Looks like someone's trying to resurrect Sunn?

• Thread starter Accoun
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nerdywhale

Reaction score
Lol at Fender trying to sell Beta and S series stuff like it's Model Ts. :lol:

Huge misstep here.

All they had to do was make a Model T in Mexico for under $3k and they'd be printing money and swimming in it like Scrooge McDuck.

The Beta was a good idea, but like you can still grab Beta combos for under $1k fairly regularly, some for half that if you don't mind battle scars.
Website FAQ says it’s a licensing thing and Fender isn’t involved… or, at least, that’s how I understood it…?

Also, if you find an OG for sale, buy it before Red Fang does.

image.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website FAQ says it’s a licensing thing and Fender isn’t involved… or, at least, that’s how I understood it…?

Also, if you find an OG for sale, buy it before Red Fang does.

image.jpg

Fender registered the website, so I don't think they're completely removed, and they do still own pretty much everything.

There seems to be a lot of effort to try and distance Fender from Sunn, which has a "doth protest too much" vibe to me.

It even says that Fender employees are part of their team, but then says they're not. :shrug:

Sunn Betas pop up fairly frequently on MGR, they do go fast though. I've owned a couple in the past. Neat amps but the Model T will always be my favorite piece of Sunn gear, minus some cabs I've owned that were great too.

Honestly, I don't care if they're Fender or not. It's cool seeing the brand back from the dead, and I look forward to what they put out.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
There's a '67 200S that's been completely serviced inside locally for $900 I thought about buying the other day, but I knew this was coming and was curious what a new one would cost. $3200? They high? :lol:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's a '67 200S that's been completely serviced inside locally for $900 I thought about buying the other day, but I knew this was coming and was curious what a new one would cost. $3200? They high? :lol:

Yeah, that's another head scratcher. Legit ones of these in great shape are never $3200...until now I suppose. :lol:

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, that's another head scratcher. Legit ones of these in great shape are never $3200...until now I suppose. :lol:
The best part of it is, on their website's FAQ, they mention that they'll be building the Model T in the future in limited quantities, but are focusing on releasing "affordable" amps right now because the Model T is expensive to produce. $3200 is affordable?? The Model T is gonna cost as much as a Wizard :lol:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The best part of it is, on their website's FAQ, they mention that they'll be building the Model T in the future in limited quantities, but are focusing on releasing "affordable" amps right now because the Model T is expensive to produce. $3200 is affordable?? The Model T is gonna cost as much as a Wizard :lol:

Translation: We got to build the hype because these new Model Ts are going to be $5k+ unobtainiun.

Also, what the fuck is so expensive to produce? Ceriatone has been making a pretty solid clone for years for under $1800. I mean, there have been clones for decades now from various sources.

død

Reaction score
Picking up a JPTR OhmMachT is cheaper, ffs

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Translation: We got to build the hype because these new Model Ts are going to be $5k+ unobtainiun.

Also, what the fuck is so expensive to produce? Ceriatone has been making a pretty solid clone for years for under $1800. I mean, there have been clones for decades now from various sources.
Exactly. Makes no sense why a company as big as Fender can't make these in Mexico for half the price. I'm cool with the Beta prices, that's not half bad for a brand new amp, the tube amps are more expensive than any amp Fender/EVH makes and that's the "cheap" one.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Exactly. Makes no sense why a company as big as Fender can't make these in Mexico for half the price. I'm cool with the Beta prices, that's not half bad for a brand new amp, the tube amps are more expensive than any amp Fender/EVH makes and that's the "cheap" one.
I don't think Fender has anything to do with this run. It looks like they are licensing the name and probably just taking a percentage of the sales. It would cost Fender a lot of money to tool up and market Sunn and there just isn't a big enough market for them to get all that involved.

chargrilled

Reaction score
Just get EVH to make them, those guys are killing it with the 5150s, Stealth, EL34s and now the Iconic. They have the expertise and manufacturing capability.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
They have the expertise and manufacturing capability.
It will cost a fortune to tool up, manufacture, ship, and market a Sunn amp. There is not enough interest in the brand to make the kinda money that Fender would need back on the investment. I would consider this a great business move. They license the name and see what happens. Sunn amps are a niche market. Mind you, Fender did make Sunn amps back in the early 2000s and they didn't sell very well.

