Looking into getting 1st 8 string

• Thread starter thomas.reuter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thomas.reuter

Reaction score
Hey all
I've been playing 7s for a few years now, and I'm itching to get into the world of 8s.
I'll be playing in Drop E so 27" is okay but obviously more than that is fine too.
My budget is about $1,000. I'm really intrigued by Ormsby, and I was wondering if anyone had ever seen a used Ormsby 8 in that price range.
If that's not possible, what are the best 8s that I should keep an eye out for in my budget?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ResistentialAssultSquadron

I like not this news, bring me some other news
Reaction score
I've played a couple of Ormsby 7s and 8s...nice, well made guitars...I've seen them used around the $900-$1100 mark.if you consider multiscale though, the fan on the Ormsby, from high to low, is too extreme for my taste. Legator and Kiesel have a much smoother, more idealistic transition on their multiscales...popularity of extended range guitars is making it harder to find great deals on them in the used market. I recommend saving a little more money and stretch your limit to around $1500-$1600 for something nice that won't disappoint you from a quality standpoint. Either way, good luck on your search.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
I've played a couple of Ormsby 7s and 8s...nice, well made guitars...I've seen them used around the $900-$1100 mark.if you consider multiscale though, the fan on the Ormsby, from high to low, is too extreme for my taste. Legator and Kiesel have a much smoother, more idealistic transition on their multiscales...popularity of extended range guitars is making it harder to find great deals on them in the used market. I recommend saving a little more money and stretch your limit to around $1500-$1600 for something nice that won't disappoint you from a quality standpoint. Either way, good luck on your search.

Gotta echo this sans, I couldn’t ethically support Kiesel. There are good alternatives out there. In the 1000-1500 range of used gear, you should be able to find a pretty amazing guitar.

Things to keep in mind. You need at least a 27” scale. It’s a good compromise if you go straight fret. If you go fanned, there are many different options. Ask tons of questions. Don’t settle if what you love is outside your budget. Wait and save. 8 string isn’t like a guitar really. The last four or so frets are more like a bass on the low string. It takes some getting used to sonically and physically. You don’t want to fight that battle with a guitar you don’t love.

ockis23

Be Excellent to Each Other
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey man for the budget you have there are some pretty decent options out there. Ibanez (RG852, RG2228(A)(M), S5528LW), Schecter (Blackjack ATX (depending on the year, you can find them with a 28" scale), Hellraiser and Banshee), ESP LTD (M-1008, JR-308).

I've never played Ormsby but the amount of fan (25.5-28.3) seems to be more geared towards shredders, personally not a huge shredder. I do however have a multi-scale 7 string that is 25.4-27 and that feels like a happy balance for rhythm and some lead work.

Last bit of input, I have played lots of Kiesels and several Legator. All the Kiesels have been well build instruments but also they are so personalized that it can be difficult to find one you truly vibe with or has the types of woods you like, there is always a trade off unless you get one custom build. As for the different Legators I've played, 5 different models, each of them have had issues with either and or a combination of paint overspray, sharp frets, poor pickup routings, and electronic issues. I have been told that Legator has made an effort to improve their QC but after multiple disappointments I haven't picked one back up to try out in a couple of years.

tarzegetakizerd

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm currently waiting for the delivery date of a LTD H-408B FM. Around $700 (awaiting the cost of shipping). Ordered it during a sale duration, though.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
Id say the ormsby is an excellent start. With 28.2 on the lowest end no aforementioned guitar will sound better on the low E , and with the 25.5 side no other guitar mentioned will sound better on the high E. Sure a smaller multiscale is easier to play but I think that con is worth the pros that come with the tone. The ormsby multiscale hits the sweet spot for all the strings top to bottom instead of just compromising in one area.

shredmechanic

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
At that price range I've had good luck with the Jackson SLAT8FF, Ibanez Iron Label SIX28FDBGNT(what a name), and the LTD JR-608 which is my favorite 8 string for under a grand(at used prices). I also have a Strandberg 8 and most days I prefer the non-fanned 27" guitars to the multi-scale ones.

You'll also want to consider how you plan to tune it. At 27" I have a hard time tuning below drop E without the tone going to mush regardless of the string gauge. On the Strandberg with a 28" scale length for the bass side I can tune down to C#, or the equivalent of the bottom string of a 9-string, using a .085 gauge string and it still sounds mean. Hope that helps and good luck with your hunt!

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
If you can pick up a second hand Ormsby within your budget, you should absolutely jump on it. They are well made guitars and feel lovely to play.

I had a seven for a while and only sold it because apparently my brain can deal with six strings, or eight strings - but not seven strings lol.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
I would advise against the Ormsby if you're a lead player. I have an 8 with a 3-inch fan, the drop E tension is unbeatable but the fan arc is too much on the upper frets for soloing, can get lost if you're doing anything other than scale runs, liable to slow you down. I'd stick with a 2-inch fan personally and will be doing so on future customs - there's a reason ESP, Ibanez, Jackson, Abasi, Aristides, Kiesel, Carillion etc all standardise at 2 inches. :2c:

Scale length differences are incremental adjustments rather than life-changing, a 27" inch straight 8 is barely any different from a multiscale tension-wise, even on the unwound strings. You'd likely end up having a preference for one after spending time with both, but not to the point where you'd actively dislike the other.

Seconding the recommendation for a used RG2228, quality matters most, and nothing under 1500 will compare.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
Brand new Schecter C8 hellraiser hybrid (28" scale) is $1050 in trans black burst. Very solid guitar. The color shifting one is $1100.

Thorsday

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Avoid Kiesel like the plague.

If I were you, I'd be looking at Agile Septor 827 or Interceptor 827 and ESP. ESP just released a 27" scale length with Evertune bridge...

I have Caparison Brocken 8, Agiles, and I'm eyeballing that new ESP LTD H-1008...

Thorsday

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
After a Vader 8 w/ Tremolo purchase, Kiesel brushed me off as a fringe user because I use a string thinner than .009"... Their headless nut design can't hold an .008" string, apparently. There I was wanting to support an American company... I digress... I think custom Agile Interceptor 827 is far and away a better instrument.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
After a Vader 8 w/ Tremolo purchase, Kiesel brushed me off as a fringe user because I use a string thinner than .009"... Their headless nut design can't hold an .008" string, apparently. There I was wanting to support an American company... I digress... I think custom Agile Interceptor 827 is far and away a better instrument.

The Kiesel would certainly be a better made instrument. I just can't support Jeff. .008 on the first string is not all that weird. The fact that he blew you off doesn't surprise me in the least though. American isn't necessarily better anymore. Schecter's USA shop puts out killer gear, and so does ESP's. Don't know if ESP's US shop does 8 string though. There are plenty of small luthiers in the world that could make a guitar that is relatively competitive price wise and would beat a Kiesel in quality and feel.

rawrxd

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Kiesel would certainly be a better made instrument. I just can't support Jeff. .008 on the first string is not all that weird. The fact that he blew you off doesn't surprise me in the least though. American isn't necessarily better anymore. Schecter's USA shop puts out killer gear, and so does ESP's. Don't know if ESP's US shop does 8 string though. There are plenty of small luthiers in the world that could make a guitar that is relatively competitive price wise and would beat a Kiesel in quality and feel.

I just wish schecter would do a stainless steel 8 with a solid color body and no fret inlays. There’s just always something small aesthetically that turns me away from their products.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
I just wish schecter would do a stainless steel 8 with a solid color body and no fret inlays. There’s just always something small aesthetically that turns me away from their products.

If you're looking at their import stuff then I can see why. The USA shop stuff is pretty classy.

')