Loomis Vs. Carvin

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rob_l

Reaction score
What neck wood does that have? I thought that they all had to have a neck through! But that body looks like its all ash!

How does an Ibanez xiphos 7 compare to these?

It's a maple neck, ebony board with swamp ash wings and a bookmatched swamp ash top... With so many i had to go back and check the specs.

I had a XPT707 when they first came out. Note that was past-tense whereas I have never parted with any Carvin. lol They're too different animals. One of which, unfortunately, is from Indonesia the "land of no PLEK machines".

I actually find the Carvin necks to be more comfortable as Im not big on Ibby-style uber-thin necks.

And beyond everything, Carvin can just do damn near anything with even less than $2k...

Like my Burl-Birdseye maple "Elite" 5pc body, neck and stock 727. All tung oil.This is just meant to be a skunkworks project for Mark K. at Carvin. They even let me pick the log I wanted for the top. just kinda to show how far Carvin will go if you want them to. And the incredibly boutique-class results they can produce for not a lot of coin. :)

--- A GALLERY OF MORE Carvin PICS ---

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

j13777

Reaction score
Sorry, but what's a skunkworks project?
And do you know the guys at carvin personally or something?

How do you take care of a tung oiled neck?
Are they likely to warp(maple with koa stringers)

And damn i wish i had the money to get one made!
The things i would do!!!

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
I am really over all these VS threads.

j13777

Reaction score
No its not, the neck on yours is maple!
Glad to see your finally starting to get into the forums a bit!

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
i'v owned quite a few ibby 7's, a couple schecters, and my current custom that i used a carvin neck for and it is by far my favorite. I'm actually chomping at the bit to get my next carvin necked guitar. i did like the neck profile on the schecters, but IMO, the carvin just has a different feel about it i love

IDLE

Reaction score
I am really over all these VS threads.

Come on everything is better against something. For instance, Conan Vs. Rambo...

Personally I would go with Carvin, they are better built in general. The only down side is the pickups and the LFR, both of which you can replace. There is preference though, you may prefer the feel of one neck over another.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
You can get a 20" radius for the 7x7's usually by calling in and asking the sales rep about doing that. I believe (don't quote me on this), it's around a $50 upcharge, but that can do it and have done it in the past.

That's correct. But, you can't get a Floyd if you go the 20" radius. It seems like you should be able to shim the crap out of the Floyd to get it to 20" radius, but according to Carvin they won't do the 20" radius with the OFR.

')