Looking for a new amp.

• Thread starter Kavnar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kavnar

Reaction score
Recently my amp has started making ridiculously loud noises whenever I turn it on. It's unplayable. I took it to the only amp tech I know of around here (who really ripped me off last time) to see if he could do anything about it. He told me he had a lot of work on his hands and wouldn't be able to look at it for a few weeks and told me it could be potentially pretty expensive. So I've decided to look for another amp. The amp I've been playing has been so unreliable and this last break has given me the final push I needed to look for a new one.

The amp I've been playing was the JCM900 (the master volume one). And I'm in love with how it sounds. I'm a massive fan of marshall. And the JCM900, for me, was exactly what I was wanting from a guitar amp.

I play a lot of doom and sludge. Anything from Electric Wizard to Weedeater. So I need an amp with a really nice high gain tone. But I also really need something with nice cleans.

But the main hurdle is the very strict price range. I can only probably spend around £400-500.

Hope you guys can help out. Thank you in advance. :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Just throw a pedal in front of it :yesway:

BabUShka

Reaction score
Upgrade to JCM800 2204/2203 or Marshall JVM if you like the tone of Marshall.
The JVM is extremly versatile and got some fantastic cleans.
Other amps that you might like are Laney GH50/GH100 or Orange Thunder 30.
But I kinda think that you'll be more than happy enough with the Laney.. Really great budget amps. Especially for doom and that kinda music.

Kavnar

Reaction score
But I kinda think that you'll be more than happy enough with the Laney.. Really great budget amps. Especially for doom and that kinda music.

REALLY like the Orange Thunder tones. Is it loud enough for band situations?

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score

+1 on the Laneys! Also the VH100R is SICK because you have 2 channels for cleans / overdrive plus different modes :metal:

The overdrive is sick... and Opeth fucking cleans- 'nuff said.

Kavnar

Reaction score
There's a badass deal going on the vh100r on here. Might buy it if it's still up when I've got the money in a few weeks.

Kavnar

Reaction score
On another note:
Are there any Bugera amps that could fit the bill for doom/slude/stoner rock? I've always liked the look of them (mainly the price) and I've heard a couple being played for different types of metal. But are there any bugera models that will be well suited for stoner/doomy sort of music?

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
well i have a bugera 6262 infinium on its way to me its supposed to be 5150II ish i'll let you know if it can do doom (i assume we are talking cathedral,orange goblin etc?)

but the bugera 1990 is aparently based on the jcm 900 and is really cheap abour £300 new

its hard to get bugeras in the uk at the moment seems like everyones waiting for a massive shipment due at the end of may. you can order them now but you'll have to wait to get it

Kavnar

Reaction score
Yeah I've heard about that. A lot of places say they're out of stock aswell. Maybe I could order from Europe? But yeah man definitely let me know if it can pull off stoner/doom from like Orange Goblin to Electric Wizard. :yesway:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
1. take a look at my suggestion.

2. Look into Laneys.

Kavnar

Reaction score
1. take a look at my suggestion.

2. Look into Laneys.

I looked at your suggestion. It's not that I don't like the sound of my amp. It's that my amp is fucked. Don't know if you read my post but i mentioned it's unplayable. But yeah I'll have a look into Laneys.:yesway: I've actually inquired about a VH100R but he's not got back to me.

lilpendragon

Reaction score
I looked at your suggestion. It's not that I don't like the sound of my amp. It's that my amp is fucked. Don't know if you read my post but i mentioned it's unplayable. But yeah I'll have a look into Laneys.:yesway: I've actually inquired about a VH100R but he's not got back to me.

I'm in a doom band and here are some demos of the two amps that I use live side by side. Hope this helps! Check out our live videos as well if you want to know what they sound like in a mix.

Laney AOR Protube (bought for $500)

Peavey Butcher (bought for $300 shipped)(you would probably want a pedal for this amp, such as a big muff or metal zone)

groph

Reaction score
Maybe try a Peavey. Look for something like an older Peavey Ultra or something newer like a Peavey JSX head. The JSX is not what I like in an amp, but it has an extremely versatile circuit. It has awesome cleans, awesome crunch tones (it can totally do blues) and even a competent high gain. It's not the most brutal amp out there but it can hang with the metal kings easily. It's all down to your playing in the end.

Wes Mantooth

I Love Fuzz!
Reaction score
For my stoner tones I bought a cheap VHT Special 6 for $200 and when I'm not at school play it through my G-FLex 2x12.

I stick a few fuzzes through it: A Death by Audio Fuzz War, A Dwarfcraft Eau Claire Thunder, a Fuzzhugger Phantom Ring (for extra dirt and for adding hints of octave to my tone), a Noisemaker Noise Invaders, and I'm waiting on a Catalinbread Manx Loaghtan fuzz.

Basically if your tight on cash, you can get some great Electric Wizard tones by sticking a high gain fuzz like a Boss FZ-2, Fuzz War or Black Arts Pharaoh in front of a decent clean amp.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
the jcm900 was not marshalls finest hour, I'd look at the DSL (ballsy) try find an old jcm800, or, actually go see if you can find a marshall anniversary, an overlooked amp thhat was actually rather good!

Or, just go find another jcm900, although I have no idea how much they go for these days, I have a feeling people have decided they're "desirable" just because they're old rather than classic.

Apparently the new marshall single or dual channel (can't remember the name) is really quite a nice amp that does marshall better than marshall has for a long time.

Otherwise, take some blackstars for a test drive, they're the old marshall engineers and a few of their amps as pretty much marshalls the way they wanted to make them whilst they were working for marshall, but have the brit/american midrange shhift dial as well so are quite versataille.

')