Loopers ?

• Thread starter mongey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
Ok so I’m just dicking around with playing at the moment by myself. Both my timeline and empress reverb both built in looping options that I am using, but the workflow of it is kinda annoying. Switching between modes and stuff.
Thinking of just getting a dedicated looper.

What you all using ?

The boss rc 5 sounds pretty good , but I had the first version of their single size looper years ago and the controls were painful to use. But looks like they have sorted that by having a better interface now.

not looking for anything too big or with crazy features. Just your standard looping fare. Being able to save like the boss would be good.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

quad7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Boss RC-3 and RC-5 are not that different in terms of the basic operation. The LCD display on the 5 is a big help and there's an improvement to 32 bit dynamic range which you may or may not notice.

The footswitch operation is the same. You can add external switches which allow you to stop with a single press and switch memory locations.

eclecto-acoustic

"That" guy.
Reaction score
I'd stick with the Boss range for your needs. They all store phrases (the RC-1 only stores the last recorded one) and can be found for not TOO much money.

I use the Boomerang III (since you asked), but it is very much a performance looper and is expensive-ish, doesn't save loops, is big, and has many features.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
I have an RC-10R. It’s pretty good and simple to use. Also has built in drums if you’re interested in that at all. They’re good, not great, but they’re serviceable.

BurningRome

Reaction score

Mike Sullivan of Russian Circles is one of the few guitarists I can think of that has incorporated live looping into their show really well. He's using the Akai Headrush and Digitech Stereo Jamman, both I've owned.

I loved the Akai headrush. It ran stereo and you could hook up two amps, play your part then when you end the loop you recorded it will play out of the other amp and not play out of the main signal which I thought was fantastic. I just didn't like that I couldn't store loops so I sold it and went with the Jamman. I've tried the smaller boss sized jammans and they're fine but as smooth to use as the larger jamman.

I've spent a lot of time trying to find the perfect looper for a good not crazy price. The best is the large jamman in my opinion. There are better loopers but you'll to be willing to spend.

Question is what are you looking for in a looper? I wanted memory and I mean more than 10 or 20 slots.

mongey

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Watched a few vids. I’m actually digging the ditto x4. seems a cool set up to just mess around with some sounds.

0rimus

Reaction score
I've been plugging straight into an amp and skipping all the fun toys. But I bought a Pigtronix Infinity Loop 2. When I get around to using it I'll try and do a short write-up. But man does it look gorgeous.

I used to muck around with a ditto 2x after watching too many of Dennis Kayzers videos on Youtube.

One thing to keep in mind is that layering loops together is, well, really really fucking hard. I kinda gave up and sold my ditto 2x.

It's really a different skillset/mindset to adjust to.

mongey

Reaction score
watching a bunch of vids and I'm def leaning towards the ditto x4. I really like the look of its workflow. its doesn't have memory banks, record for 13 hours , quantize or drums, but I don't know that I actually want any of that . looks fun to drink some beer and play around with, which is what I want .

The pigtronix infinity 2 also looks similar to the ditto. Ill check it

do any of you guys run the drum loops on the boss loopers through your amp ? don't know how I feel about that

')