Looking for some rig help.

• Thread starter Miklagaard
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Miklagaard

Reaction score
So im picking up a Axe-fx next week when i get back from vacation, but im worry about a few things. Main two questions are that im worried about how i will make my live sounds because i dont have any pa speakers or even a way to hook the axe to my computer (that i know of), so is the axe even right for me? Also i do want to run it through my full stack but i want it to sounds as close as possible to the direct sound, what power amp would be best to do so?

As for the actually rig, currently im getting

Furman Powerconditioner
Line 6 G90 Wireless
Axe fx ultra
Voodoo Lab ground control pro
and im modding my crybaby wah to become an expression pedal
and then a poweramp, which i havnt decided on yet
And ill be throwing it all in a 10u shockmount rack and picking up a pedal board to hold the ground control and crybaby.

Is there anything else that i should be looking into picking up, like i said im looking to make this my rig for a long while so i dont want to have to start picking up other things later, expect maybe upgrading to an axe-fx II.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jjcor

Reaction score
Use the little green screen to make you patches and a matrix gt1000fx poweramp will be pretty close to flat so it will sound pretty close to your direct tones. But you gotta consider what cab/speakers your going to use as well. They're going to change your tone also. Just make direct tones and live tones.

LolloBlaskhyrt

HD Pro abuser
Reaction score
I'd probably go from AxeFx directly to FoH and the monitors on stage. But if you want a poweramp, try with the Atomic 50/50, Engl 50/50 or Mesa 50/50. If you have an amp head, usa that like a poweramp, going from AxeFx to the return jack of the amp!

Miklagaard

Reaction score
Normally im hoping i can just go direct to FOH and use the on stage monitors, in which case i would just have my cabs as stage props or just for a bit of extra volume. But sometimes venues around here have crappy monitors or not enough or whatever so i like to be able to have my cabs onstage.

As for my cabs they are marshall 1960b leads, most likely with the axe fx ill be using the 5150/6505 sim to start since its pretty easy to work with and thats what im use to now. Im assuming there is a cab sim that sounds similar to my marshall so ill just be using that. To my understanding i can split the path having 1 path with mic/cab sims going to the board and one without going to my power amp and cabs onstage.

After looking into that matrix gt1000fx it looks pretty damn good, it claims to be designed for applications such as the axe-fx and it said to be pretty flat and wont color the tone too much. One question right away i have is, is there any difference between the 2u and 1u version of it? Right away when i see a 1U poweramp i would want to put in a rack vent just to allow for more ciruclation, but the 2u version is much more open and has a bigger fan so i wouldnt have to worry about it.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I think the 2u and 1u racks are the same circuit and should both be adequately cooled. The 1u rack just has a noisier fan, I think. Some hardcore studio folks go bonkers if their rack makes audible fan noise, so they make a 2u version with larger but quieter fans for those folks.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
or just buy a whisper-quiet computer fan for it?

Miklagaard

Reaction score
what are some other good options for power amps? so far its between either the matrix gt800fx or the gt1000fx. They both seem like really good units but they are pretty pricey, i could buy a fryette 2/90/2 or 2/50/2 used for the price of one of these new.

')