Looking for a Sweet 6 string!

• Thread starter ovlott
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ovlott

Reaction score
I wanna get more into my six's again, seeing as I only have one 6 and three 7's. The sixer I have now is a Gibson sg special but I am planning on selling it to acquire a 6 string i'll want to play all the time, like a prestige rga or s series or something along those lines. so on to the "demands" :lol:

MAX spending money on this $800, even that is over what I would want to spend but I know I won't find anything awesome for less than 500-600
Preferably a super strat kind of shape.
A fixed bridge, but a trem doesnt bother me as long as its an OFR or a really reliable trem (some Ibby trem's)
Pickups dont really matter, as I'll swap them later on down the line anyways, but passives are preffered as a side note.

I want a semi-rare kind of guitar, something not too hard to find but not everyone has one kinda deal. (I'm picky like that, if I get a guitar a lot of people own, I have to do a refinish, or reshape of it, or something to make it my own. or else I sell it, like the Gibson, because its too nice to tear apart almost :lol: )

Fire away guys! This forum always helps me make up my mind about gear.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I'm a little confused, is the Gibson SG you are selling going toward the $800 or are you just going to spend $800 on a guitar and sell the Gibson down the road and use the money for something else?

If you are looking for a new Ibanez under $800 you are probably dropping down a step in quality from your Gibson (although I've played a lot of second-rate Gibsons, lol). You're basically looking at an Indonesian Ibanez at that price. For a new hardtail passive model your best bet is the Ibanez Premium RG721RW.

I would highly recommend looking for a nice Japanese Ibanez RG on the used market. There was a nearly new Ibanez RG Prestige hardtail on Kijiji a few months ago but it seems to have been swooped up ($700ish too) already. Here are a few, but they are all trems:

IBANEZ S PRESTIGE 2170 natural PAID $2,200 NEW | guitars | City of Toronto | Kijiji
Ibanez prestige rg2550e | guitars | City of Toronto | Kijiji
Ibanez Prestige RG20052 Limited,trade for EVH Striped,MIA Strat | guitars | City of Toronto | Kijiji

You could also scour around for some used Ibanez RGA 121's. Just don't pay more than $650 for one in great shape though.

If you can save up a few hundred $ more you could buy a new Ibanez RG652FX Prestige (hard tail). According to the Canadian Ibanez website it's only available in Galaxy Black, but i'm sure you could probably get one of the blue ones if you order through a major retailer like Steve's Music or Long & McQuade.

Not exactly an Ibanez but something to consider none-the-less:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/city-...etc/584889134?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

stevexc

Reaction score
If you can save up a few hundred $ more you could buy a new Ibanez RG652FX Prestige (hard tail). According to the Canadian Ibanez website it's only available in Galaxy Black, but i'm sure you could probably get one of the blue ones if you order through a major retailer like Steve's Music or Long & McQuade.

He'd have to order from a US retailer, Canadian ones get their available models (Ibanez stock at least, along with a few other brands) determined by Efkay, and that's -all- that can be brought in for sale. You just have to hunt down a US retailer that'll ship cross the border - Musician's Friend et al will honor the distributor's agreements (or something) and won't sell a model that isn't already available in Canada to Canada, for instance, but Axepalace (yay Zimbloth!) will.

I get insider info from AXE and L&M on this crap ;)

TL;DR We get hosed, eh.

Misfit

Reaction score
Ibanez RG1570 Mirrage Blue finish, PM for pics, I'm new to this forum, but I have references. If you're interested, it's well within your price range.

ovlott

Reaction score
I'm a little confused, is the Gibson SG you are selling going toward the $800 or are you just going to spend $800 on a guitar and sell the Gibson down the road and use the money for something else?

If you are looking for a new Ibanez under $800 you are probably dropping down a step in quality from your Gibson (although I've played a lot of second-rate Gibsons, lol). You're basically looking at an Indonesian Ibanez at that price. For a new hardtail passive model your best bet is the Ibanez Premium RG721RW.

I would highly recommend looking for a nice Japanese Ibanez RG on the used market. There was a nearly new Ibanez RG Prestige hardtail on Kijiji a few months ago but it seems to have been swooped up ($700ish too) already. Here are a few, but they are all trems:

IBANEZ S PRESTIGE 2170 natural PAID $2,200 NEW | guitars | City of Toronto | Kijiji
Ibanez prestige rg2550e | guitars | City of Toronto | Kijiji
Ibanez Prestige RG20052 Limited,trade for EVH Striped,MIA Strat | guitars | City of Toronto | Kijiji

You could also scour around for some used Ibanez RGA 121's. Just don't pay more than $650 for one in great shape though.

Not exactly an Ibanez but something to consider none-the-less:
LTD ESP MH-1000NT. Comes with Gig Bag, some picks, straps, etc. | guitars | City of Toronto | Kijiji

I'm planning on selling the gibson to fund part of the $800 for a new axe. I was SUPER interested in the LTD at the bottom and I had already tried to get the guitar off the guy but he said he just sold it apparently :/ I've seen all the other ad's aswell on the ol' kijiji for ibby's and although they're in my price range I'm just not vibing for them. Except for the 2170! That thing looks amazing!

EDIT: I wasn't planning on buying new to be honest :lol: I feel prices are far too high nowadays to consider getting a guitar new. +1 on RGA 121 though, I would go straight for one of those if they came up often enough. I'll probably just wait til I sell my gibson and then wait for one to pop up somewhere.

ovlott

Reaction score
He'd have to order from a US retailer, Canadian ones get their available models (Ibanez stock at least, along with a few other brands) determined by Efkay, and that's -all- that can be brought in for sale. You just have to hunt down a US retailer that'll ship cross the border - Musician's Friend et al will honor the distributor's agreements (or something) and won't sell a model that isn't already available in Canada to Canada, for instance, but Axepalace (yay Zimbloth!) will.

I get insider info from AXE and L&M on this crap ;)

TL;DR We get hosed, eh.

Did they just start doing that? In the past I've been able to order US market lower end RG's from Long & Mcquade without any questions asked. The last time i did though was probably 5 or 6 years ago, so things could have easily changed.

stevexc

Reaction score
Did they just start doing that? In the past I've been able to order US market lower end RG's from Long & Mcquade without any questions asked. The last time i did though was probably 5 or 6 years ago, so things could have easily changed.

I'm not too sure, to be honest - I wasn't really interested in Ibanez until about two or three years ago, and found out trying to get some US models through them. It's entirely possibly that I'm mistaken and there are ways to get around it, but in general I wouldn't count on their availability. Give it a shot, though!

')