Looking for THE one

• Thread starter Dangerman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dangerman

Reaction score
Hello again :wavey:
I'm looking for a new sixstring to be my ultimate main guitar and thought you guys might have some good ideas and suggestions.
Here are the features I'm looking for
- PRS kind of body style
- pickups: Seymour Duncan SH-2 + SH-4 or SH-6 (or similar)
- Piezos (if possible)
- Tremolo Bridge
I love the Tremolo Petrucci has, does anyone know where it comes from?
The guitar could be customized or even custom build for all I care, and may cost up to about 1800$.
Thank you in advance :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mykie

Fatal Havoc
Reaction score
S2120XAV-00-01.jpg

This guitar is the nices 6 I own... it has the Quantum pickups that sound fucking amazing. The Piezo rocks hardcore too, the middle switch allows you to mix both electric and piezo sounds, as well as a 2 band EQ.

b3n

...Is unacceptable.
Contributor
Reaction score
Dangerman said:
I love the Tremolo Petrucci has, does anyone know where it comes from?
Yep, it comes from here :lol:

Petrucci model

It's not exactly a PRS body shape but hey, it's got the specs.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, the Petrucci bridge is an EBMM in-house design, and isn't available anywhere else.

Honestly, from the sound of it, you really are probably better off biting the bullet and accepting the fact the body shape isn't quite what you had in mind, and just grabbing a EBMM JP6 with a peizo. If need be you can do a pickup swap too, but you may find you like the stock pickups as-is.

Dangerman

Reaction score
Thank you for all the feedback so far, I love you guys!
I will take any suggestion into my consideration. I never spend that much money on a guitar yet, so this time it is really going to be my ultimate main guitar I'm gonna spend a good deal of the rest of my life with. At least I think so ;) That's why I won't mind spending some bucks more.
@ Drew & b3n: Argh, damn! I've been doing everything to avoid especially THIS guitar but it's always coming back to me. :nutkick:
To be honest, it might be perfect soundwise, though I don't like the ultra-slim neck. I just hate the look of this guitar, or maybe I love it. It's such a hate-love with it, i don't know :scratch:
Ach, I will have to do some heavy thinking again...
If there's any alternative option, TELL ME!!!

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Actually, the JP6 that I played didn't strike me as having a particularly thin neck - John used to use the Ibanez "Viper" profile, which was a bit chunkier than their Wizard or Wizard II, IIRC.

Dangerman

Reaction score
@ Drew: Ok, I've done some bit of thinking. Where would I want to buy that guitar? Here in Germany you have to pay around 2300 Euro for a MM JP in Pearl Redburst and Piezos on board, which is about 2930 US Dollar!!!
I think in the US they are selling them for about 1800 Dollar, is that right?

Roundhouse_Kick

Reaction score
Drew said:
Actually, the JP6 that I played didn't strike me as having a particularly thin neck - John used to use the Ibanez "Viper" profile, which was a bit chunkier than their Wizard or Wizard II, IIRC.

I have the ibanez and the viper profile is amazing! Still really thin, but with a bit more character than the wizards (it doesn't just feel like a thin strip of flat wood!) Best playing 6 neck i've played. Don't know how similar the EBMM profile is though.

Dangerman, if I were you I'd get one off ebay, the JP6's come up fairly regurlarly. It costs so much to buy one new in europe, its just not really worth it!

Dangerman

Reaction score
Roundhouse_Kick said:
I have the ibanez and the viper profile is amazing! Still really thin, but with a bit more character than the wizards (it doesn't just feel like a thin strip of flat wood!) Best playing 6 neck i've played. Don't know how similar the EBMM profile is though.

Dangerman, if I were you I'd get one off ebay, the JP6's come up fairly regurlarly. It costs so much to buy one new in europe, its just not really worth it!

Yeah, you're right! That's why I think about buying one in the US...but I don't know how I'd come off including shipping and taxes...
As of lately I've been watching ebay for used MM JPs but there's hardly any that comes with Piezos here. If I go for a Petrucci I wouldn't go without them.

I've sent a mail to Eric from Eric's guitars, just to see how I'd come off there. That guy has really been a pleasure to deal with last time I ordered something from him. If I would stay around 2000 US Dollar for a new one including shipping and taxes I would be happy as I can be. As I said, over here I'd have to pay another 1000 bucks to get my hands on it. :evil:

JPMDan said:
Thats about right for Brand new but you can always find a used model for around 1,400

Wow, that's cheap!! :eek:

steve777

Reaction score
Dangerman said:
@ Drew: Ok, I've done some bit of thinking. Where would I want to buy that guitar? Here in Germany you have to pay around 2300 Euro for a MM JP in Pearl Redburst and Piezos on board, which is about 2930 US Dollar!!!
I think in the US they are selling them for about 1800 Dollar, is that right?

Ah, your in Germany? Yeah, your only real options for a JP 6 are to either find a used one on **** with a seller who is willing to ship to Germany, hop a flight over to America and pick one up, or bite the bullet and save to buy one over there. Unfortunately, Ernie Ball will not allow their American dealers to ship out of the country.

Good luck and hope you're able to get one. They are fantastic guitars.

Dangerman

Reaction score
Hi again,
I'm about to buy a Petrucci from a nice guy in the UK. He send me some pictures of the guitar (wich is a new one) and I was just wondering about the bridge pickup. I've never seen a pickup like that in a MM JP so I thought you guys might help me. When asking the guy he told me: "The pickups are factory fitted..." Do you know what that means? I mean all I know is these guitars normally have some custom Dimarzios installed. I just want to be sure, so here are the pictures:

petr4.jpg

petr5.jpg

Nick1

Reaction score
JP is now using the Dimarzio D-Sonic instead of the Steves Special now. That IS the current bridge pickup for the EBMMJP.

Dangerman

Reaction score
Oh, I didn't know that! I just played and tested the EBMMJP with the previous pickups! Thanks a lot for the info!
What about D-Sonic, unfortunately I don't know it. How does it sound, what are its characteristics?
And: Wich neck pickup does the JP have?
Thanks Andy

Latest posts

')