Looks like someone's trying to resurrect Sunn?

• Thread starter Accoun
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
While the Sunn name is cool, we're not getting our shopping list of blurbs on MusiciansFriend anymore, and I think the person shelling out $2-3k for an amplifier in 2023 is a lot more savvy when it comes to knowing what they're getting. If they're not making really well-made reproductions at that price, or basically whatever solidstate junk lunchbox thing for $300, I don't see them doing particularly well. And they can get right on out of here with their 100S and 200Sses.

There's the common misconception on forums that we represent the majority of the userbase, which is quite far from the truth. Marshall and Fender are still selling amplifiers even though every boutique builder and their mum have been copying their amps ad nauseum for 60 years.

They'll be fine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
There's the common misconception on forums that we represent the majority of the userbase, which is quite far from the truth. Marshall and Fender are still selling amplifiers even though every boutique builder and their mum have been copying their amps ad nauseum for 60 years.

They'll be fine.

I mean... even when they do things right, they're a niche brand associate with genres of music that aren't particularly popular these days. I guess the one thing going for them is that an Axe-FX into a PA is a poor substitute for a big muff into a Model T, whereas that difference is not so pronounced in other genres.

complex-barb.0t

Reaction score
I am guessing their 100s marketing will be something like “Hendrix used one once. Get one to sound like him.”

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Weird they're not starting with the Model T and Beta Lead, but whatevs. If the price is right, I'd be interested.

Also, I'd bet a lot of guys who played Sunn in the 70s are getting back into guitar after recently retiring, so bringing the brand back now seems pretty good timing. Those Sunn pedals and effects seem to be selling well, so they might as well capitalize on it.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Weird they're not starting with the Model T and Beta Lead, but whatevs. If the price is right, I'd be interested.

Also, I'd bet a lot of guys who played Sunn in the 70s are getting back into guitar after recently retiring, so bringing the brand back now seems pretty good timing. Those Sunn pedals and effects seem to be selling well, so they might as well capitalize on it.

Cashing in on that market that needs 200W amps in order to hear what they're playing.

complex-barb.0t

Reaction score
Are these guys really getting 60 watt tube amps though? Seems like to be they are the “five watt world”/“edge of breakup” crowd.

Either way the Sunn name alone will probably sell these. I know I could not resist a model T likely. I want to experience one in person.

That might be exactly why there is no model T. The market for people that will crank those things is very small.

complex-barb.0t

Reaction score
Once again, why are we acting like the Model T isn't being reissued at all? The brand isn't even alive yet lol.
True we don’t know anything yet. But there is a non-zero chance they fold the whole brand again if those 100s amps sit unsold.

I have no idea what the market is for those things in the current market. Hope they are a smash hit and it becomes easy to score a new model T.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Screenshot_2023-06-15-08-52-28-42_e307a3f9df9f380ebaf106e1dc980bb6.jpg

owlexifry

Reaction score
it's kinda funny all this hype about model Ts when they're almost exactly the same as a plexi / 1959 super lead

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This would have been great before the absence of Model Ts on the market created like 4-5 guys who seem to be doing really nice sounding, very handmade, high-end takes on the amp. I've had this link open in a tab for a couple weeks now:

Lemme know when Fender does a faithful Model T reissue in a nice walnut enclosure...

There are also some great Model T preamps out there.

BrutalRob

Reaction score
Could someone please enlighten me on what´s the deal with Sunn T? I think i once red they are prefered for Doom, is that right?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Could someone please enlighten me on what´s the deal with Sunn T? I think i once red they are prefered for Doom, is that right?

It's one of those amps that has a fairly devoted cult following, mainly from the bands that used them, which are mostly doom, drone, sludge, retro/garage, and experimental metal.

They've been out of production for a long time, so as they've become more scarce and certain early users are now respected legacy acts, they've become more sought after.

I think there's a lot of hype, like most stuff like this, but they are cool amps.

')