Looking for either........

• Thread starter RGmaster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
^ Agreed. There is a reason why they are so sought after. I wouldn't give up bro - keep looking and in the meantime keep saving and I am sure you will find one thats for you.

Actually, it's more collector mentality. Simply, they're way scarcer than 7620's, and have a whole slew of celebrity tie-ins, be it Vai, Morbid Angel, or Korn.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm confused, then. How exactly do you differentiate the $400 starting price for a 7620GN vs. the $800 for a green dot BK if not by the Morbid Angel tie-in and scarcity? I mean, $100 or so, maybe I'd buy it, but what makes one double the price of the other, considering they're both made of the same materials, both come with the same bridge and Dimarzios, have equally complex inlays, and both have conservative finishes?

If you say "fit and finish," then are you in the habit of paying $400 for a fret job?

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
you updated your profile, your new main 7 is that 1527?
that nice eh????
can't wait to check it out.

sorry , don't want to hi jack the thread

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
You could also argue front mounted electronics vs. back in the UV vs. 7620/1527, but i think thats kinda negligible.
My main draw to the UV is the playability and the aesthetics.

...And the morbid angel tie in.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
:lol: @ Ken. Actually, the front/rear routing thing is probably the biggest tonal difference between the two, as it certainly does change the way they resonate. The 1527/7620 are a little snappier and brighter whereas the UV's seem to have a little more depth to them, but even then it's pretty subtle. And, honestly, I can't say for sure how much of it is just the fact that the basswood in my UV is about 10 years older than any other RG7 I've ever played.

Yeah, Nick, the PWH owns, of course, but I'm just really digging this 1527. I prefer the thicker (finished) neck and the wider/taller frets, and while I don't spend enough time at the very top of the neck for it to be a huge factor, there's no denying the AANJ is nice, after years on an old-style neck heel. I'm still playing the PWH, but the 1527 is the first guitar I reach for these days.

/OT

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
:lol: @ Ken. Actually, the front/rear routing thing is probably the biggest tonal difference between the two, as it certainly does change the way they resonate. The 1527/7620 are a little snappier and brighter whereas the UV's seem to have a little more depth to them, but even then it's pretty subtle.

Exactly. And even then, its probably more noticable in your style of music, since you shoot for a totally different tone than i do, but honestly, who'd notice under quigley-levels of distortion that i generally use?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Exactly. And even then, its probably more noticable in your style of music, since you shoot for a totally different tone than i do, but honestly, who'd notice under quigley-levels of distortion that i generally use?

Probably. I mean, that much gain could make a toothpick and dental floss sound like a Les Paul.

:flame:

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
First of all I apologize to the poster of this thread for all the cross-talk but since it kinda has already gone nuts, here is my 2 cents.

Old UV's are COMPLETELY different creatures from 7620's, just as 7620's are different to modern 5 piece neck Prestige or JC's. I do however agree, its almost exclusively in the neck in this comparison. After owning several old UV's as well as 7620's, and Modern Ibanez 7's I would say that the creation/finishing (I dont mean clear) of Old UV necks is pretty darn inconsistant, mostly in a good way. The thickness and rounding is pretty different. It almost HAS to be that they were finish sanded by hand to a great degree and/or depth. All four of my old UV's are different in various places on the neck and either more or less rounded on the fingerboard edges. So much, that I actually just bought a digital caliper off Ebay because Im completely curious now. I can understand natural wear from thier age, but the things I see are consistant within each guitar, and make me think each neck carries a little personality or mood of whoever was doing the job that day at the factory. Kinda similar to the whole Fender 50's V-neck thing that people speculate about with guitars from that era and why certain necks are highly cherished over others from the same era.

These are the quirks, that draw me to old UV's and something I do not see in later, more mass-produced models such as the 7620 and later guitars. I also admit, I like the aesthetics more, or why else would I have paid a buttload for the ATD MC. Tone, fit, and finish Ill leave for you guys to hash out, but for me, its all about the necks and thier quirks.

Eric

Reaction score
:yesway:

7321s, 7420s, 7620s, and UVs are all indentical in terms of quality because they are basswood, maple, and rosewood made in Ibanez factories...

Yea you're right Chris. I have no idea what I'm talking about. I only play these guitars on a daily basis...

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
Ok now i wanna chime in on this topic. I myself own a 1997 Universe, the last of the good ones might i add and a 1998 Rg7620 and i agree with Eric that the quality is better on the UV. The fretwork is noticably better on my UV and the overall tone doesnt even compare. We dont even need to talk about the new Universe because its not comparable to the old ones if you ask me. I also own a new J Custom and i dont think twice about what plays better and feels better. The old Universe is the best Ibanez 7 string arguably besides maybe the CT and CST models. UVMC, UV7BK, UV7PWH, UV7GR :bowdown:

Eric

Reaction score
I just don't understand why whenever I disagree with Drew I get my face ripped off by moderators. I apologize for a variance of beliefs and opinions... this site would be far more interesting if we all thought the same thing... about everything... all the time... :)

Anyway... agree to disagree.

Sorry for wrecking your thread Jake.

RGmaster

Reaction score
Its straight i dont mind it really, ive got like half of my knowledge of guitars reading your guys comments for months now, so now i know what to look for and how to shop for UV's lol.

But yea the primary reason i want a UV is for its classic nature, and theyre beautiful guitars in my opinion, so i want one now while i have a chance before years down the road when they will be harder than ever to get one...

keithb

Forum MVP
Reaction score
But yea the primary reason i want a UV is for its classic nature, and theyre beautiful guitars in my opinion, so i want one now while i have a chance before years down the road when they will be harder than ever to get one...

:agreed: If you want a UV because you like the UV, that's the perfect reason to get one.

Just to throw my :2c: into the pot, I agree with Drew, other than the neck profile, frets and pickups, the UVs and 7620's I've played may as well have been the same guitar. I prefer the UV neck profile and frets, but that's just my preference. Never played a 1527, because I'm afraid if I do I'll buy one :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
')