Looking for new strings for Drop B/Drop C

Djenty

Reaction score
I have an Ibanez RG120 and I'm replacing the pickups (haven't decided yet if you have suggestions let me hear em) and I need new strings because the ones I'm using are super light.

I need good strings for heavy tunings and for djent style music. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
I use the Ernie Ball 12's with the plain 3rd string on my RGA121 for Drop C and Drop B

eb2626.jpg

Reaction score
I play in drop B and use Ernie Ball Power Slinkys (.011 - .048). I use to use the Beefy Slinkys (.011 - .054), but they were too heavy for me. The Powers feel much better IMO.

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
I play in drop B and use Ernie Ball Power Slinkys (.011 - .048). I use to use the Beefy Slinkys (.011 - .054), but they were too heavy for me. The Powers feel much better IMO.

I think the moral to this story is, try a few different types of strings to figure out what you like, because everybody is different. I tried using an 11-52 set on my Ibby first, and they were just way too loose for me.

Reaction score
I think the moral to this story is, try a few different types of strings to figure out what you like, because everybody is different. I tried using an 11-52 set on my Ibby first, and they were just way too loose for me.

Agreed, try a few out. It's a personal feel.

Strobe

Reaction score
My band uses Drop-C on a lot of songs, and I use Ernie Ball Skinny Top / Heavy Bottom (the packs are Orange) for this tuning. Essentially, the bottom three strings are heavy (56, 42, 32 or something like that) - which is comparable to the 12's below. The top three strings are like standard 10's. It's a nice mix in my opinion. The difference between this and 12's is the feel on the top three - do you like slinkier strings for your leads?

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
If I was permanently gunna be in C I'd use EB 11-54, but I tune down to drop C with 10-52's and it feels great.

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
Check out 12-54 D'addario, Dunlop Heavy Core, or even Ernie's balls... to me Ernies feel fine and sound okay but they don't last as long and start to go out of tune while the others hold in tune a bit longer until they start sounding like crap (after a few months). Or get some Elixer Nanowebs if you want to spend a bit more and have them last a longggg time (they're coated).

Dvaienat

Reaction score
13-62 would be perfect. Not too tight and not too loose.

evilsaint

Reaction score
I'm using these Dunlop Heavy Core (Heaviest) strings for Drop C and Drop B.
IMG_1374.jpg

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
Or you could get the DR DDT 11-56. I find those size to be perfect for drop C or B. I have a pair of 12-60's on another guitar for drop B, but that's kind of on the big side. 11-52 would also be fine for drop C, but they can be a bit light on the bass for drop B sometimes. A lot of this also depends on the guitar and how it is setup.

samincolour

Sweaty fox.
Reaction score
I use Ernie Ball Hybrids for drop B! I've only ever really used EB's, I've tried other brands but they feel perfect for me. I've also tried all the different gauges and packs and the Hybrids feel right for my fingers. In drop B they sound great too!

As someone said earlier, try different brands and different gauges until you find 'those' strings :)

BabUShka

Reaction score
13-62 would be perfect. Not too tight and not too loose.

Imo too thick for drop C tuning.. I use 10-52 for drop C, but 56-12 would be a better choise imo if you use drop B too.
But thats me.. I like the loose feeling which gives an extra punch to the palm mutings..

BryanFTWL

#winlosing
Reaction score
I mostly play in B, and my D'Addario .13-.56 sets feel really slinky to me now. It doesn't feel quite as tight as I'd like. I love being able to just hit those super fast triplets with no effort, but when your strings are bouncing around it's next to impossible.

Latest posts

')