Looking for affordable custom shops

• Thread starter Eptaceros
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
Solid logic. :lol: Dude, re-read the responses and understand that people aren't giving you advice pulled out of their asses, they're trying to help you understand why what you are asking for is very difficult to find. I've been around the custom shop block a few times and I'll tell you straight up in your price range, if you're not going Carvin chances are you're going to get a guitar of so-so quality if you're shopping for a small luthier build "on a budget". If you want something high quality in a lefty, you can either spend $1300 for a Carvin or pony up and get something in the $3K range to get quality with higher levels of customization. Guitars in the low range with a small builder just won't have the quality you're demanding. :shrug:

THANK YOU. You're the first person to give me a straight answer. Not to say I didn't appreciate everyone's responses, (especially those that gave concrete recommendations), but it seems as though everyone is quick to judge my decisions before they're willing to help me out. I wanted to know if Carvin was the only poor man's godsend in the realm of customized guitars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
There are plenty of lesser known builders out there that'll be more than happy to build you a cheap custom, just don't expect it to be on the same level as the shops you mentioned.

Carvin gets by using semi-customs and building them on a large scale, via a very streamlined production operation. Don't compare them to builders who only put out a very small fraction or those who do full custom work. It's apples and potatoes.

THANK YOU. You're the first person to give me a straight answer. Not to say I didn't appreciate everyone's responses, (especially those that gave concrete recommendations), but it seems as though everyone is quick to judge my decisions before they're willing to help me out. I wanted to know if Carvin was the only poor man's godsend in the realm of customized guitars.

:scratch:

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
Eptaceros said:
Not to say I didn't appreciate everyone's responses, (especially those that gave concrete recommendations), but it seems as though everyone is quick to judge my decisions before they're willing to help me out.

For your clarification Razzy, Max is included in what is bolded. Even though he did write this at the end of his first response:

A custom shouldn't be something where you're shopping with your wallet first, or are looking to be thrifty. It should be a guitar that you're looking to own for a very long time, and you have very specific needs for. All six of those builders you mentioned make a very specific product, are you really sure you know what you want?

I don't appreciate the insinuation that this thread was made out of the urge to be thrifty, and above all, questioning my motives for wanting a custom. Maybe people don't realize how hard it is for a lefty to find a decent guitar suited to their needs, but it doesn't have to be the highest quality Daemoness or Suhr out there to be considered a good guitar.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I was actually responding to zark's statement: "don't expect Quality with a big Q without the cost with a big $ !"
But Carvin doesn't do customs. They do one-off assembly-line instruments. Carvins are just as custom as a Pizza Hut pizza or a Ford -- you can pick from a list of standard options, that's it.

Ray

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Can you guys recommend me some well-known custom shops that aren't pricey?

How about a lesser-well-known?

Brian Shultz @ B&V Woodworks - B&V WoodWorks

His most "prolific" semi-customs are his Klein-influenced models. Look for 'catfoosh' on eBay.

He's even done multi-scalled guitars.

Ray

Reaction score
You could buy all of the tools required to build and finish a guitar yourself.

A neck-thru 7 string neck from Carvin is $250, but you can get all kinds of options, ebony is stock but you could get birdeye maple, even SS frets.

As for the body, you can get an Alder "Soloist" body from Warmoth, and simply cut the middle out to fit the neck.

Oh shiz, NGD, UPS just came, later dudes! (sixer)

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
I kinda can't believe it took us this long to mention Agile. They tend to show up a lot 'round here...

The OP did ask for something similar to Carvin quality and Agile < Carvin in the quality department.

Alot of lefties buy a Carvin at some point in their life because they have always offered most of their guitars left handed.

And after all, how many places can you pick your neck/body/fretboard wood, bridge type, inlays, etc and get the guitar to your door in 6-8 weeks at any price, much less under $2K in most cases. Sure, the options aren't unlimited but there's alot to choose from.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Strictly 7 and Oakland Axe Factory, too. Maybe not as inexpensive as Carvin, but certainly not starting at the $3000 mark.

Artifacts in Motion

Form & Function
Reaction score
Venture Guitars

Based out of Boston, MA. They're relatively affordable for the touring musician, and they'll pretty much do anything.
My custom in-the-works just barely broke 3k, but that's with options that fill an 8x11 piece of paper at 12pt. font...

If you're looking for a lefty with nice pups, maybe a figured top and a bit of exotic wood, I don't think you'd end up spending more than $2000 from them. Just be prepared for a wait if you end up on the waiting list.

Reaction score
Siggery customs (kind of black machine rip offs in my opinion) will only run about 2k after being shipped to the U.S.

They've been reviewed in guitar world and all that I think too

Siggery are pretty decent. Had to laugh at the black machine comment but do see your point. However, they are worthwhile bits of kit and worth the money.

steve1

Reaction score
I say make do with what you already have, and save up for longer. Long term satisfaction > short term satisfaction.

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
Neal Moser/Moser Custom Shop, when I bought mine the Templar series were mostly 1.5-2k and you'll get something done by a guy with decades of experience for that.

aaron_rose

more bigger
Reaction score
If you ain't ready to pay 3k for a guitar, you ain't ready to go custom IMO

Carvin and Warmoth are your best bet then

I picked up my strictly 7+1 for FAR less than 3 grand and they attract players. Well known players who demand a good product. To each their own but 3 grand is not a good affordable custom shop price, you can get a awesome custom for around 1500 to 2000 from many many man shops around the world. Most guitars cost around 5 to 700 just in materials and hardware if it is a hardtail.

')