Looking for new amp opinions

• Thread starter Khaine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalHead40

Reaction score
I gotta admit I'm really liking what I hear from the Delieverance. I saw a few 120's for sale but cant find any 60s at all. I saw that there is no loop on the VHT models and they go from quiet to LOUD. Most of my playing will be done at a more bedroom level so could something like that be rectified with a volume pedal out front? Or can they be still used at lower volumes well?

The D60 I owned had a loop installed and with an MXR 10 band in the loop volume was completely manageable. These amps still don't come alive until you really get them cooking though. Not that it sounded bad, but the grin factor doesn't occur until the power section is wound up and at that point your rattling pictures off the walls.

There was 1 or 2 D60s on Reverb I thought. I just grabbed a 50cl Pitbull yesterday...should be interesting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Splawn Quick Rod would be solid. An old JCM2000 DSL always a good option. The JCM900 SL-X (specifically that one, not the Dual Reverb) would be good.

Maybe a Krank Chadwick or Nineteen80. I know they are odd-ball but I found they worked well for the Marshall thing, the Nineteen80 in particular was pretty gainy and not so far away from a Quick Rod.

Really a lot of good options, those are just a few of my favorites.

Khaine

Reaction score
Atm the moment I think it may be between the Deliverance and Quick Rod. I saw Fryette offers a mod to add a Effects Loop so thats always an option. I just sold my ENGL Powerball on Reverb so soon as the money comes in I'm gonna buy one of those two I'm thinking. The JCM 2000 I think may end up having a home here as well, I do like the sound of that thing. I had a Diavlo 100 about 6 years ago but I just couldnt get what I wanted out of it. It just kinda felt like it was missing something.

Edit. Yeah theres one D60 on Reverb atm but its in Greece.

MetalHead40

Reaction score
Atm the moment I think it may be between the Deliverance and Quick Rod. I saw Fryette offers a mod to add a Effects Loop so thats always an option. I just sold my ENGL Powerball on Reverb so soon as the money comes in I'm gonna buy one of those two I'm thinking. The JCM 2000 I think may end up having a home here as well, I do like the sound of that thing. I had a Diavlo 100 about 6 years ago but I just couldnt get what I wanted out of it. It just kinda felt like it was missing something.

Edit. Yeah theres one D60 on Reverb atm but its in Greece.

The D60s pop up pretty regular it seems. Usually see a few through the year on TGP and RT forums in addition to Reverb. The Splawn QR I had with the Drop B+ option KILLED! Both the Splawn and D60 stood almost toe to toe with the Wizard MCII when I got it. The Splawn & D60 are AWESOME!

Khaine

Reaction score
The D60s pop up pretty regular it seems. Usually see a few through the year on TGP and RT forums in addition to Reverb. The Splawn QR I had with the Drop B+ option KILLED! Both the Splawn and D60 stood almost toe to toe with the Wizard MCII when I got it. The Splawn & D60 are AWESOME!

The Deliverance sounds fantastic from what I've heard. It sounds super tight and articulate. The vast majority of Splawn QR and Nitro clips I've found are bluesy stuff and brown sound 80s rock/metal. Can a QR match the Deliverance in tight palm muting and chugging?

This is the kind of stuff I like to play for example.

MetalHead40

Reaction score
The Deliverance sounds fantastic from what I've heard. It sounds super tight and articulate. The vast majority of Splawn QR and Nitro clips I've found are bluesy stuff and brown sound 80s rock/metal. Can a QR match the Deliverance in tight palm muting and chugging?

This is the kind of stuff I like to play for example.

The 2012 QR I had was one of the most devastating & brutal amps I've owned and I've owned many. HUGE punchy palm mutes that will rattle the room around you. I gave both the D60 & QR a slight slight boost out front with an OD just to tighten further and add a touch more saturation.

It's hard to tell from a video, but that sounds like it has a ton of saturation/compression going on. The D60 & QR are very open fairly uncompressed gain structures. Something like an Engl or Diezel or a 5150 might be better for tones like that. Not that the D60 or QR won't do it because they get heavy/brutal as all get out, but like I said they're not super saturated/compressed gain structures.

Khaine

Reaction score
The 2012 QR I had was one of the most devastating & brutal amps I've owned and I've owned many. HUGE punchy palm mutes that will rattle the room around you. I gave both the D60 & QR a slight slight boost out front with an OD just to tighten further and add a touch more saturation.

It's hard to tell from a video, but that sounds like it has a ton of saturation/compression going on. The D60 & QR are very open fairly uncompressed gain structures. Something like an Engl or Diezel or a 5150 might be better for tones like that. Not that the D60 or QR won't do it because they get heavy/brutal as all get out, but like I said they're not super saturated/compressed gain structures.

The QR sounds good I just wish I could find a proper clip. I'm not trying to get that sound so much in the video but its just an example of how the amp will be used. I just wansnt sure if the QR had the oomph for that kinda thing or if it was relegated to 80s tones. I appreciate the info for sure!

MetalHead40

Reaction score
The QR will do modern metal tones all day long. Extreme oomph to ne had EXTRTEME ;) Good luck!

Khaine

Reaction score
I think my local sewage experts are trying to send me a message

Attachments

• 20191112_125138.jpg
    20191112_125138.jpg
    741.1 KB · Views: 12

Khaine

Reaction score
Today is new gear today. Been busy but managed to get about 10 mins in. Love what I've heard so far. Definitely looking forward to playing with it soon. Annnnd it goes from quiet to holy crap instantly too lol. May grab one of those Fryette Power Stations.

Attachments

• VHT.jpg
    VHT.jpg
    823 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

')