Looking for some Classical.

• Thread starter Daemoniac
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Been listening to Krzysztof Penderecki's "Seven Gates of Jerusalem", and the film score for "Alexander Nevsky" by Prokofiev a whole heap lately, and i really want to get some more operatic/classical. I do alreadly love a lot of classical like Vivaldi, Korsakov, Shostakovich, and the likes, but i find it difficult to find good performances of it, so reccomendations there would be great too :)

Thanks in advance :wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Bach's Tocata and Fugue in D minor.

Handel's Messiah all movements.

Anything by Chopin and Richard Strauss

Not exactly Classical, but more Romantic but highly recommended: anything by Maurice Ravel and Claude Debussy.

...and other I can't remember.

vgguru39

Reaction score
This question needs to be more specific. Are you looking for stuff from the classical period? Or just "art" music. I could offer a lot of suggestions but it's important to know what you are looking for. Do you appreciate atonal music? I guess just let me know what you want.

Reaction score
All the classical composers are dead and didn't leave any recordings.

I'm sorry :(

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Bach's Tocata and Fugue in D minor.

Handel's Messiah all movements.

Anything by Chopin and Richard Strauss

Not exactly Classical, but more Romantic but highly recommended: anything by Maurice Ravel and Claude Debussy.

...and other I can't remember.

Thanks very much :)

Thing is, i remembera whole heap of music from when i was living with my dad (He has a collection of Vinyl i would kill for...) and i remember the composers, just not the actual performances that they are, or who performed the pieces :(:noway:

This question needs to be more specific. Are you looking for stuff from the classical period? Or just "art" music. I could offer a lot of suggestions but it's important to know what you are looking for. Do you appreciate atonal music? I guess just let me know what you want.

I have a very broad definition of "classical" music, everything from Vivaldi to Handel, from Phillip Glass to Holst, Debussy, Prokofiev, i consider all 'classical'.

All_¥our_Bass;1521769 said:
Modest Mussorgsky, esp. his "Pictures At An Exhibition."

Thanks a bunch man, i'll look into it :) I recognise the name

All the classical composers are dead and didn't leave any recordings.

I'm sorry :(

I know:D THats why i find it hard finding good performances, it confuses the shit out of me and i dont know what exactly to look for :nuts:

EDIT:
Ok, i was just chatting with my missus, and she pointed out a very good point to me; I get confused with/disregard the differences between plain Orchestral music and choir music, and actual "classical" music per se. To me, i lump them all in together, because i've forgotten most of what i learned about it when i was younger :nuts: So all i have to go on are fragmented names that i remember loving and no names or "periods" to place them under :lol:

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
If you want something really crazy, try to find the Kronos Quartet's performance of George Crumb's 'Black Angels'.;)

In terms of performers, Itzhak Perlman is pretty much the man for anything violin-related. As for pianists, Lang Lang is simply stunning, especially when he plays Beethoven. Speaking of Beethoven, look for Simon Rattle conducting the Berlin Philharmonic for his 5th Symphony.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
^ Thanks very much man, appreciate the reccomendations. For some reason looking for different performances of a composers music confuses the shit out of me :lol:

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Sir Simon has pretty much recorded the definitive recording for Beethoven but I would have had no idea had my alarm clock not been set to Classic.FM where I overheard that particular snippet :)

In terms of performers, Perlman or Maxim Vengarov for violin totally rule (although these days Maxim does more conducting as he's taking a short break from performance) and Lang Lang or Evgeny Kissin really impress me as pianists.

For composers, I like Bartok, Chopin, Liszt and Debusy from more recent times and then your atypical heavyweights like Pagannini, Mozart, Bach, Beethoven etc.....very easy to please :)

DavyH

Elderly juvenile
Reaction score
Russkies: Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Moussourgsky, Shostakovich. Heavy as fuck generally.

Atonal and serial music are worth a look as well. Gyorgy Ligeti, Stravinsky, Bartok.

Good thread.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Gustav Holst's Planets Suite.

My favourite classical pieces. :)

One of mine too :yesway: I remember it very clearly :D

Russkies: Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Moussourgsky, Shostakovich. Heavy as fuck generally.

Atonal and serial music are worth a look as well. Gyorgy Ligeti, Stravinsky, Bartok.

Good thread.

Thanks man, i love Russian composers. Korsakov, Moussourgsky and Shostakovich i listened to heaps, but i cant for the life of me remember the names of the old records :wallbash:

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
^ Yes, he is fantastic. BUT, had you read the opening post you'd notice that im already listening to his compositions :lol:;) Need some stuff like that though.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
i'm partial to chopin and rachmaninov (not sure if i spelled that right. i always fuck it up)

Good thread.

atonal is where it's at. but a lot of people don't like it :(

Reaction score
I know:D THats why i find it hard finding good performances, it confuses the shit out of me and i dont know what exactly to look for :nuts:

I know how you feel, that's why it's so hard for me to get into classical.

')