Looking to buy an active speaker for straight DI

deaddreamer

Reaction score
My ideal simplistic set-up; Guitar---->POD HD500 -----> Active speaker, well I have a guitar and a POD HD500 but I don't have a speaker and I have no idea what one to get, what ones are reliable or produce a solid sound.

Asking you guys for recommendations;

Firstly if I was needing to get a speaker tomorrow and needed one on the cheap, what would be the best budget speaker?

Secondly if I saved up a few months and could afford something a little more expensive, what would you recommend?

And lastly what's the ideal speaker for the job regardless of price.

I play metalcore/ambient post rockish music if that helps

cheers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LolloBlaskhyrt

HD Pro abuser
Reaction score
I use an old dB Opera for my HD Pro. But you can try with Alto or Behringer! My band uses 2 Behringer actives in the rehearsal room for vocals/bass monitoring and they sound very good. I never heard Altos but here is a video of someone who bought one!

deaddreamer

Reaction score
thanks for the vid, I had a look online and the ts115a's are very reasonably priced, the vid quality isn't great but I'm going to check out the ts today with a POD and see for myself

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
If you are looking for something quick, see if your local music store has Yamaha. I shy away from amplified Behringer gear, although their passive mixers are a superb deal (had a powered Behringer mixer that was unreliable, but that was several years ago).

If you are looking for a budget model, SpeakerMax is a JBL clone, and Carvin has great deals. The Excell 1504 or 1508 403: Full Range Cabinets With Single 15"
or the Carvin PM**A series Carvin.com: PM Series Active and Passive Speakers would be great deals if you can wait for delivery.

I had some Mackie SRM450s that were great, but if you want something actually built for guitar, Wrecklyss (yes, i work for them) builds custom powered guitar cabs. PM me or click the email link in my signature for more info. Our prices are about the same as anyone else's, but you get a system built around your needs. 10 Year warranty, Made in U.S.A.

flow

>know
Reaction score
if your going to buy a monitor for the modeling abilities in your pod, you don't want anything that is going to color the sound. you want a monitor that will have a full range, and a flat response (FRFR) like studio monitors. Alto does make nice, reliable monitors, and don't color the sound all that much. Atomic audio also makes superb monitors. if your just going to be practicing at bedroom volumes you could buy a set of mackie studio monitors that wouldn't color the sound AT ALL. The ideal set up would be some stupidly expensive externally amplified Mackie monitors, and some stupidly expensive power amp.
don't quote me on this, but i heard a rumor that atomic has an FRFR guitar cabinet in the works that looks like a 4x12

MikeSap

formerly mikeyENGL
Reaction score
I run my axe fx through a powered speaker and i use a mackie hd1221. I've tried the hd1531 which is amazing. But i seem to find that i get a better tone out of the 1221. It's an frfr monitor and it's compact but still sounds huge. Great for gigs and bedroom play. The aren't expensive either. Check em out!

Big Muff Pi

Reaction score
I found the mackie mr8 to be the best in the ~500 dollar range (pair). Leagues ahead of the KRK Rokit 8 imo. I recommend em if you are looking for something in that price range. The best way to choose a monitor, though, is to go to a music store with an ipod or something, and listen to a track you're familiar with on a bunch of different monitors. I wouldn't blindly buy a piece of audio equipment just basing my decision on reviews and opinions.

brector

Reaction score
Can't beat the Alto TS115A for around $300

I would go with Mackie next for more $$

-Brian