Looking for feedback for a quick rough mix

laltrogiorno

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey, I've been learning All New Materials from Periphery and, I have to say, I am having a blast (pun not entirely intended).
I am new to mixing but, gathering some info here and there, I managed to get something out of my DAW.
Here is the result for now, I would love to hear some feedback:wavey:.

Do note that I am on a cheap badly tuned and poorly intonated ibanez GIO (for now) with 5 month old strings, I'll just get everything sorted setup-wise once I am ready for proper tracking.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
The mix is not bad, but the tuning is far enough off that it's incredibly distracting.

The clean sound at the beginning could probably use the most work - it's very pokey/dynamic (compared to the very compressed sound of the original) and has more low-end content than it needs.

laltrogiorno

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The mix is not bad, but the tuning is far enough off that it's incredibly distracting.

The clean sound at the beginning could probably use the most work - it's very pokey/dynamic (compared to the very compressed sound of the original) and has more low-end content than it needs.
First of all thank you for such a quick response, I do agree the tuning is worse than I thought, I tried working around the problem trying to fix the setup myself, using lighter picks, beefier strings, but I guess it's time to get it setup by a proper tech.

Regarding the clean tone, yeah, not even close to what I want (that's not necessarily the godly original tone), I'll try some more compression.

Did you find any other problem in the mix? Especially level wise

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
The levels are fine. There's a lot of bass, but it's hard to tell if it's just because it stands out when not tuned the same as the guitar.

laltrogiorno

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The levels are fine. There's a lot of bass, but it's hard to tell if it's just because it stands out when not tuned the same as the guitar.
Yeah the tuning could be messing with the bass, this also explains my struggle with finding a sweetspot in which guitar and bass blend together nicely.

Last edited:

Latest posts

')