Looking for a versatile amp

acerv12340

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Like the title says, I'm looking for a versatile amp. I currently have a Peavey JSX 100W head and the cab that accompanies it. It's versatile but I'm looking for a smaller amp. This thing is too big and heavy. I've had this thing for a while now and want a smaller amp because it has been a huge hassle trying to get this thing in my little car and it's destroying the seats.

I'm looking for a smaller head/cab combo type amp. I'd like a 50/25W switching feature like the PRS Archon. That amp is too expensive and muddy for my tastes. I play clean, distorted and high gain metal. I listen to bands that vary like This Town Needs Guns, In Angles, Save Us From the Archon, Title Fight, Polyphia, Periphery, Volumes and The Contortionist(I guess it doesn't vary too much). So metalcore, prog metal, math rock, shoegaze and post hardcore. However, I've been playing a lot of cleaner soft stuff more related to math/post rock. I just want to be able to utilize my Schecter Hellraiser C-7, Fender Telecaster, and Ibanez RG421. I also want to be able to fit it into my car easily with all my gear and just go jam or play small shows or just play in my room and sound good without having to worry about cranking up the volume too high.

I would like to pay less than $1500. Any higher and I might as well just go all out and save for an Axe FX. I know that will cover any genre.

So anyone got some good amps out there?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
the Laney Ironheart line is pretty versatile, especially my Studio. but as it's pretty british in nature, you're gonna need the proper couple of pedals to make its high gain channels sound more modern.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
If you wanna go the Axe route, find a used Standard or Ultra. Might be able to find one for under $1500. Could also try the Marshall JMP-1 pre into a power amp.

Laimon

Reaction score
How about a powered Kemper?
It's probably more than the amount of money you were hoping to pay, but it will pay off in versatility and longevity (get tired of your usual sounds? Try new profiles :) )
I practically only use one clean and one dirty profiles, but I don't care if it's overkill, I just love how this toy sounds!

Bearitone

Reaction score
I say either a 6505 combo or 5150iii combo.

Both are absolute beasts for high-gain metal.
I've played both the heads and preferred the 6505. The 5150iii has a smoother gain which I didn't like, but its super bouncy and very clear. If it had the same chainsaw-like gain structure like the 6505 I would be all over it.

Anyway, they both have built in reverbs and are light enough and loud enough to gig comfortably

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
Careful with 212 Combo like the EVH, it's a real pain in the ass: stairs, small car, backbone etc...if you like your JSX, I can recommend the EVH 50W (ivery good at low volumes) and the matching cab or an Avatar 212 with a mix of V30 and Creamback (Periphery style). Simply the most versatile brutal amp on the market for 1000$ new. Plus you can easily find one Mexican used for 700$. With a good used cab, it will be around 1000$.

UnattendedGolfcart

SSO's Fat Mac
Reaction score
EVH 5153 mini and either the matching 2x12 or something with V30's

Yep.

I have a Schecter Hellraiser C-7 and it sounds destructive with the EVH :hbang: the low end really comes out but is easily tamable. I also played my friend's PRS SE on it and the cleans sounded phenomenal to me. All of the channels are quite usable if you find what you like out of them. Not a hard amp to dial in a good sound either.

Periphery used the EVH 5153 as their main power amp to record PII, and The Contortionist has frequently used 5150s to record their albums before Language (I can get a really good high gain Contortionist style tone on the EVH imo)

acerv12340

Reaction score
I say either a 6505 combo or 5150iii combo.

Both are absolute beasts for high-gain metal.
I've played both the heads and preferred the 6505. The 5150iii has a smoother gain which I didn't like, but its super bouncy and very clear. If it had the same chainsaw-like gain structure like the 6505 I would be all over it.

Anyway, they both have built in reverbs and are light enough and loud enough to gig comfortably

Yeah, I'm well aware of those, just not sure if they are all that versatile. Like I said, I play other stuff other than metal (and less and less as days pass by). They are pretty good amps though.

acerv12340

Reaction score
The EVH 5153 50W seems to be a popular amp in terms of versatility. I'll have to go check them out. Anyone know more about the Randall MTS? The idea of it seems really cool. I just don't know if the modules sound good as I have never played one myself. I'm also not sure if they have 50W versions.

I've also heard good things about some Marshall amps but for some irrational reason I don't want a Marshall amp.

RustInPeace

Reaction score
Randall MTS sounds good on paper, but doesnt really. Try a 50W Marshall JVM, an EVH 5153, or a used Mark V 25.

Jaxcharvel

Reaction score
A Mark IV or a Mark V. You probably won't find a V in your price range but you shouldn't have to much trouble finding a IV. I have a V and short of an Axe or other high dollar modeller you won't find a more versatile rig.