Looking for my first 8 string! Strandberg?

• Thread starter Wizeled
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wizeled

Reaction score
Hey there guys, I'm looking to sell my Jackson Misha Mansoor USA HT7 and get an 8 string. Basically I use my 7 with an 8 string tuning due to my band but practice wise and learning new songs I do enjoy all the shred stuff in standard tuning that I practice on another guitar so I thought I would combine both and buy an 8 string. I'm looking for suggestions for guitars with fast necks for some shreddage! I've looked into Strandberg and Kiesel, look wise Strandberg seem very appealing but going from my USA Jackson into a production line guitar kinda scares me. I didn't really want to go over £2000 either.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd be leary about jumping off into a Strandberg, the Endurneck isn't for everyone.

I'd also recommend the J series if you want better quality if you still want a Strandberg.

JSanta

Reaction score
I'd be leary about jumping off into a Strandberg, the Endurneck isn't for everyone.

I'd also recommend the J series if you want better quality if you still want a Strandberg.

I'll echo what Max has said here. I think for your budget, grab a Kiesel. Don't go crazy with woods, which will make the price skyrocket.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Just get a used Kiesel if you can find one. Their history of customer service when dealing with a guitar that has issues is less than stellar. If you can find one you like in the wild, you'll get a better deal. They make some cool instruments, so there should be plenty to pick from.

Two Panthers

B8 Bomber
Reaction score
The best 8 string ever made was the first made by Ibanez, one of the rarest examples of a model line or series that was perfected from the start...it only went downhill after that, and unless you want to spend over $2k, the best bet is

IBANEZ RG2228

UnstableinLINY

Reaction score
No matter what you get you'll probably hate the pups after a little while. If you are gonna get strandberg, get a classic which will save you $500 then you can get some better pickups and still have some $ left over for extras.

I agree with above comment about getting a kiesel (used even better if excellent condition). The wood options jack up the price quite a bit but they are pretty solid guitars and if you keep it simple you can keep the cost down.

In 8s I've owned 2 agiles, 1 schecter C8FR, A dean ML8, Ibanez S8QM, Strandberg OS8, And a Kiesel Zeus Z8X. All of them had/have their pluses and minuses but I tended to like the headless chambered guitars due to low weight and reduced neck dive.

I find the endure neck really comfy around the 12th fret but a little too thicc at the 1st couple frets. The zeus has the thin neck option which isn't as thin as the wizard on the S8QM but it's pretty damn comfy. Good luck!

Ben Pinkus

Reaction score
As your in the UK, I wouldn't go Kiesel.

I like the strandbergs and have been gassing for one recently, but I would wait to play one just to make sure you're getting a good one, or got the 2nd hand route.

If its not urgent and can deal with a wait time, and you can save abit more I'd go the Aristides route personally.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't sell the Jackson to downgrade to an inferior 8. You might decide you don't like how 8s feel, your tastes might change...it sounds like a recipe for later regret.

I've owned a couple strandbergs and I wouldn't say the endurneck is partcularly "fast." It's a chunky neck, and if you're not really strict about keeping your thumb on the back of the neck it can feel awkward. Some people love them, personally they weren't for me.

RiksRiks

ERG Player Wannabe
Reaction score
I own a Strandberg J8 and a Kiesel Vanquish Multiscale 8.

Both are good, but I don't really love the thickness on the Vanquish, probably the fattest feeling neck on an 8 I've ever played. (For reference, I have some experience with Ibanez and LTD for 8 strings)

The quality on my J8 is actually really good, not to say anything bad about the Kiesel but the Strandy is a tidbit more solid. Also, I don't feel like any of the two are specially fitted for super fast shredding (I'm sure a lot of actual good players will refute me but well) this is mainly because the high register scale tends to be around 26" and I'm not used to those kind of baritone lengths in my high e.

If you do look for a used Kiesel I would suggest trying to play one with the slimmed down neck option to see if that accommodates to your shreddy needs better. Although the Endureneck doesn't strike me as a particularly fast neck, it certainly is really comfortable for me using an 8 and it's the neck shape that has felt the best for my hands.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't sell the Jackson to downgrade to an inferior 8. You might decide you don't like how 8s feel, your tastes might change...it sounds like a recipe for later regret.

