Looking for a new guitar $1500 budget

• Thread starter Xombie2000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xombie2000

Reaction score
Hi all, after 8 years with my PRS custom 22 wide fat neck I'm looking for something new. I was just looking for something with a thinner neck, 24 frets and a Floyd Rose. Well I think Ibanez has wonderful necks, they are too thin for me. I tried Schecter's, played Gibson's in the past, but not the new PRS S2 series. I prefer carved tops and set necks or neck though unless the bolt is similar to Ibanez. My only hold back with the ESP are the active pickups. I haven't played actives in almost 20 years so what is the battery life like these days? I did try the EC – 1000 and thought the neck felt good but it was a satin finish so that kind of threw me. GC Has a very gracious return policy but they don't carry this guitar in stock normally. I have not made up my mind and would like some other suggestions.

I posted this on 2 other forums with few replies, hopefully you all can help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Garnoch

Reaction score
Based on your wants, and being you're in the U.S., I'll suggest a Carvin CT or CS and you can make it look the way you want.
Carvin.com: USA Custom Shop 24-Fret California Carved Top Guitars
That link is for the 24 fret models, but you can get them with 22 as well. You can add a FR to either, though keep in mind that each customization will cost more. You can click on Guitar Builder on each model's page to gage price based on what you want. I'd suggest speaking to someone live to really fine tune and order. It'll be an 8 weeks wait give or take. I would describe their basic neck profile as a little thinner than your standard LP or Schecter, and on some models you can request the Jason Becker neck profile for an extra $50 and it's thinner, closer to the ESP. As you can tell around here and many places, Carvin is top notch. I have Gibson, Schecter, ESP and others, plus this year I bought my first two Carvins, so feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.
Carvin.com: USA Custom Shop Solidbody Electric Guitars

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
I'd say Carvin or possibly an MIJ ESP/LTD Elite Horizon (which have passives). Jackson also has the DKs which are pretty good carved top superstrats.

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
The general consensus is that Horizons rule, especially real deal MIJ ones. I have yet to play an LTD Elite so I can't comment on comfort or quality but there are a few guys on here who have gotten them and seem satisfied.

bouVIP

Reaction score

ESP rules! DO IT!

But seriously ESPs are great guitars and I hear the B stocks are just all small cosmetic details so I say go for the Horizon FR-II since it seems to be exactly what you are looking for

Alphanumeric

Reaction score
RGA and RGD prestige necks are a little bigger than your standard prestige/J custom stuff which are indeed super thin.

For the money, you get much more guitar with ibanez than with ESP, imho.

Jackson have also upped their game ... their necks I find are the thickest of the high end production line "metal" guitar brands.

nugget666

Reaction score
just keep an eye open for an ESP M ii , and you can swap the emg's off

oracles

Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results
Reaction score
I'd go for a Jackson Soloist based on the info you've given us.

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
Since you don't really seem against EMG's (and this is the only question that hasn't been answered yet), with a good lithium battery active pups these days last a long, long time. I haven't changed the battery in my H-308 in months.

Also, I can't speak from experience on Ibanez or Carving, but I do love an ESP/LTD neck. Super comfy :yesway:

Overtone

Reaction score
Another vote for a soloist. For that price you can get a used USA or Custom Shop soloist in very good condition. The only thing is that the neck profiles change some across different years so definitely try before you buy.

Xombie2000

Reaction score
Ok after playing some Jacksons, ESP's, LTD's and Ibanez. I decided on an ESP Horizon FR-II. It's new old stock 2012, quilted black finish with Duncan's. $1339 shipping included.

xxx128

-108 point(s) total
Reaction score
If i had 1500 i would go straight for a used jackson usa soloist. Give me your money and i will!!!

')