Hey @MaxOfMetal - wasn't it the early 2000s or so when Fender tried to do a Model amp head?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It will cost a fortune to tool up, manufacture, ship, and market a Sunn amp. There is not enough interest in the brand to make the kinda money that Fender would need back on the investment. I would consider this a great business move. They license the name and see what happens. Sunn amps are a niche market. Mind you, Fender did make Sunn amps back in the early 2000s and they didn't sell very well.

Hey @MaxOfMetal - wasn't it the early 2000s or so when Fender tried to do a Model amp head?

I don't know, Fender put a lot of money into their amp works in Corona and Mexico recently. Nothing about these amps is overly complex or drastically different from what they already make. I mean, Fender did make some of these for years already, it's not foreign.

Fender reissued the Model T between like 98' and 01' if I remember correctly. They weren't very expensive, but weren't cheap. Unfortunately for Fender 1) originals were still somewhat plentiful and also hadn't reached the crazy pricing that came a decade later, and 2) the sludgy doomy stuff wasn't as popular.

The thing is, if we're being frank, as cool as the Model T is, there are so many pedals and pres that get you like 95% of the way there for a fraction of pretty much anything they could reasonably charge. They waited too long. The market filled the need. Which is why they're planning on just doing a limited run for big money.

The only other way it could work is bring something affordable to market that undercuts the boutique clones and massive prices on used originals and is attractive enough to steer folks away from the pedals.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't know, Fender put a lot of money into their amp works in Corona and Mexico recently. Nothing about these amps is overly complex or drastically different from what they already make. I mean, Fender did make some of these for years already, it's not foreign.

Fender reissued the Model T between like 98' and 01' if I remember correctly. They weren't very expensive, but weren't cheap. Unfortunately for Fender 1) originals were still somewhat plentiful and also hadn't reached the crazy pricing that came a decade later, and 2) the sludgy doomy stuff wasn't as popular.

The thing is, if we're being frank, as cool as the Model T is, there are so many pedals and pres that get you like 95% of the way there for a fraction of pretty much anything they could reasonably charge. They waited too long. The market filled the need. Which is why they're planning on just doing a limited run for big money.

The only other way it could work is bring something affordable to market that undercuts the boutique clones and massive prices on used originals and is attractive enough to steer folks away from the pedals.

Which definitely ain't gonna happen when these days, everyone and their brother is building a variant of a Model T dimed pedal and other shit like "this pedal going into a Model T, all in one pedal."

complex-barb.0t

Reaction score
Hell even the Helix/HX can do a convincing cranked Model T now. That works as well or better than a T-in-a-box like a EAE Model FeT.

chargrilled

Reaction score
l

The Iconic is a real shift towards a useable great sounding budget amp, EVH have proven they have the ability to produce quality at a lower price point. This could be the way, but then would that put off the purists who want a faithful recreation.

Or you might have to come up with something new that can cover the sound of the original but offers more variation. Still a Sunn amp at heart but offers something for a new generation of players.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
l

The Iconic is a real shift towards a useable great sounding budget amp, EVH have proven they have the ability to produce quality at a lower price point. This could be the way, but then would that put off the purists who want a faithful recreation.

Or you might have to come up with something new that can cover the sound of the original but offers more variation. Still a Sunn amp at heart but offers something for a new generation of players.

I think there's enough middle ground between making something as cheap as possible and going the opposite and making something over the top boutique.

Fender pumps out amps at almost every price bracket, including the EVH stuff, so I don't think it's a supply chain issue. It's not a design issue because these have been picked apart and built up by various builders for decades.

Like I said though, those were the options, either go for volume or go for margin, and it seems they chose the latter.

')