Looking for some Good Power Metal

• Thread starter MorbidAddiction
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MorbidAddiction

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm in search of some good power metal bands and albums... This genre is hard to sift through and if anyone could put me onto some good stuff it would be much appreciated.

I like obvious ones... Blind Guardian, Iron Maiden etc

But it would be good to find some stuff that uses 7 strings or deeper tunings than E standard and perhaps is a bit more progressive in sound.

Thanks,

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Waelstrum

All Fourths Advocate
Reaction score
Angra: Power metal that can get quite proggy

Rhapsody of Fire: Symphonic Power metal that have their prog moments
(part 1)
(part 2)

Stratovarius: Power Metal (look up the member history of this band, no-one currently in it is a founding member, :lol: )

Sonata Arctica: Power Metal

Sorry I couldn't think of much with low tunings. I think most of these guys are in Eb. I know that Rhapsody uses D standard, I don't know how much though.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
here's some regular classic power metal.

your best bet is to stick to stuff recorded before 2002-2003 :)

for low tunings, well I dodn't think many power metal bands do it, but the best I've heard is Nocturnal Rites, especially on the album Afterlife. Probably not 7s, but some low drop tuning is being used for sure on most of the tracks..and the tone is beefier than on most power metal albums.

Lankles

Fuelled by Chicken alone.
Reaction score
You want good power metal?

Then the last thing you should ever, EVER do ... is click the link in my sig.

DON'T DO IT. NO ONE DO IT. Even if it is drop G# on a seven ...

Especially don't listen to "The Sword of Unspoken Misc", or "The Dragons Fly Around Castles in Europe".

Waelstrum

All Fourths Advocate
Reaction score
You want good power metal?

Then the last thing you should ever, EVER do ... is click the link in my sig.

DON'T DO IT. NO ONE DO IT. Even if it is drop G# on a seven ...

Especially don't listen to "The Sword of Unspoken Misc", or "The Dragons Fly Around Castles in Europe".

Okay.

ry_z

Ikebana Noise Club
Reaction score
Angra = :wub:

Some other suggestions:

The symphonic side of things:

Ikiharmaa

It's all white.
Reaction score
Kiuas is pretty cool, not using sevens afaik, although 7's would fit their music very well imo :)

How about Masterplan? Jorn Lande on Aeronautics <3

Sonata Arctica's album 'Unia' is nice too, proggy enough.

But for real, if it's prog you want, I'm pretty sure you were just looking for this:

CrossingTheEventHorizon

Reaction score
No-one has mentioned Pagan's Mind yet?! granted they are so much more than a "power metal" band, I like to think of them as Cosmic power-prog :) look into the albums Celestial Calling and Enigmatic Calling! They are both phenomenal!

MatthewK

Reaction score
Sonata Arctica - Reckoning Night

Has some seven on it.

Ironbird666

Reaction score
+1 to Nocturnal Rites, great band and one of the guitar players used a seven as well.

Are you familiar with Adagio?

Primal Fear - Seven Seals is a good album

Gamma Ray

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score

D standard, technically prog metal, but goddamn if it ain't powerful. Russell Allen's voice is made of power and awesome, and somewhere between the ridiculous musicianship the rest of the band come up with some brilliant takes on the power metal clichés that make it far more interesting than common-or-garden power metal in my opinion.

Or just Manowar. It's cheesy as hell, and their albums are full of filler but every now and then they come up with something amazing. Or just something cheesy. Yeah, their logo is an eagle with a man's torso. Wanna fight about it?

Dvaienat

Reaction score
I actually quite like this band, Symfonia. Quite original, in my opinion.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Definitely get the "Reckoning Night" and "Unia" albums by Sonata Arctica. The latter being pretty crazy. They're one of my all time favorite bands, and I stay away from most Power Metal because of the vocals

MatthewK

Reaction score
Definitely get the "Reckoning Night" and "Unia" albums by Sonata Arctica. The latter being pretty crazy. They're one of my all time favorite bands, and I stay away from most Power Metal because of the vocals

Yeah, Unia is great. I think that's the album where they really came into their own.

edsped

Reaction score

Lost Horizon is worth listening to if only for Daniel Heiman. Best singer in metal.

')