I've owned a couple strandbergs and I wouldn't say the endurneck is partcularly "fast." It's a chunky neck, and if you're not really strict about keeping your thumb on the back of the neck it can feel awkward. Some people love them, personally they weren't for me.

This is actually no bad advice. The Juggernaut already has a 26.5" scale. Which isn't the best for tuning to F#. But it's not awful either. You're not going to gain a huge difference from .5" of additional scale length. I'd honestly suck it up unless you just hate that guitar. It's a better made instrument than most of the 8 strings mentioned in this thread.

Reasonable things to validate getting rid of the guitar:
1. You just don't like it and this is an excuse to bite the bullet and make the switch.
2. You can't live without the added high string. Highly debatable if you don't solo much.
3. You've explored options beyond standard tuning that would split the difference between a 7 and 8 string. For instance, Charlie hunter plays an 8 string, but it has the low 3 strings of a bass and the high 5 strings of a guitar. With a 7 string, you could do the low three of an 8 with the high 4 of a standard tuned guitar. Tuning can be a driver of creativity as well.

Wizeled

Reaction score

Ye i joined the facebook group to see if I could maybe get a japanese one. It does worry me I won't like the neck, I wanted to give it a try before but every store is closed...

Wizeled

Reaction score
No matter what you get you'll probably hate the pups after a little while. If you are gonna get strandberg, get a classic which will save you $500 then you can get some better pickups and still have some $ left over for extras.

I agree with above comment about getting a kiesel (used even better if excellent condition). The wood options jack up the price quite a bit but they are pretty solid guitars and if you keep it simple you can keep the cost down.

In 8s I've owned 2 agiles, 1 schecter C8FR, A dean ML8, Ibanez S8QM, Strandberg OS8, And a Kiesel Zeus Z8X. All of them had/have their pluses and minuses but I tended to like the headless chambered guitars due to low weight and reduced neck dive.

I find the endure neck really comfy around the 12th fret but a little too thicc at the 1st couple frets. The zeus has the thin neck option which isn't as thin as the wizard on the S8QM but it's pretty damn comfy. Good luck!

Look wise I really do like the vader quite a lot, I do prefer the strandberg look overall but the vader looks pretty slick as well. As for neck thickness , I got an Ibanez, a Strat and a Sterling JP157. For shredding I actually prefer the strat haha

Wizeled

Reaction score
This is actually no bad advice. The Juggernaut already has a 26.5" scale. Which isn't the best for tuning to F#. But it's not awful either. You're not going to gain a huge difference from .5" of additional scale length. I'd honestly suck it up unless you just hate that guitar. It's a better made instrument than most of the 8 strings mentioned in this thread.

Reasonable things to validate getting rid of the guitar:
1. You just don't like it and this is an excuse to bite the bullet and make the switch.
2. You can't live without the added high string. Highly debatable if you don't solo much.
3. You've explored options beyond standard tuning that would split the difference between a 7 and 8 string. For instance, Charlie hunter plays an 8 string, but it has the low 3 strings of a bass and the high 5 strings of a guitar. With a 7 string, you could do the low three of an 8 with the high 4 of a standard tuned guitar. Tuning can be a driver of creativity as well.

Basically I love my Jackson, it's absolutely perfect buuuuut I enjoy playing lead and that guitar is sitting at F# Standard at the moment just for band stuff. Alternative is getting a dead cheap 8 or 7 and tune it to F# or Drop E and get the Jackson back to standard. Another thing that is appealing to me as far as headless goes is being really tiny which is convenient when travelling.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Basically I love my Jackson, it's absolutely perfect buuuuut I enjoy playing lead and that guitar is sitting at F# Standard at the moment just for band stuff. Alternative is getting a dead cheap 8 or 7 and tune it to F# or Drop E and get the Jackson back to standard. Another thing that is appealing to me as far as headless goes is being really tiny which is convenient when travelling.

