Looking for some Classical.

• Thread starter Daemoniac
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Don Vito

Reaction score
I have this same problem. I've found some composers I like, such as Arvo Part and Tchaikovsky, but I mainly use Spotify, and have to wane through a .... load of classical compilation albums, that may or may not focus on the specific artist I'm looking for. And the quality is hit or miss. Some of them are even made with MIDI. :lol:

I've always wondered how classical music fans are able to shift through this crap to find the good stuff, especially before the digital age(hell, it was probably easier back then with less options).

redstone

Reaction score
I'm hugely biased towards 19th century french composers, Hasselmans, Debussy, Renié (Henriette), Saint-Saëns, Bizet, Ravel, Tournier (Marcel), especially the harpists.

Renié is incredible. But it's hard to find some great performances...

[YOUTUBEVID]mPx3pWnr7Fw[/YOUTUBEVID]

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Steve Reich
Elliott Carter
Steve Reich's music is pretty easy on the ears but a great starting point is Music for 18 Musicians or Electric Counterpoint.
Elliott Carter's music takes sometime to get used to but his Sonata for Cello and Piano is one of my favorite pieces and a great starting point to his music as a whole.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
My opera singer girlfriend got me heavily into Puccini, arguably one of the greatest Opera composers of all time. His instrumentation is amazing. Listen to this until that first theme comes in again.

And if you're feeling brave, try and watch La Boheme in its entirety. Its fantastic.

Dont dismiss the idea of opera. I was apprehensive at first but gave it a go. Much of the classical you hear was originally written for operas. Once you actually give it a go and take the time to really work out the complexity and sheer amount of skill and coordination that goes into it, you can learn to greatly appreciate it from a technical perspective. After that, seeing one done in front of you will immediately make you fall in love with it.

')