Looking to tune an old squier to F

Reynolds

You're bluffing.
Reaction score
I'm really glad I went to you guys for this, I asked the guy at my music shop and he was convinced I'd break the neck of my guitar. :lol: When this is all said and done I'll have to show him what it can do!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
I'm really glad I went to you guys for this, I asked the guy at my music shop and he was convinced I'd break the neck of my guitar. :lol: When this is all said and done I'll have to show him what it can do!

:facepalm:

This is the second time I've heard someone say a tech told them that... its plain fucking retarded! :noplease: If anything your overall tension on the neck will probably be less than with standard medium strings tuned to E standard.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
You probably want at least an 80 on that low F, if not bigger. 70 is like a rubber band tuned to F on 25.5" scale. Now I really like the low strings on my guitar to be tight so I used a 100w gauge bass string, but just use whats feels/sounds best.

This just reminds me even more that I need to buy fresh strings soon. My GHS/Slinky 'test string set' is getting pretty gunked up.

Reynolds

You're bluffing.
Reaction score
All_¥our_Bass;1340485 said:
You probably want at least an 80 on that low F, if not bigger. 70 is like a rubber band tuned to F on 25.5" scale. Now I really like the low strings on my guitar to be tight so I used a 100w gauge bass string, but just use whats feels/sounds best.

This just reminds me even more that I need to buy fresh strings soon. My GHS/Slinky 'test string set' is getting pretty gunked up.
I'll have to see how the set I ordered goes, it's already on its way. If I'm not entirely content with that set where can I get individual bass strings?

Demeyes

Reaction score
Good to hear you got it done. I tuned a Les Paul with a low F a few weeks back. It turned out ok but the tone of the bass string I used is a bit different to the rest of the strings. With 8 strings coming into production more, I can see a lot of people experimenting with cheap sixers this way.
As for breaking the neck, a well picked set of strings will have a similar tension all round to what you normally use so it won't be any different on the neck. Some people just can't get that concept into their head.

hypermagic

Fusion Neophyte
Reaction score
My fingers are stumps compared to yours

Sick stuff though, gives me the courage to make my own djent-caster!

Reynolds

You're bluffing.
Reaction score
All_¥our_Bass;1344907 said:
To Reynolds, what guages did you end up using?
I actually went for the 13 - 72 baritone set, I had to drill the hole for the tuning peg a smidgeon wider for that low F, I wish I were joking.:lol: I was going to buy an 80 bass string if things weren't how I wanted, but it just fell together great. :hbang:

But surprisingly, I'm really happy with the tension, more so, the intonation is almost perfect, I haven't even messed with that yet. Other than that all I need to do is fix the action on a few strings and I'm set... now which meshuggah tunes should I learn first?

As a side note, I apologize for butchering such a beautiful song that badly, I promise I'll learn it properly and try to do it better justice.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
You are tunning, F Bb Eb Ab C F right?

For songs, you should learn Stengah, Rational Gaze, and Closed Eye Visuals, Combustion, Pravus, and if you have the picking chops/stamina... ...Bleed!!

Man do I pick things too hard, I could never make a 72 sound good in F. :lol:

Latest posts

')