Looking for a Solid State combo

• Thread starter JaeSwift
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a solid state combo with good tone. Currently I do not have any amplifier and am using my Pod GX as one (lol). While the sound really isn't bad at all, it's just inconvenient when wanting to jam with someone.

So what I'm looking for here is a solid state combo amplifier. I've owned tube amps before and I really like them, but I want a solid state because they just sound better on lower volumes than tube amps do, and I will not get to play it on high volume anytime soon, unless I'm gigging in which case I'de like to be able to link it to a cab.

Does anyone have any recommendations? This being SS.Org I ofcourse play 7 strings so I need something that can handle the bass, and I play metal on a decent amount of gain, nothing over the top though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groph

Reaction score
My Peavey Bandit combo has a speaker out so you can connect it to a cab. It's cleans are pretty good, apparently it even does blues tones very well. I use it for metal and it does that too. I play a 6 tuned down to B, and I haven't had any issues with muddiness, provided you don't crank the gain too hard.

I'm pretty sure the newest Bandits don't have a speaker out.

You're going to have to tell us what kind of tones you're after, as well as your budget.

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
My budget would be around the 400 euro area. Tones I'm after is...hard to describe. I'm mostly used to tube amps but they aren't an option for me any longer due to volume.

I want something with a warm gain. My problem with most solid state amps is that they have this shrill ''after tone'' (for reference on after tone: think of drinking a good beer and then the after taste fucking sucks).

My ideal tone would be something along the lines of what Bulb has in the recording of Icarus Lives, which is probably not achievable with a solid state amp but still :p

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you get an attenuator such as the THD Hot Plate you can use a tube amp without having to worry about volume levels. It lowers the overall volume floor without changing your tone.

groph

Reaction score
Pretty sure Bulb's recorded stuff was done with a POD, but I'm not an expert in that field.

Maybe one of those Blackstar HT-5's with a boost would do you.

How cheap are Orange Tiny Terrors over there? Those are plenty warm sounding, and can do metal all on their own, they only would get nastier with a boost up front.

I don't really know any especially warm sounding solid state amps... Maybe a Jazz Chorus with a good distortion pedal, I dunno.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Peavey XXL 212.

Made in USA, no longer in production, I'd have bought one to back up my JSX any day of the week.

UltimaWeapon

yolo-swag-3000
Reaction score
i would vote too for the XXL 212 because i played only on the head version but it played like hell, OR if it goes for solid state then whatever with good cleans and speaker and of course output for other cab, then you can input any stompbox or multifx

kherman

Reaction score
Honestly, I like my L6 Flextone III XL.
It's great for home practicing, jams, band practice, and small gigs.
For rhythm I like the Jubilee amp sim.
For lead the XTC sim.
For clean the JC120 sim.
For cab sim choice I usually find myself using the 4x12 greenback 25.

flexiii59q27bj.jpg

I find getting it on a amp stand and angled more up at yourself really
helps eliminate that "blanketed" effect you hear people mention.
Definitely brings out the clarity.
Chair works ok too.
Most of the time when I hear people make that complaint, it's because they have the amp
on the floor and aimed at or below their knees.

I really feel the Flex is the underdog of the L6 line.
And tends to get overlooked because of the HD147 and Vetta.

Which could be a thought as well with a 2x12 cab.

UltimaWeapon

yolo-swag-3000
Reaction score
Honestly, I like my L6 Flextone III XL.
It's great for home practicing, jams, band practice, and small gigs.
For rhythm I like the Jubilee amp sim.
For lead the XTC sim.
For clean the JC120 sim.
For cab sim choice I usually find myself using the 4x12 greenback 25.

flexiii59q27bj.jpg

I find getting it on a amp stand and angled more up at yourself really
helps eliminate that "blanketed" effect you hear people mention.
Definitely brings out the clarity.
Chair works ok too.
Most of the time when I hear people make that complaint, it's because they have the amp
on the floor and aimed at or below their knees.

I really feel the Flex is the underdog of the L6 line.
And tends to get overlooked because of the HD147 and Vetta.

Which could be a thought as well with a 2x12 cab.

Its a reduced version of the VETTA as i know, but sounds 100000% much better than the Spider series thats for sure

')