Loomis Dead Neck Pickup -- Wiring advice

• Thread starter lunaris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lunaris

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a bit of a problem with my Loomis. Basically, when I switch to the neck position, the sound is faint (like a poor signal). It's not the battery, since I've replaced that.

Anyway, I opened up the back to see if there were any obvious damaged connections and there weren't. Though rather discouragingly, a ball of solder just fell out. I can't see where from though -- perhaps this is a missing ground?

So it looks like I'm going to have to re-wire it to find or solve the problem. The questions before I start are (1) has this happened to anyone else (worth a shot :)) and (2) does anyone have any diagrams relevant to this? In particular, the selector switch (it's all stock hardware).

Many thanks for any help,
lunaris

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MacTown09

Reaction score
hey man this happened on my hellraiser yesterday actually. The bridge pickup just stopped working. I just opened the back and the bridge wire to the pickup selector just fell off basically. Check the solder joints by wiggling the wire a little and if one comes off the you have a winner!

lunaris

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. I restrung and checked the quick connects in the process, which were (unfortunately) fine. So, I opened her up, and had a look at everything. There weren't really any loose connections anywhere, so I plugged in and tried to follow the signal path (perhaps stupid, I know). In the end I spotted that the selector switch's connect wasn't resetting neatly all the time, so the circuit wouldn't complete. I bent it a bit back to match its partner and now all seems well. Perhaps I've just been a bit rough with the selector, but I'd expect it to hold up better.

Ah well, I think it's fine now. Thanks again for the help!

lunaris

')