Looks like someone's trying to resurrect Sunn?

• Thread starter Accoun
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Insert Dean Costello Amps in this thread hehe
Hard to justify that if it's the Model T you're referring to when Ceriatone makes a clone for a few hundred less than that, even.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Estilo

Reaction score
I suspect Fender/EVH won't make such a pricing "mistake" again. You can sorta see this with the pricing of the 15w combo. I am sure when the big boy 5150 IV's come out we will see $3000+ pricing.
Well IDK about that but a recent 'mistake correction' by them was the other way, in the Squier 40th Annivs prices being cut 20% within a few months after launch.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Why do people get so obsessed with such a weird amp that doesn't really have that remarkable of tone/specs/quality etc? I'm genuinely curious, if I'm missing something fill me in, but I've never heard any Sunn product that made a noise I've never made before.
Avoid these questions for the sake of your mental health. I mean, think of the HM2 or fuzz cultists... :lol:

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I was just on the Mission Engineering site and they seem to be linked with Sunn. Check out the Sites dropdown.

broj15

Reaction score
Late to the party but this relaunch was pretty underwhelming. Paltry 100w class D power sections on the betas and other solid state stuff is probably the weakest thing they could've done. Site seemed to be launched when it was only half finished (some product pages wouldn't load) and I would bet good money that a majority of what's on the website doesn't actually physically exist yet in a way that's ready for consumers. Also seen more than a few complaints on FB groups and forums still waiting on T Shirt pre-orders from August.

I will say that everyone crying about the lack of Model T in the relaunch should chill out. All their whining made a lot of ex-Sunn employees leave the Sunn Facebook group. Especially considering they aren't prepared to shell out what it would cost if they were available (probably $3k minimum if not well over $4k). If they could afford it and wanted one so badly they would've already picked up a Ceriatone, Dean Costello, Verellen, IIIVIIVIII, etc.. Honestly if they were really "about that life" they would've bought a Model C built by the man himself when Mr. Sundholm (RIP) tried to bring them back over 15 years ago. Sadly that was before having a Sunn O)) was the hot trend so most of them got sold at a deep discount - probably at a net loss if I had to guess.

Also, what's up with people asking (and in some cases getting) $2k+ for a fender reissue Model T? Not like it's a bad amp by any means, but just a year ago they were selling for $800-$1500 at the most. Not to mention the circuit isn't even close to the original Model T and I'm pretty sure it's just a repackaged 80's red knob Dual Showman, but without all the bells and whistles: an amp that regularly gets shit on and can easily be found for $400-$800 if you're patient.

broj15

Reaction score
I was just on the Mission Engineering site and they seem to be linked with Sunn. Check out the Sites dropdown.
Yep, it's Mission Engineering doing a lot of the heavy lifting for the relaunch. They also had Rex Baker and a few other ex-Sunn employees on hand for consultation and just as a general resource when looking at the designs of the original line up.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also, what's up with people asking (and in some cases getting) $2k+ for a fender reissue Model T? Not like it's a bad amp by any means, but just a year ago they were selling for $800-$1500 at the most. Not to mention the circuit isn't even close to the original Model T and I'm pretty sure it's just a repackaged 80's red knob Dual Showman, but without all the bells and whistles: an amp that regularly gets shit on and can easily be found for $400-$800 if you're patient.

Because most folks don't know any better.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Because most folks don't know any better.
Or dont care.

I shared an old post on fb about jcm800 prices (asking prices doubled since i made my post) and an old band bud messaged saying he had just paid it since he wanted the amp. People want em, they pay.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looks like preorders are up for the stuff like the Beta Lead ($800) and guitar cabs ($1200 for a 2x12.) Yawn...

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I don't know about it being a Dual Showman clone, but I had an original Model T and the Reissue. Totally different sounding amps, the original being exactly what you expect, but the Reissue got heavy AF and could do modern metal by itself without a boost. That thing got super brutal.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Late to the party but this relaunch was pretty underwhelming. Paltry 100w class D power sections on the betas and other solid state stuff is probably the weakest thing they could've done.

