Looking for new amp opinions

• Thread starter Khaine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Khaine

Reaction score
Looking to pick up a tube head. I play mostly power metal and some thrash type stuff. Iced Earth, Orden Ogan, older tallica, some Dark Tranquillity at times even. I'm looking for something with a nice saturated gain with a tight attack and clarity. Not really looking for br00tz and whatnot and I like a modded Marshall kinda sound I guess? I had a ENGL Powerball but the gain sounded too synthetic to me. Was looking at a ENGL Artist Edition or maybe a Splawn Nitro or Marshal DSL100/JVM210 but was wondering if anyone else maybe had some thoughts.

Edit: I'm in northern Indiana in the middle of nowhere and I have a budget around $1k atm

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sleewell

Reaction score
splawn quick rod would probably be better for thrash than the nitro.
marshall DSL 100h
VHT/Fryette Sig X

i think adding your location and price range would be helpful. amps available in Europe would probably be different than the US.

Werecow

Reaction score
EVH 5153 50W 6L6 Blue channel is awesome for that kind of stuff, especially with a boost. It's my favourite amp for playing Ride The Lightning era Metallica.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I had a 50w version of the Splawn Nitro for a while and it did thrashy modded Marshall stuff really well, though the Quickrod seems to be more focused on that. The Nitro is more suited to heavier styles with extra bottom end and saturation. Either one would work, though.

The Marshall JVM amps are killer for the tones you want. Try one out if you can :metal:

Khaine

Reaction score
Just got home a few mins ago, and I appreciate all the feedback so far. Listened to a clip or two and I gotta say I'm am seriously impressed by the EVH 50watt. Been trying to find more clips suited to my playing. How is the palm muting on those? Can it pull of something like this clip well? Gonna check out some of the other recommenations now too

Last edited:

MetalHead40

Reaction score
Engl Artist edition as you mentioned
D60
Splawn QR with Drop B+ option
2203/2204 with a boost (probably out of your said budget though)
6505 boosted if you want a darker low mid grunt flavored power metal/thrash (can actually get it into more upper mid crunch thrash with an eq in the loop ;))
6505+ to cover the same as above but with a tighter attack & more upper mid content

Khaine

Reaction score
Pretty nice vid of a Splawn Nitro too. Been listening to some Nitro/QR vids.

Wow this QR sounds massive and clear too. Pretty damn impressive.

Last edited:

Trainwreck

Reaction score
All the suggestions listed above are fantastic. For your budget you can get both the 50 EVH and the Peavey XXX on the used market.

I personally find the DSL100's to be a tad bit high on the compressed side, I'm not sure if that would suit you. I prefer the TSL's for that older boosted Marshall tone. Good luck and keep us posted.

efiltsohg

Reaction score
Been trying to find more clips suited to my playing.

Eric Peterson has used a 5153 on Testament albums since Formation of the Damnation, I think

Seconding the Peavey XXX. Once you take the time to figure out how to dial it in, you'll never find a better $300 amp. I love mine.

Also there are countless "boosted/modded 2203" clones out there that would fit the bill

also try a Mesa F-50 or F-100, I mainly used my F50 back when I played a lot of Iced Earth

MetalHead40

Reaction score
Have to also make honorable mention of the Marshall 8100 valves state...badass thrash/death/modern metal machine for CHEAP.

Khaine

Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on a ENGL Powerball II? I had a V1 Powerball but sold it recently because it just sounded too, synthetic I guess? Tons of gain and the saturation was right tho. I had read before on the PBII they fixed some things on it. I do like the ENGL voicing. I'd like to find one of the Blackout Artist Editions but I havent seen any in America at all.

wheelsdeal

Reaction score
I've owned the Powerball II and nailed the Iced Earth sound with my Icebucker pickup...not too dry,not too saturated just on point.Amazing amp.A bit too compressed though,not very musical...plain brutal.

Getting that Orden Ogan/Iced Earth sound i would suggest something ENGL but may i say "less brutal" a bit more organic,sophisticated,so your idea of the ENGL Artist Edition might be right.Listen to the Invader as well..

Khaine

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I definitely like the Artist Edition, but its hard finding a used one that doesnt live in Germany or Italy.

Last edited:

MetalHead40

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I definitely like the Artist Edition, but its hard finding a used one that doesnt live in Germany or Italy.

I've seen a bunch of them on Reverb this past year for sale in the U.S. Another amp thatm ight be worth researching is a VHT/Fryette 50cl or 100 cl. I just grabbed a 50cl today...should be here next week. Should be tight & articulate with a moderate amount of saturation. The 50cl has a tube rectifier/diode switch for more or less sag which will be great for thrashy stuff.

Also, The D60 is a thrash machine and can be had cheap ;) Don't overlook that beast.

Khaine

Reaction score
I gotta admit I'm really liking what I hear from the Delieverance. I saw a few 120's for sale but cant find any 60s at all. I saw that there is no loop on the VHT models and they go from quiet to LOUD. Most of my playing will be done at a more bedroom level so could something like that be rectified with a volume pedal out front? Or can they be still used at lower volumes well?

Sollipsist

Reaction score
I swear by my Diavlo head. Keep the bright switch on and the gain relatively low and you'll have excellent tight thrash sounds.

')