Looking for something for Rock

OneLazyAssMotherFucker

OJ After Every Fap
Reaction score
Hey Guys. I've been looking for an amp that would be good for playing more grunge and nineties rock. something with a good drive but nothing bat shit crazy. Was planning on playing some Nirvana and Foo Fighters and music of the like on it. So I was just wondering if there was a rig any of you guys would recommend.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
Well, Dave Grohl uses a Vox for cleans, and a Mesa Boogie for dirty live (well, back in 2000. I'm pretty sure he sticks to that now, though. There was some Hyatt stuff on Wasting Light though I'm pretty sure). Kurt also used Mesa.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
yeah budget would be good to know.

Any old JCM800 half stack would do the trick. That plus a variety of overdrive pedals would give you quite a versatile rock rig.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
If you're cool with used, a JCM800 can't be beat.

But if it need to be new, I'd go for a Bugera 1990 Infinium (which is a JCM800 copy :lol:).
Sounds AWESOME for rock, grunge, punk, thrash, etc. anything from the 80's and 90's, really.

And they're cheap. I think $500 new.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
Marshall JCM 800/900 or PRS 2 Channel Custom(not exactly budget friendly at $1800).

If you want it fairly cheap, snag a peavey windsor and a good boost. These are good plexi-ish amps that can be had for under $500 all day, pretty much my old pop-punk go to as well.

Edit: Check out the new Marshall DSL 100 heads if you can, $899 new, and gets it all done without need for a boost.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
JCM800 (2204, 2205, 2203, 2210... Any one will suit your need), JCM900 MKIII or SLX, 6100, DSL100, YJM100 (if you can find one), Laney AOR or Protube, GH50L, GH100L, VH100R, Peavey VTM, Butcher, Windsor, Jet City JCA's, Mesa TremoVerb, Rectoverb, Dual Caliber, F-series, and maybe even one of the Mark-series heads, pretty much anything Orange, Vox, Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister, and Bogner Alchemist.

A few of the amps I could think of that will fit the deal. There's a lot of stuff you can try. Get some OD just incase and you're golden :agreed:

OneLazyAssMotherFucker

OJ After Every Fap
Reaction score
Thanks guys, been playing for about a year now and finally decided I wanted to buy some better shit now that I've figured out more of what I like to play. Now I have a good Idea of what I should be looking at.

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
When I think of a rock amp, Marshall is the first thing to come to mind. So if your looking tube, I will second everyone else's advice on the JCM line of Marshall's. I would look at a boosted JCM 800 or a DSL.

Bevo

Reaction score
Marshalls are the best for that type of rock but why limit yourself to a rock amp, any amp will do its just how you set the gain or boost pedal.
Also the louder the amp the more natural gain, AC/DC has a wicked sound and if I remember correct is just a cranked Marshall.

If you have not had the chance to really let a tube amp run your in for a treat, the higher the volume the less the gain!

wakjob

Reaction score
Pretty sure the Bugera 1990 Infinium is a JCM 900 Dual Reverb clone.
^
Which is a killer amp btw.

Yeah, anything Marshall will rock, as will Orange and vintage Boogie stuff.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
In no particular order:

Rivera Knucklehead
Mesa Dual Recto
Mesa Mark IV
JCM 800
5150 (not just for teh br00tz, Jerry Cantrell used them all through the 90s).

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Used DSL, jcm900, mesa single rec..

MikeSweeney

Reaction score
Man my 6505/5150 on the crunch channel with the pre on 2 1/2 and the post on 4 it has a nice crunch but add a boost = awesome rock

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
The new version of the Peavey Butcher looks promising, or a JSX.

And, as stated above, just about any Marshall/Orange/Mesa will do rock tones, as well as comparable Bugeras and other clone-type amps.

')