Looking for a new phone

Masoo2

Reaction score
Looking for a new phone, specifically, my first Android.

I was hoping that some of you guys here could help me decide on a phone to go with, as tbh I have no idea what to go for.

Price: Roughly $450 for an unlocked phone. I would prefer $400, but I'm also okay to go up to $480 or so

Size: 5-5.7 inches. Not looking for a compact phone, but not a huge (6 inches+) phablet.

Screen: Preferably 1440p AMOLED, but I'm fine with 1080p as well if it allows for better specs elsewhere.

Processor: Hexacore or Octocore, want something that will be decently powerful. I've seen quite a few phones using the Snapdragon 810/820, so I'd like for the processor to be comparable to that.

Storage/RAM: 32 gigs+ of storage, preferably expandable through SD or MicroSD. 3 gigs+ of RAM would be fine. I've seen some have 4 or even 6 within this price range though.

Camera: I really want a decent-nice camera on this phone. Something that can take crisp, high resolution stills while also being able to capture 4k/30, 2k/30, and 1080/60 or 120 video.

I've heard some brands are more difficult to root/modify than others, so that would be useful to know.

Some of the phones that I have currently been looking at are the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, LG G5 or V10, OnePlus Three, Nexus 6P, and the Sony Xperia Z5.

So, what do you guys think? I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed by all of the options within the price range. I'm used to looking at and purchasing PC parts, but this is a completely different beast :wallbash:

Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
A 1440P display on a screen that size would be wasted. Even 1080P displays on screens of similar size generally have a high enough pixel density that individual pixels become too small for most people's eyes to track.

Masoo2

Reaction score
A 1440P display on a screen that size would be wasted. Even 1080P displays on screens of similar size generally have a high enough pixel density that individual pixels become too small for most people's eyes to track.

That's one of the things I wasn't sure about. The pixel density with 1080p at that display size is already insanely high, so I wasn't sure if it would make a huge difference or not.

Sounds like you already know what you want.

I do know generally what I'm looking for, it's just there are so many different makes, models, and brands out there that I know nearly nothing about which is why I made the post.

I've never been one to keep up with the phone industry, so I have no clue if any specific brand is generally better (QC mainly) than one another.

Pav

???
Reaction score
If you're interested in an Android, the Samsung Galaxy phones and Google Nexus phones are generally considered the best on the market right now. Start with those and if a Galaxy S6/S7 or the latest Nexus handsets don't tickle your fancy, then I would look into a Sony Xperia. I've had nothing but bad experiences with LG smartphones so I would avoid LG in general. :2c:

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
get a BLU phone

I've got a BLU vivo XL since February, it cost 150$ new, and it's kickass. Huge battery, great screen, kicks the ass of my Nexus 7, has a micro SD slot to expand memory up to 64gigs.

My friend got the Blu Vivo 5, which is 200$ bucks and seems even better than mine. He's a guy that's really into tech stuff as well, and he raves about it.

I have no idea how people justify getting these 400-800 dollar phones when literally there is a brand selling top of the line products for half the cost of a used iphone 5c.

')