Likewise late to the party, but this was the first thing I noticed as well, such a missed opportunity. The best thing Hillbish did IMO was pair their Beta pres with higher wattage power sections.

My roommate coincidentally bought an OG 200s just before the reissue announcement dropped. I'll be completely honest, it sounds like hairy dogshit. Cool for that "crusty clean" jangly screamo guitar sound I guess, but as a pedal platform it's, well, not. Also has very little EQ control. Solid meh.

This has been my experience with SUNN stuff on the whole. I had a Beta Lead 410 combo with the matching 212 extension as my main amp for years, it was super underwhelming even though I got tons of compliments on my rig during that time. I paid $250 for the whole stack and I wouldn't pay a dime more for another Beta, they're not worth it.

The one good thing I can say about that setup is it held value hilariously well. I sold the completely dead amp for $100 (the knobs were selling for ~$12 ea on Ebay so this was a ~$44 discount), the working 410 as a cabinet for $100, and traded the mostly-dead 212 for a BBRI Rat (OP07 gang) and $20 because the shitty altec-lansing speakers were "oRiGinAl"

Which is to say I got a BBRI Rat for $30. One of my better gear trades!

broj15

Reaction score
Likewise late to the party, but this was the first thing I noticed as well, such a missed opportunity. The best thing Hillbish did IMO was pair their Beta pres with higher wattage power sections.

My roommate coincidentally bought an OG 200s just before the reissue announcement dropped. I'll be completely honest, it sounds like hairy dogshit. Cool for that "crusty clean" jangly screamo guitar sound I guess, but as a pedal platform it's, well, not. Also has very little EQ control. Solid meh.

This has been my experience with SUNN stuff on the whole. I had a Beta Lead 410 combo with the matching 212 extension as my main amp for years, it was super underwhelming even though I got tons of compliments on my rig during that time. I paid $250 for the whole stack and I wouldn't pay a dime more for another Beta, they're not worth it.

The one good thing I can say about that setup is it held value hilariously well. I sold the completely dead amp for $100 (the knobs were selling for ~$12 ea on Ebay so this was a ~$44 discount), the working 410 as a cabinet for $100, and traded the mostly-dead 212 for a BBRI Rat (OP07 gang) and $20 because the shitty altec-lansing speakers were "oRiGinAl"

Which is to say I got a BBRI Rat for $30. One of my better gear trades!

I've had similar experiences. I bought a beta bass from a pawn shop with a 90's fender 2x15" cab for ~$400. Decided to move it because my Peavey musicians (MK1 and MK3) were both louder and were better pedal platforms. Ended up selling the cab for $250 and sold the beta bass to guitar center for $500, which means they probably tried to sell it for at least $1000, scratchy pots and near dead caps included lol. I've never owned a proper Sunn tube amp, but for my money I'm happy with my 2 fender tube amps (one 180w super twin and an Earth sound research Bassman 100 clone). I actually got both of those amps for about what 1 Sunn would cost and both have much more flexible controls than most of sunn's tube amps imo.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I've had similar experiences. I bought a beta bass from a pawn shop with a 90's fender 2x15" cab for ~$400. Decided to move it because my Peavey musicians (MK1 and MK3) were both louder and were better pedal platforms. Ended up selling the cab for $250 and sold the beta bass to guitar center for $500, which means they probably tried to sell it for at least $1000, scratchy pots and near dead caps included lol. I've never owned a proper Sunn tube amp, but for my money I'm happy with my 2 fender tube amps (one 180w super twin and an Earth sound research Bassman 100 clone). I actually got both of those amps for about what 1 Sunn would cost and both have much more flexible controls than most of sunn's tube amps imo.

Mmmmm, peavey Musician. This thread is now about old SS PV amps. My work here is done.

')