See, I don't understand this need to return to standard tuning. If what you're using is working for your band, why change it at home? You should be exploring it more. Finding new and creative ways of using THAT tuning. Learn to use that tuning for other songs that don't use that tuning. I don't understand the standard tuning as a preference thing. Its a starting point. If the guitar is working in the context that you're using it for, don't change it. Use it that way, or adapt it to the concept with your personal needs in mind. I also don't like ditching a nice instrument for something not as nice in order to create some consistency. Break the rules and step outside the box. Standard tuning isn't any better than any other tuning. Try doing F#, B, E, D, G, B, E. There's plenty of strings left for shreddy stuff, and it gives you the low strings to play detuned rhythms. Going headless is cool. Yeah, the guitar is light weight. However, if you love the guitar, no matter what, trading it in on another guitar is always going to end in you missing the guitar you traded in. Regardless of how much you liked the new guitar. Always happens. You're better off getting a cheap 8. Figuring out how to mitigate the differences between what you're doing and standard, or save your money long enough to get one that is equivalent value. Tanking a guitar you love should never be an acceptable option.

Wizeled

Reaction score
See, I don't understand this need to return to standard tuning. If what you're using is working for your band, why change it at home? You should be exploring it more. Finding new and creative ways of using THAT tuning. Learn to use that tuning for other songs that don't use that tuning. I don't understand the standard tuning as a preference thing. Its a starting point. If the guitar is working in the context that you're using it for, don't change it. Use it that way, or adapt it to the concept with your personal needs in mind. I also don't like ditching a nice instrument for something not as nice in order to create some consistency. Break the rules and step outside the box. Standard tuning isn't any better than any other tuning. Try doing F#, B, E, D, G, B, E. There's plenty of strings left for shreddy stuff, and it gives you the low strings to play detuned rhythms. Going headless is cool. Yeah, the guitar is light weight. However, if you love the guitar, no matter what, trading it in on another guitar is always going to end in you missing the guitar you traded in. Regardless of how much you liked the new guitar. Always happens. You're better off getting a cheap 8. Figuring out how to mitigate the differences between what you're doing and standard, or save your money long enough to get one that is equivalent value. Tanking a guitar you love should never be an acceptable option.

Let's just say that my band isn't exactly my priority as a musician, I enjoy working on technique above everything else, it's just what i have most fun doing as far as guitar goes, that includes learning all the shred solos from bands such as DT and others, so standard tuning or eb is prefered in that case.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Let's just say that my band isn't exactly my priority as a musician, I enjoy working on technique above everything else, it's just what i have most fun doing as far as guitar goes, that includes learning all the shred solos from bands such as DT and others, so standard tuning or eb is prefered in that case.

You and I are exact opposites as players then. Writing music with my band is my #1 priority as a musician. Everything I learn, buy, or think of is in service to that end.

Wizeled

Reaction score
You and I are exact opposites as players then. Writing music with my band is my #1 priority as a musician. Everything I learn, buy, or think of is in service to that end.

To each their own man.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
To each their own man.

No argument here. I guess since I've gotten older, I just don't make space for things that don't serve my end goals. There's not enough time in life to waste my time on anything that doesn't get me closer to where I want to be. For me that's my kids and my band.

bzhang9

Reaction score
fastest 8 necks i've tried are schecter ultra thin C (19-20mm) on hellraiser hybrids, banshees etc and later ibanez prestige 8s (19-21mm), note this is mostly on rg852s, most rg2228s have a fatter version but still decent

kiesel thin is a close second, strandberg necks vary some are chucky as hell some are more tolerable

Wizeled

Reaction score
fastest 8 necks i've tried are schecter ultra thin C (19-20mm) on hellraiser hybrids, banshees etc and later ibanez prestige 8s (19-21mm), note this is mostly on rg852s, most rg2228s have a fatter version but still decent

kiesel thin is a close second, strandberg necks vary some are chucky as hell some are more tolerable

What worries me mostly is the neck indeed, Kiesel Vader looks pretty nice! Just wondering how the Strandberg OS 8 is, any clue?

')