Looks like Fender is taking a page out of Carvin's Book

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
the ability to go into a shop, pick one up, and PLAY the sucker before you drop cash......
Which is actually not the case with built-to-order instruments.
Don't mistake me, I have met a few exceptional individuals running guitar shops, whose advice was invaluable, but most of them are students looking for a saturday job. Paying a premium for trying badly setup and banged guitars is not my idea of wise spending.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
Oh pleeeeease let there be an option for a hardtail Jazzmaster!!!

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
Some of you fellers seems to not realize the difference between semicustom and full-on custom, hahaha.

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
This is some amazing news, and I'm eager to see how it pans out. IF their prices aren't too crazy, I just might get some 6-string GAS in...

Orren

Industrial Metalhead
Reaction score
I wonder if this will open the board to a much wider palate of left handed instruments. Fender has generally been pretty good to lefties but there's been a lot unavailable as well. If that opens up, I'll be really excited.

As a fellow lefty, that was my first question and hope too!

Orren

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
I'd totally score a silverburst HSS with a 60's headstock.

I'm onboard.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Semi-update. This article here pretty much repeats everything in the OP, but adds in an official word from Fender:

Fender’s official comment as of late Thursday, October 17, was: “We don't have anything to share at this time and will be happy to provide an update when we know more."

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
ImageProxy.mvc

Design Your Own Fender Guitar or Bass

Very interesting, not as adept as Carvin's builder by far but this is a great step forward considering they can't really cannibalize retailers and shops by selling the same guitars direct to people. A Custom builder seemed like the logical next step. A bit high though for what you're getting, hardly any options that weren't aesthetic and I was already at American Deluxe prices without the American Deluxe appointments, seems like you're paying more for it being built as you prefer.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I remember that thread! Couldn't find it so I figured I'd open a new one instead of necro-bumping it!

12enoB

It's Boner Backwards
Reaction score
Haha when I read this I thought it would be funny in my head if they only offered Alder and Ash bodies with a variety of maple necks. Then I clicked on the site and that's exactly what it was. Doesn't seem like anything new, you can get these guitars without requesting a specific build... If the consistency from instrument to instrument is better then it might be something to take a look at.

Rylynn

Reaction score
"No HH configuration, no baritones, no Evertune, no carved tops, no 24/27 frets, no ebony = MEH"

7stg

Reaction score
Needs more strings, longer scale, H-H or HSH pickup config, 24 maybe 27 frets, hipshot bridge, string through, ... Well, this looks great for the typical fender player, but it's not gonna work for me.

')