Looking for unique pickups

• Thread starter alexatrophy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

alexatrophy

Reaction score
I personally don't like duncans. The only ones I have a fancy for are the blackouts. I want new pickups not something I have already played. So please no more posts about duncans. I wouldn't be posting on here about pick up suggestions if the only answer I would get is something I already knew. That being said yes how you handle the guitar is a factor in your sound... if you're playing dream theater or soloing out. Get out of this thread if you arent going to post something worth reading

alexatrophy

Reaction score
on a side note anyone have any suggestions for a really bright pick ups something really clear looking for something for really pretty up beat choruses. any pick up is game.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
on a side note anyone have any suggestions for a really bright pick ups something really clear looking for something for really pretty up beat choruses. any pick up is game.

DiMarzio Evo or Super Distortion, PRS Dragon II

I'd go Evo.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
OP... What are you talking about? Unique pickups? They're all unique. That's why they made more than one. :yesway:

BenEllerGuitars

Reaction score
That ol' D Sonic never fails me. I love that pickup! It is very unique-sounding, and extremely clear.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
I wouldn't go with the Dragons as someone mentioned earlier. Tried them three different times and couldn't get down with how muted and muddy they sounded...

If you want unique, I'd recommend you look up Wolfetone. He's a local guy that I had talked to about having a custom set made for me, seems to really know his stuff. I ended up going with BKP's simply because I wanted to see what the hype was about, but next set I buy will probably be from him. He was willing to work a bit with specs and he even has a cam set up in his shop sometimes so you can see him working, which is a cool (and unique :) ) touch.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
^i know what you mean with the dragons, but backing them off (Steve Morse style) solves that and there's still plenty of output.

WFD

Metal.Technicity.XXX
Reaction score
I appreciate all the feedback and I will look into all of these but I have noticed a lot of people talking about the popularity thing. its not so much that they are becoming popular its more that I am looking for something different and unique tonally. I love the way bkps sound but I want something a little crunchier, not necessarily more distortion. I love midsy pick ups without a lot of bass. I'm not looking for something super punchy. Thats what the bass is for plus I don't riff out all day. Again, I love the way BKPS sound and I hope to own some eventually but for what I am looking for in particular is not that of the bkps. I want clarity for the really high and melodic leads (Tritones like for the fallen dreams) but i still want it to sound really hot and crisp. I need some beef on the lower end but I need less bass as I play in Bb so the wrong pick ups can really make this tuning sound really muddy. So I'm looking for some crunchiness over chunkiness, if that makes any sense. I hope this helps with the suggestions

The Seymour Duncan Custom Custom does exactly what you said here. i can personally recommend it cause i played it for many years and its my favorite pickup out from the ones i have experience with in the duncan line.
Another option would be the Full Shred. also by seymour duncan. but this one i have no experience at all

alexatrophy

Reaction score
I REALLY wish everyone would stop posting about pick ups I already know about if any of those WERE what I wanted. I would already have them HOWEVER, I don't like duncans at all with the exception of the blackouts. I just don't like the tone I get from any of them. Why everyone keeps suggesting pickups I know about baffles me. I am looking for pick ups that I haven't heard about. Like the wolfetone. I am tired of everyones suggestions to all the pick ups i have already looked into. I could've just got to emg/ duncan's website to find out what everyone has said. Thanks for nothing.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
There's Google for a reason, man.

Nordstrand
SP Custom
TESLA
Lollar
Lindy Fralin

^Heard of any of those?

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
I REALLY wish everyone would stop posting about pick ups I already know about if any of those WERE what I wanted. I would already have them HOWEVER, I don't like duncans at all with the exception of the blackouts. I just don't like the tone I get from any of them. Why everyone keeps suggesting pickups I know about baffles me. I am looking for pick ups that I haven't heard about. Like the wolfetone. I am tired of everyones suggestions to all the pick ups i have already looked into. I could've just got to emg/ duncan's website to find out what everyone has said. Thanks for nothing.

:scratch:

Wolfetone: Wolfetone Pickups

TTS: Hand Made Guitar Electronics - Humbuckers

Personally, hand-wound pickups might not get you what you seem to want (tonally), but there are definitely fewer people out there playing them.

If I had to describe the main advantage to hand-wound pickups (barring any other factors) they tend to sound more open, somewhat larger dynamic range. Apparently, that could just be a result of scatter-winding. Personally I'm eager to try some of TTS' stuff due to very competetive pricing and overall pretty rave reviews.

OP Maybe look into Rio Grande, or even Suhr or PRS Pickups? Suhr do some amazing pickups.

+1 on the Rio Grande pickups. Great stuff. The Crunchbox is a ballsy mofo.

just picked up a Parallel Axis Distortion Humbucker. Sounds fucking awesome.

Suhr Doug Aldrich's are definitely worth trying out.

Reaction score

there's a difference between "knowing about" and trying out.

I thought I knew about Tone Zones (and I didn't like them) when I first heard them, pulled it out of my Charvel Socal almost immediately. Then, on a whim I put it into my Charvel 475, and have tone of the GODS!:hbang:

But I say, for my money, if I have to bank on being satisfied with any pickup. Duncan Distortion. They are good enough that I have no desire to use BareKnuckles, simply put, I do not believe that there can be significant enough a difference for the price. I might try out a Suhr Aldrich one day, just because I like Dougs tone, and the pickups aren't retardedly expensive.

Quit bitching about people doing what you asked. You asked for suggestions, and were given suggestions, now instead of crying about said suggestions, go put your money where your mouth is and make a damn purchase.

and no, I do not want to hear about how sweet of a "djent" tone you have after you find the right pickup.

wlfers

Reaction score
You guys he knows about them already duh.

Vinchester

Reaction score
The most unique pup I know and own is WCR IceBucker.
Try anything by WCR. You might be pleasantly surprised.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
Have you looked into the Decibal Guitars' Aurora Pick-ups? :)

Last edited:

alexatrophy

Reaction score
I appreciate all the great suggestions and I have begun to look into most of the pickups that everyone is suggesting thanks! I am sorry for "bitching" about the "mainstream pickups" and yes a lot of those do match my description but not what I'm looking for in this thread. I'm just trying to broaden my horizon of pickups that are out there. so suggestions about pick ups I have played or heard played on before don't really help me do that. However, I do appreciate everyone posting.

')