Looking for a new 7-string

• Thread starter CatsMilk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CatsMilk

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm looking for a new 7 string. This is what I'm looking for:
-fixed bridge
-thin neck
-twin humbuckers (no middle pickup)
-passive pickups (don't really care about quality as I'll probably replace them)

I'd like to stay under $2000 USD, but I'm a little flexible.

Don't want something budget like an Ibanez RG7321.

Carvin DC727 looks the most interesting so far. What is the neck like on those guitars? Thin or fat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mark105

Reaction score
The Dean RC7 has those features except the passives. Great thin neck though. They can be found used in your price range. Some of the higher end Ibanez's would fit your criteria. I palyed a used j custom 7 string that was priced at 1800.00, it was a sweet axe. The only Carvin I played had a neck kind of between a Schecter (thick) and an Ibanez (thin). There are a lot of great axes out there for the kind of money you're spending. Happy hunting.

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
Carvins have rather thick necks, but mine is still really comfortable. That said, if you're after a 'shredder' profile, a 727 won't have it.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Maybe browse the classifieds or the 'bay for a used KxK or BRJ. They usually fall anywhere in the $1300-1900 range. Or just save up for your own custom.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd support the DC727 idea. Then again, I might be biased, since I own one. But it's a VERY comfortable guitar. The neck is thicker than an Ibanez's, but thinner than a Shecter's. Plus the tung oil finish makes it smooth as silk. It's not really a "shredder's" guitar, but it will NOT disappoint you if you want to really shred on it. However, remember that, if you want to change the pickups to aftermarkets (which you probably will, given that the tone of the Carvin's doesn't really appeal to a lot of people), you would have to make the pickup routes bigger on the Carvin. Their pickup size is a little different.

For less than $2000, however, I believe you can get an Ibanez RGD2127z, which is VERY comfortable, and the neck is very thin. Definitely a shredder's guitar! Or maybe you could go for a MusicMan JP7.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I just noticed you said fixed bridge... I believe the last two wouldn't suit you, then.

georg_f

Reaction score
why the thin neck? Is this just because everyone says "yah, thin necks are faster and easy to play..." or is this really what works for you the best?
thick necks have better tone and are more stable
Years ago I also thought that I need a really thin neck to play fast etc. but later, after playing some big neck basses, I realised that it hardly makes any difference and regardless of how big a neck is, it's always easy to play

also, e.g. a classical nylon acoustic usually has a really big neck, but these are a breeze to play

CatsMilk

Reaction score
Thin necks are more comfortable to me because I have smaller hands. I'm not a shredder anymore so I don't really care about shred-ability. That field isn't really required, just a preference. I have some guitars with thicker necks, I'm just not as comfortable when I play them.

I'm still leaning towards the DC727.

revolutionman

Reaction score
i am in the market for a new 7 string i getting my starter 7 string ibanez ax 7 but i am shopping for a better 7.i looking at the ibanez rgd2127z or a rusty cooley rc7x

littledoc

Go meat!
Reaction score
I own a DC727, so I think I can give you the pros and cons versus an Ibanez, including the RGD2127Z which I'm actually thinking of buying.

First off, the neck differences: if you look up the actual dimensions, the DC727 neck is a tiny bit thicker and not quite as wide as the RGD's. Ibanez is known for really thin necks, but the differences here are negligible. What I can say about the DC727 is that it's insanely comfortable. The Carvin neck is a D-shape neck that flattens a bit as you get higher up the fretboard.

Secondly, there's the options. Most high-end Ibanez guitars are made with maple necks and basswood bodies. A Carvin can be made out of just about whatever you want. My DC727 is all-mahogany with a flamed maple top. Carvin also gives you options for some really gorgeous finishes. Someone else already mentioned the tung-oil neck, which is totally awesome. The DC727 also comes stock with coil splitters.

Another thing to consider though is that the RGD and Schecters have that nice extended 26.5" scale, which is great for downtuning and proper intonation across all seven strings. The Carvin comes stock with .010s, and the sad reality is that the intonation is a bit off on the low B. I put the saddle as far back as it'll go, and it was still intonated a little sharp. It's nothing major, but for a $1500 guitar it shouldn't be there. You really need to order it with .009s and keep it in standard tuning if you want that perfect intonation.

And I know you said you wanted a fixed bridge, but the high-end Ibanez trems are worth considering because they don't suffer from the problems that OFRs have (I used to own an S Prestige with a ZR trem). You don't have to cut the ends off the strings, intonation adjustment is easier because the screws are offset instead of directly under the string, and the zero-point system basically means the guitar will not go out of tune if a string breaks. Tuning up is also much faster than on an OFR.

Carvins also have a big disadvantage with the pickups: if you want to swap them, it's a pain in the butt. You can probably fit some d-activators in there if you sand the base and drill a new screw hole in the pup cavity (Carvins have two screws on one side and one screw on the other). Basically, Carvin wants their guitars to have the "Carvin tone". The upside to this is that in my opinion, Carvin pups are outstanding. Mileage may vary as far as voicing preferences, but personally I have no desire to swap my pickups out. The C22N (neck) is especially sweet, and sounds fantastic through a clean channel. I did own a DC727 with the default maple/alder combo, and it was far thinner sounding than my current mahogany axe, so obviously your wood choice will make a big difference.

One last thing: Carvin offers stainless steel frets for a small upcharge. My Washburn has them, and got me hooked on them. They feel buttery-smooth, and it's nice knowing that I'll pretty much never have to worry about getting the guitar filed or refretted.

')