Looks like someone's trying to resurrect Sunn?

• Thread starter Accoun
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
$1800 for the 1x12
$2300 for the 2x12

Specs are...unremarkable.

:shrug:
Wow, so they just have no idea who buys this stuff or why, do they? 200W? There's a $200 upcharge for a SUNN badge on a Gemini 2 with less features. Lame sauce. I see this new version of the company folding in about a year and a half at this rate.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What?
Either I'm totally misjudging the market or this is not gonna go as they think it will...

That's what I've been saying. :lol:

They're taking a traditionally budget oriented throwback brand, looking at the scarcity induced used market pricing, and then trying to sell it as a limited, boutique heritage brand.

I mean it's cool they're planning on doing this all in the USA, but like, you can get original Beta, S, and various cabs for cheaper still. Maybe not as cheap as a decade ago, and maybe not as common, but I don't know what the market is here. I feel like the guys with money to spend on this stuff already have it or went with a small boutique for a clone long ago.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
If they were truly listening to the demands of the market, they would bring back Plush so that we can have an amp and an ottoman.

augjx4jltg43sdr4lnf6.jpg

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If they were truly listening to the demands of the market, they would bring back Plush so that we can have an amp and an ottoman.

augjx4jltg43sdr4lnf6.jpg

Man, I had an old Earth branded amp in the 90's that absolutely killed. Just mean and hairy. I've tried to find another like it, but no dice.

IMG_2941.jpeg

:yum:

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Why do people get so obsessed with such a weird amp that doesn't really have that remarkable of tone/specs/quality etc? I'm genuinely curious, if I'm missing something fill me in, but I've never heard any Sunn product that made a noise I've never made before.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why do people get so obsessed with such a weird amp that doesn't really have that remarkable of tone/specs/quality etc? I'm genuinely curious, if I'm missing something fill me in, but I've never heard any Sunn product that made a noise I've never made before.

Why does anyone like any amp? :shrug:

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Why does anyone like any amp? :shrug:
I see your point but it seems like people literally obsess over these things way more than most other amps, and they seem to have a more mythical status among guitar players in the same vein as the klon pedal or the dumble, in my experience with fans of them at least. Just curious what the appeal is.

akinari

Reaction score
Screw the model T, what we really need is an Enforcer. One of the meanest sounding amps ever.

fabronaut

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's future investor opportunities to Sunn on their site.
I think this is the key. it directly references GoFundMe and Kickstarter and refers to a new or reworked law (?) that now allows for a more distributed investment / ownership structure. maybe they're hoping it'll catch on and end up being some kind of moonshot cashout situation? kinda makes me think of that Star Citizen computer game being such a weirdly obvious long con.

could be valid, but... it also sounds completely insane. if the bios of the executives they stuck on there are accurate though, maybe they have a shot at it.

augjx4jltg43sdr4lnf6.jpg
this is so ridiculous. I love it.

Big Dumb Bitch

Evil trans lady >:3
Reaction score
Why do the 100s and 200s cost hundreds of more dollars than a Matamp or a Science amp while not being as good or cool looking lol?

Not having any new 4x12 or 6x12 cabs is dumb. You can't doom with a 2x12. I tried when I had one with 2 EVM12Ls in it and it wasn't enough.

If that 2x15 is as good as the old Sunn 2x15s it'll be dope but it probably costs way more than it should like all of the other stuff.

New Beta Leads are cool I guess. I personally think those amps are overpriced and mediocre and they have literally one ok sound. You can still get an old Ampeg V4 for almost the same price as a Beta Lead sometimes and they're better at literally everything lol.

Sunn is on some clown behavior shit and I won't be surprised when they go out of business again lol

complex-barb.0t

Reaction score
Why do the 100s and 200s cost hundreds of more dollars than a Matamp or a Science amp while not being as good or cool looking lol?

Not having any new 4x12 or 6x12 cabs is dumb. You can't doom with a 2x12. I tried when I had one with 2 EVM12Ls in it and it wasn't enough.

If that 2x15 is as good as the old Sunn 2x15s it'll be dope but it probably costs way more than it should like all of the other stuff.

New Beta Leads are cool I guess. I personally think those amps are overpriced and mediocre and they have literally one ok sound. You can still get an old Ampeg V4 for almost the same price as a Beta Lead sometimes and they're better at literally everything lol.

Sunn is on some clown behavior shit and I won't be surprised when they go out of business again lol
I guess they are banking on boomers and doomers having deep pockets. They will sell every single thing they slap the Sunn badge on I bet.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I wonder if the band will get an endorsement deal or a C&D.

Estilo

Reaction score
I've been saying this for a while. FMIC is doing the price gouging thing to the extremes. FMIC is at least part owner in this rendition of Sunn IIRC. Gibson gets all the bad rap, FMIC is much guiltier.

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been saying this for a while. FMIC is doing the price gouging thing to the extremes. FMIC is at least part owner in this rendition of Sunn IIRC. Gibson gets all the bad rap, FMIC is much guiltier.
This is why I'm shocked the Iconic is as cheap as it is, for how good of an amp it is. FMIC's price gouging has been horrendous, particularly on the Fender amps.

The Blues Junior is now in the same price bracket as the 40 watt Iconic combo. ($749 VS $899 respectively)

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
If the original people aren't involved I don't understand ahy you would get a new Sunn instead of a clone

complex-barb.0t

Reaction score
This is why I'm shocked the Iconic is as cheap as it is, for how good of an amp it is. FMIC's price gouging has been horrendous, particularly on the Fender amps.

The Blues Junior is now in the same price bracket as the 40 watt Iconic combo. ($749 VS $899 respectively)
I suspect Fender/EVH won't make such a pricing "mistake" again. You can sorta see this with the pricing of the 15w combo. I am sure when the big boy 5150 IV's come out we will see $3000+ pricing.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Insert Dean Costello Amps in this thread hehe

chargrilled

Reaction score

It was EVH’s baby, after the more expensive Stealth and EL34 Gold heads, he wanted a budget amp that sounded great for kids to rock out with and that was James Brown’s brief as designer.

EVH a legend till the end doing the right thing for musicians RIP

')