Looking for mixing advice

• Thread starter Umber _Metal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So i've started trying to record a demo cd for our band but everything seems to come out weird.

Usually not very loud, what I do is I set the drum levels to where it's not clipping then bring in the guitar and bass until everything sounds even. On the master it's almost peaking but it still needs to be turned up pretty loud on my system to actually hear it.

Then I use EZDrummer metal machine and the kick doesn't seem to have much kick. I use the defaults on FL studio to put on a Bass boost and then an EQ to give it a little bit more of a treble kick.

As far as guitar I just use an EQ to take out the low end and the Bass is the same with a compressor to even out the sound.

https://soundcloud.com/janicke92
Only the first three are the ones going on the demo.

So what I need help with is..
-Making EZDrummer kick have more kick through the sub
-Getting my mixes louder
-Any EQ advice on guitar or bass

Thanks if you gave it a listen or advice really appreciate it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BeeG

Reaction score
The first thing I noticed on the first song is the kick is drowning everything out every time it hits. I'd throw out the Bass Boost you're using and just stick to an EQ. I personally boost my kick in the 50-125 Hz range and a slight bit in the upper end of the spectrum(whatever sounds good).

It's hard to tell how the guitars fit with the bass because of the kick, but I don't think the EQ should ever be the same. You notch out the guitar's EQ and fill it with the bass and vice versa. Same with the kick. Everything has to have it's own place in the EQ to avoid sounding too muddy.

I'm not the most qualified here to tackle a mix like this, but hopefully I helped.

')