Looking into getting a 7 string. Opinions and knowledge needed

finsgar

Reaction score
Hello all! So I've been looking into getting my first seven string guitar. I know im getting one from agile i just have no clue what to get. :wallbash: Every time i find one i'll hear about something else and not know what to do! Alright so i've pretty much narrowed it down between getting

This which comes with duncan blackouts
Agile Septor Elite 727 EB DNC White - RondoMusic.com

or this and upgrading to bareknuckle aftermath's
Agile Septor Pro 725 EB CP Nat Mahog - RondoMusic.com

I just got my band together and we're gonna be writing music like chelsea grin (Newest EP) and oceano and just heavy/melodic deathcore.

I also need advice on the scale. I want to get that loose string sound when popping that open B string but i've heard your low notes are more pronounced with a 27" scale? But i'll most likely be playing in drop A or Ab.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want opinions on Bareknuckle Aftermath's VS Duncan Blackout's

I also want opinions (or preferably a pro's and con's list) on 27" vs 25.5" scale 7 string guitars.

I'd also be open to more suggestions on other guitars.

Thanks in advance! :hbang:

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

UncurableZero

Reaction score
It's better to choose the model that you like the scale of, because you can always change pickups out. There are active-sized BKPs and passive sized Blackouts so that shouldn't be an issue.
Also consider if you like painted vs unpainted necks and hipshot-style bridges vs TOMs.

finsgar

Reaction score
yes but i dont know what scale i would like. I've only played on 25.5" 7 strings at my local guitar shops. I like both neck styles just as much and i like TOM's more but they have any combination in stock i just need help on deciding between blackouts and aftermaths and the scale length. a Pro's and Con's list for the scale would be really helpful.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
depends if you want that extra scale length. the longer scale will keep the low end tension more taught. as lready said, pickups can be changed out to anything since most makers make emg sized pickups now.

finsgar

Reaction score
with the tension higher will i still get that sloppy low b string sound? If youve ever heard the song S.H.O.T by chelsea grin the very first few seconds are what im talking about. I know i can trade pickups im just not really into the extra work and want it all at once. The scale thing bothers me most but i still want opinions on duncan blackouts vs bare knuckle aftermaths.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
I'd go with the 27 inch if you want tight strings. I have 10-52+68 on my 25.5 inch 7-string and I can barely fit thicker strings through the bridge, but the low B string is still pretty floppy. I want my strings as tight as possible though, so the tightness on a 25.5 inch might suit you.

finsgar

Reaction score
Would you happen to know of a place where i can get a mid scale guitar? Such as 26" or so? i've heard of them. My only beef is i dont really care for schecters. Theyre just not my thing sorry.

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score
^ My 25.5 Carvin Dc727 handles A quite well, as long as you get the right strings and the right set up you will not need to worry much more about the scale length as much. I have a .70 for my low A and it is super tight. You could probably go with a .68 or maybe even a little less. Not saying either scale length is superior/inferior, I just mean to say that you shouldn't get so hung up on it just yet. Heck, with the new PRS SE-7 people are managing with a 25" scale!

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
I had a couple 26.5" Schecters in Drop A, and I currently play a 25.5" Ibanez. In terms of feel, I don't actually notice the difference. I think I was running .62's on the 26.5" and I'm running 68's on my Ibanez.

I really feel that it just depends on your preferences. I like my strings to be quite stiff in feel, as well as being tight in terms of tension. I feel like there's a sex joke waiting to be made in there. I think my Ibby had .56's on there when I got it, and I was able to get along okay for a while with it. Either or will do you justice, though if you're like me and want higher tensions, I'd go with a longer scale.

Longer scale = more tension to reach the same pitch with thinner strings
Shorter scale = thicker gauges required to maintain decent tension at the same pitch

finsgar

Reaction score
I feel I left out some pretty crucial info. I'm currently playing on a epiphone les Paul and a first act modded 7/8s scale guitar. So the epiphone is already shorter than 25.5 as it's 24.75 and the first act is even smaller than that. So going to a 25.5 will already be somewhat of a jump. I do a lot of unison bends and vibrato. So if I get the 27 and hook It up with 9's will that be okay?

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score
Yeah, that'd be fine. Like Rev said, the longer the scale essential makes it so you don't need as thick of strings to achieve a higher tension. So on my 25.5 I use 11's and its pretty tight, so on a 27.7 9's and 10's will also feel pretty tight. I have tens on my Rg8 and it is very tight so maybe start there.

Latest posts

')