Looking for headless 7's

AWAX

Reaction score
Long post incoming!

Hey guys, its been a long time since I've posted on here, maybe when I last got my Schecter KM-7, which I still really enjoy playing. I was thinking of swapping out the Nazgul in the bridge for an SD Pegasus.

Anyways, I was window shopping for a new guitar, as many if us with GAS do, and stumbled upon the headless, preferably multi-scale 7 string guitar. I personally like the aethetics of them, and the bigger focus on ergonomics, and have found that there were a few that I was thinking about.

I was just wanting to get everyone elses opinions on them, as I have not played any, nor have access to any of them either.

The three guitars I was looking into were the Strandberg Boden OS7, Kiesel Vader VSM7, and Ormsby Goliath GTR 7.

The Boden OS7 is the one that I aesthetically like the most, the Endureneck seems like a very cool concept for ergonomics, and the body shape and few pickup options are also appealing to me. And hey, if Plini uses one, they have to be pretty good.

I have heard unfavorable reviews about the finish wearing much too quickly, and the Endureneck opinions being either love or hate. Also, the price seems to be unreasonable for a South Korean made guitar (~2000 USD).

For the Kiesel, its made in the US (major plus for many), the base price is more affordable than the other two (though its very easy to drive up the price, a la Porsche), nearly millions of customization options, and uses a Hipshot bridge system and the neck through construction is a plus (nothing against Strandberg or Ormsby for their bolt-on necks).

However, I personally am not a fan of the body shape, and for the specs that you actually want versus the specs you need, the difference is huge. The biggest thing to me against Carvin is the price.

For the Ormsby, I quite like the body shape as well, they're priced around the VM7 and OS7, the fanning of the frets is more pronounced (for better or worse), and being a smaller company, they experiment with woods, finishes.etc.

However, like the Boden, the instrument is assembled in South Korea and sent back to Australia, and shipped out from there. The quality I would guess, would not be up to snuff when compared to a brand like Kiesel.

What are everyone's thoughts on these guitars? I'm still fairly new to 7's, and have no idea with headless guitars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

marcwormjim

Reaction score
In your case, I'd look for a used Kiesel, but be open to snagging a used Boden if an OS7 pops up for less than the Kiesels you've been seeing. With Strandberg's new line coming out in June, I'm expecting OS listings here and on Reverb. The lowest I've seen a used OS7 go for is $1500 US.

If you insist on buying new, bear in mind that, in the 9+ weeks you'll be waiting on a Kiesel build, you could be missing a lot of used deals.

Jeffbro

Banned
Reaction score
Neck is a deal breaker, I strongly suggest against buying endurneck unless you've tried one. If you hate the neck the guitar is wasted.

I don't like the vader shape but the quality and woods will be better than both Korean models. Used vaders can be found reasonably priced and well optioned.

No experience with ormsby but seems like reviews are hit and miss. I would not be comfortable with buying a $2k guitar with questionable quality from overseas. Returns would be a huge pain.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I own multiple strandys and vaders. Get a vader used or if you want one new then keep the specs simple( it will be much more affordable). Personally i find my vaders to be far more comfortable than the strandbergs i own. I prefer the strap pin placement and more comfortable forearm contour of the vader. Both have relatively similar fans and are comfortable. The endurneck is my least favorite/least comfortable neck out of all the necks i've tried.

A-Branger

Reaction score
The Ormsby Goliath should be ready in April/May as they finally got their build spot in the factory. So if you can wait couple of months to see the reviews if you are keen for those

Also its been confirmed, they are going to come with Hipshot hardware too. Bit different to the one used by Kiesel Vaders. They also going to be chambered if Im not wrong

As for the woods, they are using high quality stuff. Just because its build in Korea it doesnt mean they use bad woods. They could if they wanted to, but they pick their own wood supplier and give the woods to the factory to use. But mind you they do use veneers to keep the price down of course. If you want a tick top then go for Kiesel

Bdtunn

Reaction score
I'd look up drinkwater/Oakland axe factory/fast guitars. They all work together. I had a 7 built by Tom a year and half ago and it's superb, and headless.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
There shouldn't be any problem at all with the korean made ormsbys.
Vader is the best value proposition in the states if you like made in usa.
Used ones are kind of rare right now for some reason though if you want multiscale. If you are ok with a regular scale they can be had for 1000-1100 used.

Bearilla

Reaction score
Just purchased a WMI Strandberg. The quality exceeded my expectations and I like the Endurneck. I don't fell it is the most comfortable neck I have played on but I don't find it uncomfortable. It doesn't hinder my playing and I never have pain.

The good thing about the Strandberg is if you don't like it for whatever reason just return it no hassle. Or if there are issues with it just contact support and they get you taken care of with no hassle.

You just missed out. They had a sale on Boden OS 7's for $1500ish.

laxu

Reaction score
I'd probably go with the Vader since you are in the US, preferably a multiscale model.

The things I would avoid with Kiesel are ash bodies because I feel they can be a bit too scooped when combined with their Lithium pickups and personally I'm not fond of how they do bursts nowadays so solid or single color finish would be best options. This is going to be the cheapest option too if you don't go overboard with wood and finish options.

Also consider jumping straight to 8-string because you might end up liking that too. I don't feel the playability significantly changes over a 7-string.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone mention Skervesen Shoggie 7 yet?