Looking to tune an old squier to F

Reynolds

You're bluffing.
Reaction score
I don't have the money for a real 8 string guitar, and for my purposes I would probably never use the higher strings anyways, so I just want to liven up an old guitar I don't use much anymore. It's already in a bit of an odd tuning, Bb Eb Ab Eb Eb Eb, haha.

I've been toying around with the idea in my head, trying to figure out what would be the best way to go about accomplishing this. Would the scale impede the quality? What gauge strings should I use? Should I buy a bass guitar pickup to get a better low end? Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Photo0667.jpg
    Photo0667.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Photo0670.jpg
    Photo0670.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 71

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Your going to need waaaay thicker gauge strings man, and almost definately a new nut for em. It'd be easier with a cheap 7.

Reynolds

You're bluffing.
Reaction score
I certainly realize I need thicker strings, I wish I had the money for a 7 string right now, but I'm still paying off a keyboard I treated myself to...

I just want something as close as I can, within budget.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Yeah. It should just about work with new strings and nut. It won't be great but it should do you.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
You're gonna need fuckin' suspension bridge cables to tune that low... especially due to your 25.5" scale, which is also gonna make intonation quite difficult. Strings that thick sound really bassy (you might even need to go to bass strings), so you're gonna have to tweak your amp settings majorly - a lot more high end, but I see no reason why it couldn't be done. You're gonna need a new nut (or have your existing nut filed out) too. A new pickup might be in order too, especially if your current one is stock. I would go for something like a Bare Knuckle Miracle Man (although they are expensive).

Best of luck man, this is a tough one

Reynolds

You're bluffing.
Reaction score
You're gonna need fuckin' suspension bridge cables to tune that low... especially due to your 25.5" scale, which is also gonna make intonation quite difficult. Strings that thick sound really bassy (you might even need to go to bass strings), so you're gonna have to tweak your amp settings majorly - a lot more high end, but I see no reason why it couldn't be done. You're gonna need a new nut (or have your existing nut filed out) too. A new pickup might be in order too, especially if your current one is stock. I would go for something like a Bare Knuckle Miracle Man (although they are expensive).

Best of luck man, this is a tough one

I'm not expecting amazing results or anything, but thank you for the support. ^^

What kind of strings should I get? Would a generic nameless bass pickup work for a man that happens to be low on cash?

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
You won't need suspension bridge cables unless you need that F to feel really tight. Somewhere between .070" and .080" should work fine. Remember that ESP has a 25.5" 8-string that's tuned to F# stock, so it's not an impossible thing to tune that low at 25.5". The bass pickup probably isn't worth the trouble. Just get a good guitar pickup. One of my guitars is tuned to low Eb, and it works fine with the crappy B.C. Rich BDSM pickup.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
having tuned to G on a 25.5" scale, i'd say at least a 75 for F.

Reynolds

You're bluffing.
Reaction score
Ask a user named All Your Bass, he did the exact same thing your thinking of except using a hello kitty strat :lol:

It kind of worked too.

That alone gives me enough hope to pursue this journey. Hahaha.
I just have the stock crap pickups that came with the thing, but afterall, I'll be alone in my room playing along with Meshuggah songs the majority of the time I'll spend with it.

It's too bad I'll never be hardcore enough to have a low F hello kitty guitar... do you think he does birthdays for little girls?

Reaction score
I just have the stock crap pickups that came with the thing, but afterall, I'll be alone in my room playing along with Meshuggah songs the majority of the time I'll spend with it.

It's too bad I'll never be hardcore enough to have a low F hello kitty guitar... do you think he does birthdays for little girls?

:lol:

Maybe..

Just search for his post in the extended range forum. :yesway:

Reynolds

You're bluffing.
Reaction score
If there is anyone that would want to sell me a custom set of strings I would be on that immediately. I'm experiencing great difficulty finding the gauges I need.

troyguitar

Reaction score
If there is anyone that would want to sell me a custom set of strings I would be on that immediately. I'm experiencing great difficulty finding the gauges I need.

If you just want to cheaply and quickly try it, there is a (GHS?) Zakk Wylde LOW set that is something like 11-70. It might be a little on the thin side still, but will be a good starting point...

Reynolds

You're bluffing.
Reaction score
If you just want to cheaply and quickly try it, there is a (GHS?) Zakk Wylde LOW set that is something like 11-70. It might be a little on the thin side still, but will be a good starting point...

That's a great idea, I'll get right on that, though admittedly I'm not so much a fan of his work. :lol:

Of course, if someone informs me of strings that would better suit me I'll buy some of those too, experiment with it a bit.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score

When Zakk Wydle's sig strings are too thin, you know you're tuning in the brown sound registers. But +1 to this idea, it would make a good initial set.

Reynolds

You're bluffing.
Reaction score
I just did a bit of work on google and ordered a set of baritone strings that go to 72, I thought it might give me an edge over the zakk strings. ^^ When they arrive I'll immediately fix that thing up and get back to you guys. Big thanks to everyone.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score

I think he's using a .110 because he likes the tension. :eek:

But I'd say on 25.5", an .080, more likely an .085 would be necessary here. I've got a .080 on my 27" RG2228 for E1 and it feels great at that tension.

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
Remember, if you go TOO high with gauges though, you won't be able to intonate the guitar. I say a .75 or so should do it

Latest posts

')