Looks like someone's trying to resurrect Sunn?

• Thread starter Accoun
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

No info yet. Just a countdown/newsletter (95 days as of today) and links to socials. Someone on Reddit says it was posted to a Sunn FB fan group by an ex-Sunn/Fender engineer, so... maybe it's legit?

I know everyone's probably salivating for the Model T (for a reason), but I wonder if a Beta Lead reissue in an Orange Super Crush price bracket would be possible?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Luckily privacy was not turned on for the Whois lookup for sunnamps.com:

1683018577095.png

Appears fender is running the site. This is encouraging that something is actually happening.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fender is weird about amps, they acquired both Sunn and SWR and shut them down a decade or so later.

I know with Sunn they incorporated some IP into a lot of their late 80's and early 90's solid state stuff, and supposedly some SWR circuits made their way into some Fender branded bass and acoustic amps.

They did just spend some money updating their amp works, so I assume the added capacity means Sunn stuff coming down the pike.

Antiproduct

Reaction score
Sunn original Model T aswell as the Fender Model T would be so dope. Both very different amps but they sound unique enough to serve a niche.
Sunn Beta (pedals) would sell like cake too or something similar like the Orange Supercrush

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
This would have been great before the absence of Model Ts on the market created like 4-5 guys who seem to be doing really nice sounding, very handmade, high-end takes on the amp. I've had this link open in a tab for a couple weeks now:

Lemme know when Fender does a faithful Model T reissue in a nice walnut enclosure...

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
This would have been great before the absence of Model Ts on the market created like 4-5 guys who seem to be doing really nice sounding, very handmade, high-end takes on the amp. I've had this link open in a tab for a couple weeks now:

Lemme know when Fender does a faithful Model T reissue in a nice walnut enclosure...
My bandmate has a DCA model T and it ruuules. First amp to give me GAS in a long time.

He was also on the mailing list for this before i linked him to the thread :lol:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Sunn original Model T aswell as the Fender Model T would be so dope. Both very different amps but they sound unique enough to serve a niche.
Sunn Beta (pedals) would sell like cake too or something similar like the Orange Supercrush
I'm only going by YT clips and while it isn't a sludge machine, the Fender Model T honestly sounds really cool. Almost like Fender's take on an Orange Thunderverb. Would be cool if they brought back both and called the Fender version the Model T MkII or something.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
One of my regrets is selling a Sunn T50C combo amp and extension cab. I’d always thought I would just replace them down the road. They discontinued them right after I sold them so that never happened.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I had an OG Model T and the Fender Reissue. I liked the Fender a lot more. Heresy, I know :lol:

Very intrigued by this. My dad played Sunn in the 70s and I've always dug them. My first amp I ever owned was his Concert Lead, which I've been trying to find to buy back for years.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just lost a lot of interest with no Model T. Beta Lead would have been interesting depending on how it was done. A shame they can’t just build an amp with a T and S mode. It’s not the 1960s anymore.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

None of those companies are named Sunn. Name and cult-following alone are enough in this case (unless they really fuck this up) to bury them. Even more so if we're talking about super hi-end stuff.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
None of those companies are named Sunn. Name and cult-following alone are enough in this case (unless they really fuck this up) to bury them. Even more so if we're talking about super hi-end stuff.

While the Sunn name is cool, we're not getting our shopping list of blurbs on MusiciansFriend anymore, and I think the person shelling out $2-3k for an amplifier in 2023 is a lot more savvy when it comes to knowing what they're getting. If they're not making really well-made reproductions at that price, or basically whatever solidstate junk lunchbox thing for $300, I don't see them doing particularly well. And they can get right on out of here with their 100S and 200Sses.

')