Looking for a cheap gibson/epiphone les paul

Vince Caruana

Vinsanity
Reaction score
As much as Id love a nice gibson les paul I don't plan on coughing up 3,000+ anytime soon. I've seen some pretty decent looking epiphones but I don't want a good looking cheap knock off. Looking for something with solid mahogany,black body and an ebony fretboard. Looking for something to give me kind of that Zao, Everytime I Die, Dillinger Escape Plan kind of sound. Looking to get close to the $800 range. I've seen some cool prophecys but Id really like one with the H looking inlay on the headstock as opposed to the diamond or the tacky looking tribal inlay. Hook me up with some recomendations!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TauSigmaNova

Guitarist Wannabe.
Reaction score
ESP LTD 1000. VB (Vintage Black) is also satin black with ebony board.

Edit, I meant LTD EC-1000 VB :p

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
The ESP/LTDs look like Les Pauls but sound nothing like a Gibson.

In OP's price range, Gibsons with ebony boards are flat out. Closest you can get I'd say is either an Edwards or a Japanese LP copy from the 70es. (Burny, Greco, etc)
Trouble is, word got out they are good guitars for some of them and prices are steadily rising.
A new Edwards E-LP seems your best bet.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
There are quite a few options for LP-styled guitars that are not Gibson/Epiphone. You could look used and get an old Gibson LP Studio, especially some of the limited edition one's (like the Menace series and Goth series) which are black and have ebony boards.

Schecter Solo 6's might also be a good option for you! There are some (especially the Blackjack ATX's which are black with ebony boards).

I would also echo a previous poster on the LTD EC-1000 series. If you open yourself up to rosewood boards you have more options but if you want that ebony board with a black body then i'd suggest one of these (passive model has Dimarzio's and the other two have EMGs... the gloss black ones also are full-thickness, so it will be more like a Gibson in body size than the VB):

EC-1000T/CTM DMZ BLK - The ESP Guitar Company
EC-1000T/CTM BLK - The ESP Guitar Company
EC-1000 VB - The ESP Guitar Company

MoshJosh

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken a member on here has 2 ESP Eclipses for sale pretty close to your price point, might be worth checking out the marketplace

also doesn't one of Everytime I Die's guitarists almost exclusively play Eclipses? not sure but they are awesome guitars!

TremontiFan16

Tyler Russell
Reaction score
The ESP/LTDs look like Les Pauls but sound nothing like a Gibson.

In OP's price range, Gibsons with ebony boards are flat out. Closest you can get I'd say is either an Edwards or a Japanese LP copy from the 70es. (Burny, Greco, etc)
Trouble is, word got out they are good guitars for some of them and prices are steadily rising.
A new Edwards E-LP seems your best bet.

My esp ec-1000SW with SD. JB/59 is actually very close in tone to my friends gibson actually:scratch: Ones with Emgs sound drastically different but if you can get a amber burst one I'm sure you will love it. Only major difference that comes to mind is weight really.

stevexc

Reaction score
My esp ec-1000SW with SD. JB/59 is actually very close in tone to my friends gibson actually:scratch: Ones with Emgs sound drastically different but if you can get a amber burst one I'm sure you will love it. Only major difference that comes to mind is weight really.

Plus DEP, which OP mentioned he wanted a sound similar to, was using ESP Horizons - mahogany-bodied maple-top set-neck guitars, much like ECs (plus now he plays a semihollow ESP with EMGs and still has a similar sound). +1 to this suggestion, the LTDs are great value and will get within spitting distance of the "Gibson tone"... and even closer to the "Gibson with a set of EMGs sound" if he goes that way.