Loomis Vs. Carvin

j13777

Reaction score
Which do you think plays better and sounds better?

Edit: Sorry, a DC727 carvin maple neck with koa stripes, maple sides, hardtail, jumbo frets.
And the schecter loomis guitar, hardtail or floyd.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
uh... a Carvin can be anything, and most Carvins are quite different from a Loomis. CAN you give more details on each guitar?

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
The Loomis signature model? which carvin r u speaking of?

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
in my opinion, and ive only played like C-1 schecters, but Carvin makes probably the best quality guitar you can find under $1500. I say go with them, I never really dug my schecters.

Im a carvin fanboy though =/ but theres a reason for it!

kherman

Reaction score
Which do you think plays better and sounds better?

Edit: Sorry, a DC727 carvin maple neck with koa stripes, maple sides, hardtail, jumbo frets.
And the schecter loomis guitar, hardtail or floyd.

Totally different sounds.

The Loomis is a ash body.Medium tone wood.
Your talking pretty much all maple choices with the Carvin. Tighter, brighter tone wood.

Build quality.
I give the nods to Carvin.
It's top notch.
Easily up there with ESP Japan, Jackson USA, Ibanez J-Custom.

If I were to have another Carvin 7 string built, I'd probably go with
the mahogany neck and body for depth and warmth.
And a 10mm quilt or flame top to add some clarity and snap back in.

I do notice a difference between my new ST300 mahogany neck/body & quilt top and my '89 STs all maple.
'89s are definitely a more tight straight focused tone.
Where as the ST300 is more resonant full bodied with mids a little more pronounced.

My DC727 is the standard maple neck with alder wings.
It's probably closer in tone to the '89s, do to the pickups mainly sitting in the maple neck wood.
But, the alder wings do help mellow and smooth it out.
So the DC727 is not too bright and not too dark.

Another thing to remember, is the Carvin is 25.5 scale length.
The Loomis is 26.5 scale length.
So, the fret spacing is going to be a little wider on the Loomis.
But, many feel the longer length helps give the low B string a tighter feel.
Especially for those that tune lower than B.

I like the 25.5 scale of the Carvin.
I'm short and have small hands.
So it's more comfortable for me to play.
I only to a half step down to Bb.
So, the shorter scale isn't an issue for me on the Low B feel.

05back4vu.jpg

05dc727c5qk.jpg

j13777

Reaction score
I wish i had the money to order a carvin, but i have to settle with buying one used.
My guitar teacher has a carvin with a maple neck and koa sides, so will the carvin that i described sound pretty close to his?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I prefer the neck profile of the loomis by a mile, so unless i called carvin up and asked for that neck profile, i'd grab the schecter.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I think you may be able to. You can get things done for upcharges if you call.

JamesGregory

stereotypicalemgfan
Reaction score
I'd take the Carvin as you can pick out the woods and finishes, tail piece, hardware color, etc etc...

rob_l

Reaction score
I cop to all views - I have a Loomis FR, but I wouldnt trade even the simplest of my 7x7 Carvins...

The best of both worlds - Do a build like I did, just get a maple board. The general look of the Loomis, but the custom quality of the Carvin.... :agreed:

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

:shred:

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
I think you may be able to. You can get things done for upcharges if you call.

IIRC, there's no such option as far as their 7's are concerned.

I never played a Carvin, but I've never heard anything but great stuff about them. Well, perhaps the pickups, but then the stock Loomis has EMG's, which also get a bad rep these days...

Have you ever played a Schecter 7? Its neck + longer scale is certainly not for everyone, I tell you that.

j13777

Reaction score
Is there any way to get a carvin to sound almost exactly like a Loomis? I don't really think its possible since the neck will have the most influence in sound on the carvin!

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I'va owned both , but my Carvin is still with me and the Loomis is not.
throw EMG 707's into a Maple neck Ash winged Carvin and you should be able to get close in sound.

lurgar

Reaction score
You can get a 20" radius for the 7x7's usually by calling in and asking the sales rep about doing that. I believe (don't quote me on this), it's around a $50 upcharge, but that can do it and have done it in the past.

j13777

Reaction score
Do you think i could get an ash top on a carvin? that would probably bring it closer to sounding like the loomis!

rob_l

Reaction score
I'm sure they would do a Swamp Ash top if you didnt wanna just go with a solid Ash body....

I have an Ash body / maple neck 747. Here's the pic from GIS. Fairly cheap from what I recall.

Mine..
105250b.jpg

As for tone - The Loomis uses the ubiquitously sterile EMGs. Yes the Carvin has slightly smaller routes - But it's easier to route a bit out to add an active or other pup than it is to fill in that 707 swimming pool bass-pup route .... lol :) ;)

The Carvin has a level of customization and customer service that really goes above and beyond - I have over 35 Carvin 7 strings at the moment. So, I'm biased. But, like I said - I have a Loomis as well. It just doesnt get played much. ;)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Have you ever played a Schecter 7? Its neck + longer scale is certainly not for everyone, I tell you that.

My first 7 was a C7 blackjack, my 2nd 7 was a DC727 - i've had some time on both. In a room of about 5 or 6 guys from this very forum, we were all suprised that the DC727 neck felt chunkier than the C7 hellraiser we also had present.

I'm not a big fan of the regular C7 neck or the DC727, but I'd probably go with the C7 in terms of which I personally prefer for feel. The DC727 had SS frets, felt nice in terms of fretboard radius and bends etc, but the neck was not for me - JJ or Centaur currently have it, and I bought it from ibzorange.

6-string carvins, I can get into :yesway:

j13777

Reaction score
I'm sure they would do a Swamp Ash top if you didnt wanna just go with a solid Ash body....

I have an Ash body / maple neck 747. Here's the pic from GIS. Fairly cheap from what I recall.

Mine..
105250b.jpg

As for tone - The Loomis uses the ubiquitously sterile EMGs. Yes the Carvin has slightly smaller routes - But it's easier to route a bit out to add an active or other pup than it is to fill in that 707 swimming pool bass-pup route .... lol :) ;)

The Carvin has a level of customization and customer service that really goes above and beyond - I have over 35 Carvin 7 strings at the moment. So, I'm biased. But, like I said - I have a Loomis as well. It just doesnt get played much. ;)

What neck wood does that have? I thought that they all had to have a neck through! But that body looks like its all ash!

How does an Ibanez xiphos 7 compare to these?

')