Looking for a quality wireless system.

• Thread starter _detox
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

_detox

lurkin'.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've decided I'm getting a wireless for Christmas, after an unfortunate experience with my first wireless, I'm a little more cautious this time around.

First wireless:
Buy Shure PG14 Performance Gear Wireless Guitar System | Instrument Wireless Systems | Musician's Friend

It was a piece of shit as far as I'm concerned, I should have known when I opened the receiver and saw that it was made out of plastic.

What I've been looking at:
Sennheiser EW 172 G3 | Sweetwater.com

I saw the Whitechapel tour video and I've noticed them (among other touring musicians) have depended on this unit, which is a major selling point for me as I'm looking to start touring next summer.

Any other suggestions? Advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PirateMetalTroy

The Tooth Fairy
Reaction score
I'm definitely interested in what people have to say about this as well. I'm rather concerned about how it will affect my tone, more than it's range and battery life.

as long as there's no delay, clear quality sound, and no interference, I'm happy.

Let's hear it, boys!

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
Well, EVH and John 5 use an A/B pedal, to switch from wireless to cable sound, so if you're concerned about that, switch to wireless on rhythm, and cable on solos :yesway:

Interesting idea, nonetheless

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
Back when I was actually playing shows a lot I used one of the AKG WMS series with a "bug" transmitter. It sounded great and I never had any problems with it.

_detox

lurkin'.
Reaction score
I used to have a shure PGX, and it sucked some tone which i hated. I recently got Buy Line 6 X2 XDR95 Digital Wireless Instrument System | Instrument Wireless Systems | Musician's Friend and it is super transparent. Only downside is, it eats batterys.

funny cause that's the one i ended up getting! haven't had a chance to test it yet, but i'll report back soon.

i'm a little concerned about the fact that the construction of the receiver is all plastic, but i don't think it'll be a huge deal when i get my rack case. the clip on the transmitter was extremely flimsy, so i got a pouch that velcros onto my strap, which will then be duct taped to it as well, should be good to go. :)

i'm probably going to buy some rechargable 9vs, anyone have an issues with them?

Vstro

Reaction score
A lot of people overlook the higher end Peavey wireless systems too. Tons of touring bands use them, I've never heard a single problem with them either.

PatTheGreat

Djentleman
Reaction score
funny cause that's the one i ended up getting! haven't had a chance to test it yet, but i'll report back soon.

i'm a little concerned about the fact that the construction of the receiver is all plastic, but i don't think it'll be a huge deal when i get my rack case. the clip on the transmitter was extremely flimsy, so i got a pouch that velcros onto my strap, which will then be duct taped to it as well, should be good to go. :)

i'm probably going to buy some rechargable 9vs, anyone have an issues with them?

I've had that wireless unit for about a year now. I've toured a lot with it and it never gave up. That flimsy clip you were talking about actually gave up on my first show with it, so I just duct tape onto my strap now.

Things you need to know :

- Doesn't affect your tone. At least not enough for people (or you, for that matter)to notice it anyways.
- Battery life is really as advertised (5 hours), but ONLY with good batteries. Not necessarily high end lithium ones, but regular 9v energizers or duracells. DO NOT (and I insist) DO NOT buy cheap batteries. They last for about 10 minutes. I have no idea why though. So I really wouldn't suggest going for rechargeable ones. I usually do 3 gigs with one battery, which includes soundchecking and turning it on 10minutes before i go on stage + 45mins set. I could probably do 4 but I don't wanna risk losing the signal.
- Able to go HUGE distance. You will never even need to go a 10th of the distance it actually covers (and I tested it. I litterally walked for 5mins on the street with my bass and it never stopped.)
- Concerning the receiver being plastic, it doesn't matter in a rack. I've used it before I had one and it's been treated really bad, and still works like a charm. Same goes for the transmitter. I stopped counting the times I dropped it/hit it on a wall.

Overall very very good unit and I have yet to have a bad experience with it. Plus it has cool shiny lights so it looks great...lol

')