I never had any issues with the nut. I doubt the change you're contemplating would have much of an effect, but as others have said you'll have to try it to be 100% sure.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
PRS leaves those nuts cut rather high so you should be fine. 14-68 in B standard is a very comfortable string set though.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
Give them a chance. And I mean a *real* chance. Don't expect a baritone to feel or respond the same way as an LP scale. Sometimes the longer scale really only works properly with slightly thicker strings, it ends up just sounding wrong if you work on tension alone.

Also bear in mind that the difference really isn't that big. You lose a lot more tension going down to B, than you gain from 2.25" of scale length.

Consider this - if you tuned that guitar to standard your low E would be 34.87lbs. as it comes, it's only 19.57lbs.

The strings for the scale length that it comes with shows that the E string comes at 34 lbs. That's a hell of a lot of tension. That's a 56 for a low E.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
There's not gonna be a problem. I went down from the original 14 - 68 gauge all the way down to 11 - 56 with no repercussions.

Although you'd wanna replace the nut down the road anyway because they're meh of the highest caliber.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
There's not gonna be a problem. I went down from the original 14 - 68 gauge all the way down to 11 - 56 with no repercussions.

Although you'd wanna replace the nut down the road anyway because they're meh of the highest caliber.

Can I ask what tuning you're playing in and how you're finding it so far? I mainly want to play Chevelle style shit with it.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Can I ask what tuning you're playing in and how you're finding it so far. I mainly want to play Chevelle style shit with it.

Don't have it anymore, but it fluctuated between drop A# and B standard. It worked perfectly for that since I love using thinner strings.

Although I had the soapbar version with the pickups replaced with an EMG P81/P60 set.

It still should be fine, though. I went through 3 different sets of pickups and it still have that aggressive as fuck midrange that reminded me of Chevelle and Breaking Benjamin.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
68 at B is around 25.5lbs at that scale length. That's super manageable. A 60 at that length is going to be 20ish lbs. About the same as a 25.5" scale in standard tuned to E.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I tried to use the 14 - 68 strings in B, but yeah no. :lol: Way too tight and I didn't like how the thick strings affected the tone. Dropping down was a huge improvement.

Cynicanal

Reaction score
I went down to 13-62 on mine without any problems. Feels really nice at that tension; give that a shot before going waaaaaay down.

The bigger thing you'll want to change is the stock bridge pup, it's totally inappropriate for anything that anyone is going to play on a baritone guitar. I find that the Black Winter bridge works REALLY well in this guitar.

EDIT: Also, if you're a wizard neck guy, be warned, the neck on the 277 is a heckin' chonker. If you're ok with thick C carves, you'll be fine with it.

Last edited:

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
68 at B is around 25.5lbs at that scale length. That's super manageable. A 60 at that length is going to be 20ish lbs. About the same as a 25.5" scale in standard tuned to E.

Yeah, but I typically don't like that much tension.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
The added tension at a longer scale doesn’t generally feel as tight as on a shorter scale.