Looking at Spider Valve - Do i need a MKII?

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I normally run a POD HD Pro into a Mesa 50/50 power amp into Splawn 4x12, but i want to get a combo i can grab and go for band practice or TV jamming. I need the effects and various tones of a modeler (play in a cover band so i need the versatility) and i already have the line 6 shortboard so spider valve seems like the obvious choice for me.

I don't want to spend too much as I have a child on the way (adopted), but i have about $200 in gift cards, and can add more cash as needed.

So enough about me - is the MKII a big improvement over the MKI spider valve? I'm not even sure what the modeling technology used in each is. I also would really like to have a pitch shifter (for RATM songs) so if MKII has that, and not MK1 - that would be a big deal.

I'm not bothered about editing via PC, so that's not a deal breaker. mainly worried about the tone (modeling version) and whether it has Pitch shift and auto wah - I'm assuming the other standard effect are all in there. Do i need to spend the extra $100 or so (used) for the MKII? Whatcha think?

EDIT: Actually I was able to find the old MK1 manual. no pitch shift or autowah on MK1. Sounds like I need the MKII. Mods sorry you can close this thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
In short yes.

There are upgraded things in the mkii. I owned one and loved it for quiet time jamming.

I know it dosnt have the 'band' presets in it, but here is a more in depth comparison: Line 6 - Support

Get the mkii

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
The mkII is absolutely a huge improvement over the first run. You have so much more control and flexibility, so many more options.

SSK0909

Reaction score
I honestly believe you will be a little disappointed with the tones of the Spider compared to the HD.
If you're happy with the sound of your current rig and only want something thats easier to transport, why not buy a 1×12 cab for your current rig or go straight to pa? :)

Insinfier

Reaction score
I honestly believe you will be a little disappointed with the tones of the Spider compared to the HD.
If you're happy with the sound of your current rig and only want something thats easier to transport, why not buy a 1×12 cab for your current rig or go straight to pa? :)

+1

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score

Yeah that's an option too but my pod hd pro is in a heavy rack with tube power amp. So any solution involving the pod hd requires me to pack up and move the rack....not exactly "grab and go". Still I think a 1 or 2x12 cab is in my future either way!

I ordered the mk2 1x12 today from gc used. Got it for $300, so if the tone is not up to snuff I think I can make my money back.

I'm honestly not expecting to be wowed, but I do expect it to be adequate. The fact that it has everything I need for a gig in small combo is why I got it. Sure I'd rather have a great sounding all tube combo, but this is what I actually need. Not a sexy pick, but I think it will make my life easier....provided it sounds good enough! Well see. I can normally dial in something decent in most amps.

Edit: as for straight to PA - tried it, not for me. Gotta have a raw amp sound behind me from a real guitar cab on stage

Last edited:

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
So i just got the Spidervalve MkII 1x12 in the mail. So far i'd call it "serviceable". I certainly can't get the same tones that i get from the pod HD, which is disappointing. It's freakin LOUD. I'm going to give it some more tweaking when the wife's not home and see what i can come up with. Cleans are pretty good, but i can't get a rhythm crunch nearly as natural sounding as the Pod HD/Mesa 50/50 set up yet.

')