Loose Truss Rod

havocvulture10

Reaction score
Today I was planning on adjusting the action on my RG7321FM.
The neck is fairly straight and there is a little fret buzz around the 1st-3rd frets, so I started to loosen the truss rod. Almost immediately the truss rod was completely loose!

I cannot loosen anymore than I already have and even with the strings tightened the neck has no bow to it at all.

Is this a big problem? Is the truss rod possibly broken? I do not have any money for repairs so if it is, I'm screwed. I just finished replacing the pickups and pots about a week ago. Any info would be great.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
Its more than likely not broken, my Warlock is like that and its only e few months old.

havocvulture10

Reaction score
I think its highly unlikely that its broken, I'm hoping at least. I've just never had this issue with any of my other guitars.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I've seen this before (several times in fact), it's just like they didn't get it placed correctly (I'm guessing, as I'm not a builder).

You can always, as you probably already know, go up to a larger guage or tune a note higher with your current set. Of coarse that sucks also if you already have a strong setup preference and don't wanna change.

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
I've seen this before (several times in fact), it's just like they didn't get it placed correctly (I'm guessing, as I'm not a builder).

You can always, as you probably already know, go up to a larger guage or tune a note higher with your current set. Of coarse that sucks also if you already have a strong setup preference and don't wanna change.
I'd guess that as well. on my old Acoustic the truss rod fell out :lol:. If all else fails just up the string gauge. I recently had to but a 52 on my bottom to replace the 49 I had for Drop Db, along with a truss rod adjustment to get buzzing to stop. May have to go to 12's on the bottom 3 all together.

havocvulture10

Reaction score

Do you know if I, or a tech, could set it properly if this is the case?

I really dont want to increase the gauge, I'm already playing with 59 in D standard... I'm gonna restring it tomorrow and see if i can fix it... Thanks guys.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Do you know if I, or a tech, could set it properly if this is the case?

I really dont want to increase the gauge, I'm already playing with 59 in D standard... I'm gonna restring it tomorrow and see if i can fix it... Thanks guys.

Yeah, don't blame you for not wanting to go any tighter, I'd think 59s in D would pull any neck enough for clearence. I wish I knew more about truss rod installation (for my own sake as well), but I got nothing useful :scratch::wallbash:.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes, depending on what strings and such you are using, your truss rod is not acting at that point of movement, due to its current position and the relative position of the neck/route it sits in. The truss rod acts against the neck as needed, depending on how you have it set up. Single action rods can only apply compression to top it off (and this sounds more like what you have in yours). Depending how the neck settles over the years will dictate to some extent how the truss rod is required.

Some truss rods just have amazingly smooth action, some are very very stiff. Put my G&L beside my bass and you get both worlds, but both rods are functional.

For buzz at frets 1-3 you check the nut, you don't adjust the truss rod.

Squishdom

Reaction score
It's not a truss rod issue, it's a nut height issue. The measurement between the bottom of the first and sixth string to the top of the first fret should be .018mm. Your RG has a dual action truss rod too...

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
IMO the best way to tell if it's a truss adjustment issue vs a nut repair/adjustment issue is;

Does the string buzz just as much when fretted at the first fret as it does when played open (when struck with equal attack both ways of coarse).

If your getting an equal amount of buzz when fretting at the 1st or even 2nd/3rd as you do the open, then it is a truss adjustment issue. And conversely if the open buzzing is more appearent then it's likely a nut height problem.

If it were buzzing just as much at the 7th fret on up then it's an action or a combination of an action slash truss deal.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
It's not a truss rod issue, it's a nut height issue. The measurement between the bottom of the first and sixth string to the top of the first fret should be .018mm. Your RG has a dual action truss rod too...

This might work alright under certain conditions (tight tension, thinner pick, soft touch/attack), but with the huge-ass strings many on here prefer, looser tension, super heavy picks and the longing to really dig in with the attack, more clearence will certainly be needed. Of coarse it comes down to personal style/preference though.

havocvulture10

Reaction score
Wow i completely lost this thread! There is definitely less buzz on the 7th string when played open, so i doubt its a nut issue. There was still some buzz when fretted tho, some slight adjustment fixed that :yesway:
Thanks for all the feedback!

')